On community college courses and high school transcripts

<p>My guidance counselor told me that at the end of this year (junior year), the school would automatically send our high school transcripts to the UC’s if we were on our way to meeting the general requirements for admission. She also told me to have any of my community college transcripts sent to her, so she could put those grades onto my high school transcript and the UC’s could see those grades as well. </p>

<p>I’ve taken multivariable calculus as well as some other classes at the local community college, but my question is about transfer credit. Because I live in CA, I know that the UC’s should accept my community college courses, but I heard somewhere that community college grades listed on a high school transcript are not transferable. Can anyone clarify?</p>

<p>Send your community college transcript separately. Completely ignore your counselor's advice. As long as you listed those CC grades on your UC application, IT'S OKAY. It doesn't make a difference if your CC grades are recorded on your high school transcript. Send in both transcripts.</p>

<p>I had my CC grades on my high school transcript. I didn't get credit for them because I didn't send in an official transcript FROM the CC I went to.</p>

<p>I agreed with Emmeline: send both. Your official CC transcript will show the transferables and get you the UC credits.</p>

<p>I sent my HS an official CC transcript in 9th grade and got HS credits. But since 10th G, I no longer wanted my CC courses listed on my HS transcript, because I found out that a CC course only gets a 4.0 for A, while an AP course gets a 5 for A. If I have them included, I would actually get a lower weighted GPA. Ask your counselor how your school credits your CC courses.</p>

<p>Most likely your counselor is trying to prepare your transcripts for the Eligibility in the Local Context (ELC) process. Please visit <a href="http://ucop.edu/sas/elc%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://ucop.edu/sas/elc&lt;/a> for more information about the program. The UC system will only ask for your high school records and will not receive any college records. If you would like to your college level courses reported to help in the ELC process you would need to have those grades reported on your high school transcripts. Once admitted to a UC campus, we will always request the official transcripts from the school the courses were completed at; therefore we will request the college transcripts even if the courses are on your high school transcripts.</p>

<p>I have 8 A-G semester courses (calc, history, etc.) from local JC. Without them I already have 42 semester courses. I don't want JC classes on my high school transcript, since my school doesn't give raised GPA for those classes and it messes my ranking. I'm applying not only to UCs but private schools too, so ranking is very important to me.
On the other hand, if I only list those courses on UC application and later send my JC transcript, will I get extra points for admission purposes for those classes? Or I absolutely have to have them on my high school transcript to get points? Does anyone know?</p>

<p>You just need to list the courses as College Level courses on the application and list the college as a school you attended. Regardless if the courses are on your high school transcripts we will require the transcripts form the college also. The courses need to be UC transferable courses worth at least 3 semester (4 quarter) units for the UC system to accept them. If they are not transferable or meet the unit requirement and you need the course to meet UC requirements, then the course must be approved by your high school and listed on the high school transcript; especially if this course is an online course.</p>

<p>How do we know if the community college that we are taking courses at are transferrable to UCs? I live out-of-state in WA State- do they accept them out of state or only local community colleges?</p>

<p>For out of state colleges try your best to determine if the course is an “a-g” course. If so, list it. If we believe it is not transferable or does not meet an “a-g” course we will remove it when evaluating your application.</p>