Online math assessment prior to BB

<p>My DS was enrolled in 121 and 131 and was struggling in one. Rather than risk a B (heavens!), he dropped both and said he won’t need to take 121 I think because they aren’t offering it anymore. My concern is what course path does he have to take to fulfill all graduation requirements. Can he switch from the 2012 requirements to the 2013 requirements?</p>

<p>Engr 121 is unique to each branch of eng’g, so that is probably not going away. E.g., aeros take AEM121,
mechanicals take ME121,etc. With 131 being incorporated into 103, he needs to talk with eng’g advisor about going forward.</p>

<p>Longhaul, thanks for the update on the engineering class consolidations. Wish this was done last year as my S had a hard time with his schedule fitting in all the required 1 credit classes with others he needed because of time conflicts. Consequently he only took 13 credits his 1st semester (at least 2 credits short of what I would have liked.) This way a specific time is now blocked and incoming freshman should have an easier time scheduling.</p>

<p>Math 121 is still listed in the catalog and is listed on degree works as an option for his Business requirement. He is also able to take Math 125 for this requirement. Degree credit is not offered for both. Sounds like 121 might be easier since it’s specifically for business? </p>

<p>[University</a> of Alabama Undergraduate Catalog 2006-08](<a href=“Page Not Found | The University of Alabama”>Page Not Found | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>If someone has a S/D in business – please help! thanks!</p>

<p>My D is a junior business major. She took 112 when she was in A&S and then had to take 121 when she switched to business. She said she wouldn’t have needed 112 first. Math 121 is part of the Math Lab and she had to take all quizzes, tests, etc. in the Math lab. There were 2 lectures a week. She has no plans to take any higher math.</p>

<p>So what math classes are required for business (finance) majors? If you come in with AP calc credits do you still have to take math? </p>

<p>I have been trying to find the general core requirements for the business school. Are they the same as the core requirements for all students – which I have found? </p>

<p>Thanks for your help.</p>

<p>@ burry
This link should help as it shows an example 4 year schedule for an undergradute Finance major. AP Cal AB will give your D credit for MATH 125 so I don’t think she would need any additional math beyond that for the Business school requirements or for the BS in Finance however if interested in the MSF it may require Cal 2 and possibly Cal 3…not sure?</p>

<p>The B school has great checklist’s by major but I don’t think they are online :frowning: my suggestion would be to call and have them email you one of the checklists. I would also suggest sending Sea_Tide a PM he will know the answer to this question for sure :)</p>

<p><a href=“Page Not Found | The University of Alabama”>Page Not Found | The University of Alabama; (see page 2)</p>

<p>@ katorres
Here is the link to the most recent academic catalog :)</p>

<p>[The</a> University of Alabama Fall 2012?Summer 2013 Undergraduate Catalog < The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://courseleaf.ua.edu/]The”>http://courseleaf.ua.edu/)</p>

<p>This link has a list of general requirements for all Business majors
<a href=“http://courseleaf.ua.edu/commercebusinessadministration/#departmentandprogramrequirementstext[/url]”>http://courseleaf.ua.edu/commercebusinessadministration/#departmentandprogramrequirementstext&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>For any business major considering which Math to take this link shows requirements for different majors and specializations</p>

<p>[Culverhouse</a> College of Commerce and Business Administration < The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://courseleaf.ua.edu/commercebusinessadministration/#specializationstext]Culverhouse”>http://courseleaf.ua.edu/commercebusinessadministration/#specializationstext)</p>

<p>OK one last post for math for business majors…</p>

<p>Policy on Mathematics Courses
The analysis of many business problems calls for mathematical reasoning. Students should take the highest-level mathematics sequence for which they are eligible. The MATH 112 Precalculus Algebra and MATH 121 Calculus & Applications sequence provides the minimum skills for pursuing an undergraduate business degree, but this is not a substitute for MATH 125 Calculus I. Any sequence that includes MATH 125 Calculus I is preferable to the MATH 112 Precalculus Algebra and MATH 121 Calculus & Applications sequence. </p>

<p>Those students who are interested in graduate study or in working in technical positions should choose a course of study that will lead to at least partial completion of the standard calculus sequence: MATH 125 Calculus I, MATH 126 Calculus II and MATH 227 Calculus III.</p>

<p>Below are specific rules that govern mathematics requirements for Commerce and Business Administration students:</p>

<p>0.Once a student has earned credit for MATH 112 Precalculus Algebra and/or MATH 121 Calculus & Applications or MATH 125 Calculus I, the student may not earn credit, including CLEP, for lower-numbered mathematics courses.</p>

<p>0.The College will not grant degree credit for any mathematics course numbered lower than MATH 100 Intermediate Algebra at The University of Alabama.</p>

<p>0.The College will not grant degree credit for any mathematics course offered for transfer credit from a junior college which is titled, or has the substance of, “business mathematics” or “mathematics for finance.”</p>

<p>My future Accounting major son has placed according to Degreeworks into Math 115 without taking the placement exam yet. Should he then spring semester take Math 121 or Math 125? Seems 121 is better geared for Business Majors.</p>

<p>Thanks for the links to the requirements and other info.</p>

<p>Longhaul</p>

<p>Do you know if ENGR 103 is intended as a incoming freshman first semester course? It’s in the course listings on Degreeworks, but shows ENGR 113 and 115 as prereqs. I can’t seem to find anything about either of those courses</p>

<p>Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’m trying to start mapping out a schedule for next fall while I’m on spring break</p>