Online classes?

<p>I am trying to assist an immigrant neighbor. She's a young woman who would like to get started on nurse's or nurse's aide training by taking online classes.</p>

<p>She has the equivalent of a high school degree, and her English is pretty good.</p>

<p>Would anyone on this forum have suggestions about how I should advise her?</p>

<p>She should start by asking to talk to an advisor at a local public community college, and then checking on online courses from another public college in her state. </p>

<p>While there are some legitimate quality for-profits, there are many for-profits and online classes that are rip-offs. Many are not accredited (except by fake boards), which makes it very hard to use the credits towards a real degree. In most cases, the community college is cheapest option, and they have agreements to allow their credits to be transferred to most other colleges in the state.</p>

<p>It may make sense to start as a Certified Nursing Assistant, get a job, and then take classes part-time for a LPN degree. Some employers will provide assistance with educational costs.</p>

<p>I am going to guess that you are in NJ. Have you looked into Thomas Edison State College in NJ? This school is designed for adult learners (as opposed to the newly graduated high school student) and they encourage distance learning, online classes and alternate routes like CLEP exams for credit. </p>

<p>nursing info: [Thomas</a> Edison State College: W. Cary Edwards School of Nursing at Thomas Edison State College](<a href=“http://www.tesc.edu/nursing/]Thomas”>W. Cary Edwards School of Nursing at Thomas Edison State University | W. Cary Edwards School of Nursing and Health Professions)</p>

<p>Community college may be less expensive but it may not a quick route at all. They tend to have long waiting lists for entrance into the nursing program. That said, she should inquire. </p>

<p>Also, she should know that it is not possible to get nursing training completely by online classes. Other majors - yes, but not nursing. Clinical rotation is always required for an RN degree.</p>