OOS help with jobs

<p>Bama is my first choice and I am OOS. I’ve been accepted and I plan on taking out loans while I am there. What jobs can I get that are on campus that will help me pay some tuition money back every month along with having some left over for me personally </p>

<p>Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>*What jobs can I get that are on campus that will help me pay some tuition money back every month along with having some left over for me personally *</p>

<p>There are two types of campus jobs…work-study and non-work-study. </p>

<p>if you apply for financial aid early (don’t delay!) and you have financial need, then you might get awarded work-study. With that, you find an on-campus W-S job.</p>

<p>If you don’t get work-study, then there are some non-W-S jobs…like tutoring, life-guarding, etc. </p>

<p>There are also jobs right off campus on The Strip.</p>

<p>How much did you need to earn?</p>

<p>My parents made 150k plus but they’ve made it clear that I am going to have to takeout loans. So I am in a hard place right now. They said try would pay for meal plans and such though</p>

<p>*They said try would pay for meal plans and such though *</p>

<p>Can you clarify? </p>

<p>What are your parents paying for?</p>

<p>And what do they want you to pay for?</p>

<p>Your parents need to know that YOU can only borrow the following amounts</p>

<p>frosh 5500
soph 6500
jr 7500
sr 7500</p>

<p>are they aware of that?</p>

<p>Are you retesting for scholarships?</p>

<p>How much can you earn over the summer?</p>

<p>You won’t qualify for work-study jobs, so you’ll need to look for other jobs…including some off-campus jobs.</p>

<p>They said they will pay for meal plans and prob dorm. And I need a 2 more points on the ACT to be eligible for a scholarship. I really want to go to UA so thanks for all the help</p>

<p>You need to study and take both the ACT and SAT.</p>

<p>What is your current ACT? I thought it was a 25 or 26. </p>

<p>I think OOS tuition/fees is now about $22k per year. I’m concerned about how you’ll pay for that even if you get a small scholarship. </p>

<p>*# Out-of-State Scholarship Offers</p>

<h1>Students who have a 27 ACT or 1210-1240 SAT (critical reading and mathematics scores only) and at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA will receive $1,500 per year or $6,000 over four years.</h1>

<h1>Students who have a 28-29 ACT or 1250-1320 SAT (critical reading and mathematics scores only) and at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA will receive $3,500 per year or $14,000 over four years.*</h1>

<p>You need to have a talk with your parents. They may not know that you can’t borrow very much (and frankly, there’s a reason for those limits…to borrow more than that is toooo hard for a newish grad.) </p>

<p>Your parents may think you can just borrow all of your tuition…without “doing the math” and realizing how much that is. </p>

<p>If you were to go to college in your own state, how much would they pay for that? If you don’t know ask them.</p>

<p>Isn’t it possible to get a federal loan though?</p>

<p>*Your parents need to know that YOU can only borrow the following amounts</p>

<p>frosh 5500
soph 6500
jr 7500
sr 7500*</p>

<p>^^^^^
Those ARE the federal loan amounts. Those are the Federal Student Loan amounts.</p>

<p>To borrow more than those amounts require your parents to borrow the money…or they have to co-sign amounts. </p>

<p>To be honest, it’s not a good idea for students to borrow more than those federal loan amounts…too hard to pay back…</p>

<p>Again, you need to talk to your parents. They either need to pay more or co-sign loans…but again, co-signing additional loans (in excess of federal loans) is just too much for undergrads.</p>

<p>Look at it this way…if your parents only pay for room and board, then you’d have to borrow over $20k per year. No school (not even an ivy) is worth $80k in loans…you’d never be able to pay that much back. It would ruin your life. </p>

<p>Not only that, but it’s doubtful that your parents would agree to co-sign those loans because they would likely end up getting their credit hurt.</p>

<p>I agree with M2CK about the amount of debt you should accrue.</p>

<p>People in your parents situation are caught between a rock and a hard place. They make too much money to qualify for any discounted rates, or special loans or grants. But if they have not been saving, or if they have not made that much until recently, or for that matter if they are still paying their own student loans off, it is next to impossible for them to come up with that money. </p>

<p>It is unfortunate that college costs have become so exorbitant in recent years. And it really feels unfair that because your parents can’t or won’t help more, you are limited in your choices. However, M2kc gives prudent advice. DON’T go into steep debt for undergrad! And kids shouldnt expect their parent to either. It does not offer a good return on investment. </p>

<p>Work on getting those scores up, apply for every scholarship in your area that you see. Small local scholarships ad up and most can be used at any school. If you just can’t make it work go to your local community college for a couple of years then transfer to your “dream” school.</p>

<p>Just to be clear on what Mom2ck is saying. You personally can only borrow $5500 this year in Federal student loans (Stafford loan). However your parents can borrow up to your total cost of attendance via a PLUS loan. </p>

<p>The PLUS loan isn’t based on ability to pay it back (though it should be). Your parent(s) simply need decent credit.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>True…but since the OP said that his parents expect HIM to take out loans, that strongly suggested that they don’t intend to take on debt. it looks like they’re willing to pay for room and board…so about $6k-8k per year…which is about the same as commuting to a local state school. </p>

<p>But…if the parents are willing to take on these Plus loans and THEY are willing/able to pay them back, then that would be an option. However, it doesn’t look like they’re willing to do that.</p>

<p>I hope that the OP retakes the ACT and SAT, has a tremendous improvement and gets a great scholarship. :)</p>