Jobs On/Near Campus

<p>Hello everyone.</p>

<p>I will be attending this Fall, and I plan on having a job while being at school. I was wondering if anyone has any input on places on or near campus to work that offer the flexibility that a student requires, or any input of close by jobs in general. Also, I do not really want to work in food service, and I have a ton of retail experience.</p>

<p>Thanks for any input!</p>

<p><a href=“http://jobcenter.wisc.edu”>http://jobcenter.wisc.edu</a>
This should be the place to start. </p>

<p>I know it may not seem glamorous, but working in the Dining Halls is probably your best choice. Retail jobs on campus are few and far between, don’t pay as well as the Dining Halls, and often offer pretty crappy hours. </p>

<p>I work at Four Lakes Market as a cashier, at the coffee shop, on the grill, and making pasta. Each shift I work offers something different (though you don’t have to schedule it like that), and you can work as little as 2 hours a shift if you want. They have very generous exam week policies and are understanding to the academic needs of a college students.</p>

<p>The main office/disciplinary staff is all students and so are the supervisors. After being there a year, I feel like I go to hangout instead of going to do work. </p>

<p>Beggars can’t be choosers, but good luck in your search. </p>

<p>Ditto on considering a Res Halls job. Agree on the camaraderie. Many future doctors et al have been serving students (my start was the scrape line- we got “yelled” at for being too loud singing Christmas carols once on the dishwasher loading/unloading line- eventually moved on to cashier) eons ago. The jobs aren’t glamorous- but consider your HS diploma skills. The best thing is the flexibility in matching your job schedule to your academic schedule instead of trying to work your classes around your job. This was especially nice around exam time- they know students’ first priority is school. It was also interesting to learn how food service operates. </p>

<p>And, students living in Res Halls get priority in getting jobs in dining halls and dorms. At last for dining hall jobs, you get to move into the dorms early because you have training a few days before rest of campus moves in (and starts eating in dining halls). </p>

<p>The University could not operate without its student employees. Besides food service-related positions, students also work as custodians and office associates. The Office of Human Resources Development uses numerous students to assist with training courses. There are also jobs in the libraries and many, many computer-related positions in DoIT. </p>

<p>I would be careful as a first year student though about taking on too much work until you settle in at the University.</p>

<p>Agree on NOT working freshman year if possible. I had a few semesters in when I worked for Res Halls. Better to take more credits your first semesters if you can handle them and have the luxury of not needing as many later so you have more time to work. I know there are reports out there that state students who work may do better. However that could be for students with a light/typical course load, not those who hit the academics hard (my 17 credits were only 4 classes but at least 20 hours in class time, plus Honors level in some- I had plenty to keep me busy). I was on a very tight budget. Decades later the classes given up to have a light enough load to work mean more than the extra money earned at student wages. You will have time to make up the wages later in life but can never replace the college experiences and classes.Those on Work Study do need to work, of course- better that than not attending UW at all.</p>