On campus job (or close to campus)

<p>How hard/easy are they to come by?</p>

<p>As an out of state student my tuition is going to be a bit pricy so im looking to work at least part time throughout the school year to help my parents out</p>

<p>also</p>

<p>do students find it hard to balance a job with their coursework?</p>

<p>thanks</p>

<p>Are you living in a dorm? Approximately 1700 students in dorms work for the Housing Department:</p>

<p>[Employment-Students</a> | University Housing at UW-Madison](<a href=“http://www.housing.wisc.edu/jobs/student]Employment-Students”>http://www.housing.wisc.edu/jobs/student)</p>

<p>Here is a link to the listing of UW and non-UW job openings:
[UW</a> Student Jobcenter](<a href=“Student Jobs – UW–Madison”>http://jobcenter.wisc.edu/)</p>

<p>They’re not hard to come by if you apply broadly and relatively early. Take a look at the Student Jobcenter.</p>

<p>[UW</a> Student Jobcenter](<a href=“Student Jobs – UW–Madison”>http://jobcenter.wisc.edu/)</p>

<p>For me, it is not hard to balance schoolwork. I work 12 hours a week with 17 credits. I get to choose my hours and how many days a week I work, but I’m not sure how common this is. With a job this semester, I’ve seen my grades improve (and I’m taking 3 more credits than last semester!) because I’m forced to manage my time more efficiently.</p>

<p>Also, you get a student bus pass to ride any Madison bus for free, so if you see a job you may be interested in that is a bit further away from campus, don’t let that deter you! :)</p>

<p>Please do NOT try to work your first semester. Give yourself the gift of being a new freshman without the added work if possible. Once you have developed a social network not being available works but needing to be gone when people get together spontaneously after school hours can short change you. Discuss this with your parents, I’ll bet they would agree.</p>

<p>thanks for advice wis75 ill consider that</p>

<p>dude how are you gonna pay for beer without a job?? </p>

<p>It’s really not that hard to find a job on campus. My advice would be to pick something up that offers somewhere like 10-15 hours a week. That way, you still have time to hang with friends and you’re also making money. I can tell you that having a job freshman year isn’t that bad, I did it. And having a nice little check coming to you every two weeks is actually pretty nice. Money seems to be spent pretty fast in college, and unless daddy is padding your checking account I think you should try and take a job.</p>

<p>A big question for yourself- can you handle 15-16 credits and a job? In order to graduate in 4 years with 120 credits you need to average 15 credits per semester. Getting more courses out of the way sooner leaves you with more flexibility later on- then you can work more hours.</p>

<p>Part time jobs are, all things considered, a waste of time unless you are getting experience related to your major or what you want to go into once you graduate. So if you’re a computer science major and you get a programming related job on campus then it’s well worth your time (jobs like that also pay a lot better than minimum wage). Working at Carson’s or some other random, miscellaneous job, gives you nothing but headaches and pennies on the other hand.</p>

<p>Some jobs can be a good way to meet people you might not otherwise though, and of course if you really need the money you don’t have any choice.</p>

<p>Another UW CS major had a different opinion.</p>

<p>Bartz transferred to the University of Wisconsin at Madison to study computer science, and worked her way through school serving drinks to lobbyists and politicians at the Hoffman House supper club. She exercised constantly (“like, 1,500 hours a day”) to fit into the required costume, a red miniskirt and black fishnet stockings, and wore a huge red feather tucked into her hair. Bartz had talked her way into the job, only to discover that cocktails were more complex than she had anticipated. But with help from a friendly bartender, she was soon earning tips from her regular customers. One evening one of those customers snapped her garter belt as he ordered a drink. “Then he looked up, I looked back — and, oh my god, it was my high school principal!” she says. (William Freese, the former principal, praises Bartz’s accomplishments, and says he well remembers the “little outfit” she wore at the club, but that he did not snap her garter.)</p>

<p>Bartz would later apply lessons she learned at the club — like memorizing her clients’ names, hometowns, and favorite drinks — to her marketing jobs.</p>

<p>Hoffman House - it’s now where the Essen House is located.</p>

<p>For those close to the margins every dollar counts. The job can mean the difference between buying a book that helps in a course or going without, not just extras many consider necessities. Therefore, if possible, make school your full time job if you can. For those who need some spending money those wages do add up. Minimum jobs are learning experiences- seeing how the “other half” lives, or just plain reminding yourself why you are finishing college- so you don’t need an unskilled job forever. Get established in school then consider a job- no honest labor is wasted. As a physician I have insider’s knowledge in food service and an appreciation for the work others do so I don’t have to. No student is above doing any menial tasks, no matter what the future holds for them. Life lessons, not just narrow minded career advancement ones.</p>

<p>@barrons:
I was aware of her story before posting. I still feel like her experience is more of an exception than anything else, though certainly anyone considering whether or not to get a similar job should keep it mind. There’s a big difference between working at a place like she did and other more menial food service jobs though – for instance, the skills she said she learned to apply would not be as easily picked up while working at Subway, where your interaction with customers is limited to banal pleasantries.</p>

<p>@wis75
I agree that every dollar counts, and I also see value in “seeing how the other half lives” as you put it. That being said, I think you can gain that same experience through other means, either through having went to a public high school, or through volunteering in the community. If someone was raised in a sheltered environment with no interest in branching out then it probably would be worth their time to get a menial job. Ironically the chances for them doing so would be very low, since they’d probably have enough money from their family to get everything they want/need.</p>

<p>You don’t get the experience by attending public schools nor by volunteering. Let’s face it, almost all HS grads are only worth menial jobs- regardless of their academic record. Also, don’t diss “menial” jobs- someone has to do them so others don’t and mothers, regardless of educational level, often do plenty of them. You come off as demeaning jobs you consider beneath you. You would be surprised at the jobs held at one time by many lawyers and doctors of any kind. Those low pay/low skill jobs helped us get our educations.</p>

<p>I’m not demeaning “menial” jobs, I’m just pointing out that usually the time you spend on them could be put to better use elsewhere, like studying. </p>

<p>Also, I know plenty about this environment and working world – I’ve worked at Subway and in retail, I got my first job when I was 15, and I’m a first generation college student. So no, I would not be surprised in the least by some of the jobs held by now successful professionals.</p>

<p>When you need the money you earn to eat and pay rent there is no study more option. Maybe that’s why I got out without large loans. I had a number of jobs at UW in the 70’s and all paid far more than working the line at one of the UW cafeterias. I was a waiter at two very popular spots on the west side one of which is still there-Quivey’s Grove and made very good money. Also worked as a researcher at an off campus NGO just off State Street for around $12/hr.</p>

<p>I know, that’s why in my original reply I said:</p>

<p>

</p>