Scholarship Question

<p>The OOS scholarships listed on the UA website all require a 3.5 GPA. In the FAQ section on the scholarship page it says:</p>

<p>What is the typical test score and GPA an entering freshman would need to have in order to be considered for scholarships?</p>

<p>Generally for scholarship consideration, an entering freshman with an ACT of 24 or SAT of 1090 (critical reading and math) and a cumulative 3.0 GPA will be reviewed.</p>

<p>Any thoughts on the disconnect?</p>

<p>the automatic scholarships are 3.5. 3.0 students will be reviewed for some of the non-guaranteed scholarships.</p>

<p>Are they not posted on the UA website? How do you learn what they are?<br>
Thanks for the help.</p>

<p>not that i know of. departmental scholarships. seems they get awarded to students who are not getting one of the larger automatic scholarships.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>Right, the assured scholarships require those stats.</p>

<p>The other scholarships are sometimes awarded by some departments for various majors. Some depts list some on their websites. </p>

<p>What are your child’s stats? What is his/her major?</p>

<p>He is going into his junior year with a 3.33. He goes to a top private school, and it is very tough academically, and he does take a tough schedule there. So far he has 80 service hours,is a class officer, plays 2 sports, manages the basketball team, and is a member of concert choir. He hasn’t taken the psat as a junior yet, but his sophomore score indicated he could qualify for one of the scholarships listed…he just has to get the gpa up to the 3.5!</p>

<p>Remember that Bama will take the weighted GPA. So see if your school has a weighted GPA on the transcript.</p>

<p>Yes about the weighted!</p>

<p>Also, AP classes taken Junior year can really boost a GPA because of the weighting.</p>

<p>What was your son’s soph PSAT score?</p>

<p>I thought I read somewhere, I think on their website that the 3.5 is at the end of Jr Year for the scholarship qualification, what if it drops below 3.5 by the end of Sr year(If he knows whats good for him it won’t), will he still be eligible for the scholarship?</p>

<p>I think you’re awarded a scholarship based on GPA for grades 9-11, then you keep it even if cum drops below during senior year. But, I’ve never heard of that happening, so I’m not sure. </p>

<p>Best to just keep grades up.</p>

<p>Was told during our visit that your senior grades could only “help” – not hurt your scholarship application – as long as they have your transcript prior to senior grades. They told us best to submit 9-11 transcript and then if it is raised, resubmit 9-12 transcript.</p>

<p>I wasn’t listening to that part close though – so could have misunderstood something.</p>

<p>I’m not sure how that would work, because of the Dec? timeline for scholarships – unless they would waive the deadline or wait until following year.</p>

<p>*
I’m not sure how that would work, because of the Dec? timeline for scholarships – unless they would waive the deadline or wait until following year.*</p>

<p>If a person submits the scholarship app by Dec 1st…and then later sends in an updated transcript or test scores, AND THERE IS EXTRA MONEY available, then sometimes Bama will still award some kind of scholarship in the spring. Maybe not one of the assured ones, but something. nothing guaranteed.</p>

<p>M2CK is correct. S was initially awarded the UA Scholar scholarship based on the December 1st deadline. Thankfully he followed my suggestion and took the December 10 ACT exam scoring much higher (had struggled with the Science section). In February, he received a letter from Dr. Witt amending his offer to the Presidential scholarship!</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>yes, that sometimes happens…no guarantees of course that a late scholarship will be awarded, but certainly worth trying if necessary! :slight_smile: Congrats!</p>

<p>My friend’s son had an ACT 33, but a GPA that was a 3.6 (this was old days when GPA had to be 3.75 for scholarships). He finally got his award in the spring of his senior year…when Bama determined that they could afford to award the Presidential to him. </p>

<p>Certainly, when Bama “does the math” they realize that they’d rather be able to get that high stats kid enrolled, then let him choose elsewhere over a small issue.</p>

<p>kmw…when your son got that award, had he yet committed to Bama? I wonder if having already committed (or not having committed) hurts or helps your chances???</p>

<p>Hmmmmm…</p>

<p>Very interesting question M2CK. No, he had not committed to Bama. He was waiting on all offers from Common App schools and quite frankly he had slightly better scholarship offers than the UA Scholar Scholarship.<br>
So if this is UA’s strategy to pull in non-committed applicants who have upped their ACT scores after the 12/1 deadline, it worked for DS!</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>I’m curious about this. </p>

<p>My son’s friend hadn’t committed yet to Bama either when he got his scholarship in the spring.</p>

<p>The problem now with waiting too long is risking not getting best housing choices. However, if you were notified in February (because of Dec late testing), that is likely still soon enough to get honors housing if you commit soon after. (I think, I hope).</p>

<p>*So if this is UA’s strategy to pull in non-committed applicants who have upped their ACT scores after the 12/1 deadline, it worked for DS! *</p>

<p>Yes…and since the real deadline for ACT testing is in October! But, that is for “assured”. In the end, Bama gets to use the later higher stats from enrolled frosh, so why not give them the money **if the money is available. **</p>

<p>What was your S’s Dec ACT?</p>