Student Employment

<p>What is like to work on campus (e.g. Dining & Culinary Services)? How many hours per day (on wisc web, it says 7-10 hrs per week)? Will we have some free times to study?</p>

<p>Anyone can share their experiences =D ??</p>

<p>Oh also, if I apply to work on campus, will i have shorter holidays? ('cas I'm an international student and want to fly back during christmas's holiday XD)</p>

<p>Many many students work part-time and do just fine. 7-10 hrs a week is nothing. Many work 20 hrs or more and still carry a full load. You just have less goof-off time but working also can help make friends.</p>

<p>If you’re an international student, make sure you are legally allowed to work in the US. Working for Housing is still a real job and involves paying taxes, etc, so make sure that your visa allows you to work in the US, otherwise you won’t be able to get any sort of legitimate job.</p>

<p>Good point–internationals can work on campus with some limitations.</p>

<p>[US</a> Employment Rules for F1 Students (On Campus) : International Financial Aid Blog](<a href=“http://www.internationalfinancialaidblog.com/2006/10/us-employment-rules-for-f1-students-on-campus.html]US”>http://www.internationalfinancialaidblog.com/2006/10/us-employment-rules-for-f1-students-on-campus.html)</p>

<p>Thx Barrons and RoxSox =D</p>

<p>I wonder another thing… will i still have some times to do activities, clubs, or any sports??</p>

<p>Yeah totally, though since they’re usually at a set time each day make sure your schedule allows it.</p>

<p>It can be done. Food service work is not glamorous but helps pay the bills and often hours can easily accomodate class schedules- although getting up extra early to serve breakfast or closing out the late night place shifts may come with the job (I worked Res Halls food service eons ago). You do need to check on visa rules. </p>

<p>No students can do every activity they become interested in, even without working, as there are far too many to choose from. Academics needs to come first- that is your ticket to a good future. How many hours a student can work depends on the time spent in classes, the workload and their abilities. Some may breeze through classes many need to spend a lot of time on. Some choose more or fewer credits to accomodate a work schedule. You decide your priorities.</p>

<p>I’ve never been to Madison (/ USA) before and so do you think it would be better for me to go there first and get used to the new place, then apply for the job?</p>

<p>Do many international freshmen apply for the job? (If you don’t know, it’s okay…i just wonder.)</p>

<p>Thx for the advices XD</p>

<p>You will have to apply in the summer. Housing jobs fill up very quickly and there will be no places by the beginning of the semester.</p>

<p>Best to first be a student, especially being new to the US and the campus. Enjoy your college start. Once you know the campus and classes you will be much better able to consider a job.</p>

<p>On-campus jobs will be harder to find after the start of the semester, however, and I don’t know if your visa will allow off-campus work. It might be nicer to wait until school starts, but then you might not be able to find anything. There are many on-campus jobs available in the various academic departments, but they need to be gotten before school starts (they will often do phone interviews if you can’t make it to Madison). Just know your options.</p>

<p>Nooooooo, get the job with Housing now if you have any intention of working there this year. There was a wait list last year after classes started for people trying to get those jobs. I’d count on that being the case this year as well, given the state of the US economy right now. University wages are tax free, which is nice - not sure if this is the same for international students.</p>