OOS Students - Easier / Harder to get into VT?

I was looking for your thoughts… is it easier / harder / makes no difference to get into VT if you are from OOS? I’ve read past posts and they conflict - some say harder, some say easier. I know the poor folks in NoVA have it harder… My DS is from Massachusetts which is under represented at VT as far as I can see. He doesn’t have much else in his favor, being a Caucasian male (dang should have married an Eskimo).

I also read that VT received a record ## of applications this year - up by 7.6% last year. Does anyone have thoughts about why that would be?

Finally, would you say that VT purely data driven (SAT/GPA) or do they look at the applicant holistically? Do you have examples? I think that DS would be a great fit for VT but his application would need to be reviewed carefully for that to even begin to show.

Thanks for your input!

Why do you say “the poor folks in NoVA have it harder”?

There seems to be some common belief in a bias against NoVa students, but from the hard numbers I’ve researched it isn’t supported. Instead, it seems that there are simply many more students applying from NoVa, and that the likelihood of getting an admission offer is correlated to class rank. In other words, if you are in the top 10% or 25% of your HS class, you have the same basic chance of admission regardless of whether you are from NoVa or NN, HR, Richmond, rural, wherever. But if, for example, you are only in the top 50% of your class, you’re more likely to apply anyway if you’re from NoVa, and more likely to not bother if you’re from elsewhere.

To answer your original question, I believe that any public school that draws a significant number of applications from outside of their own state probably has slightly lower standards to admit IS applicants, and slightly higher standards to admit OOS applicants. But I don’t believe the Virginia schools break out the test scores and GPAs according to IS or OOS applications, so I don’t know how to verify this.

Like any public school, VT is significantly more expensive for OOS students and has a corresponding lower yield of matriculating students from OOS admission offers. That factors in to their admission decisions, of course.

VT does not use the Common Application and therefore is not committed to use holistic evaluation. I don’t want to say they are purely numbers-driven, but they seem to be at least strongly numbers-driven. Predictably, the competition seems to be most intense for engineering.

If your S is OOS, does not have strong numbers, and is interested in studying engineering, I would not predict his chances of getting admitted are very strong. If his grades and test scores are strong, or if he is not planning to be an engineer, then his chances are somewhat better.

So difficult to answer this question. Many OOS applicants believe they are held to a higher standard because the university looks to have a majority of IS students. However, for certain colleges the percentages of OOS students is remarkably high for a public university. Engineering is about 50% in-state. VT tends to be more data driven but while SAT scores are directly comparable between applicants, GPAs vary tremendously even within the state. Even when everyone uses the same grading scale and has the same policy regarding honors/AP classes the grading toughness varies.

At least part of the reason for the uptick in applications is likely the localized “baby boom” that occurred in the NOVA/DC/MD area in 1996 … combination of snowstorms and federal government shutdown.

How many babies were born in 1997, and how many would have been normally expected? Was it even a full percent more than usual?

I asked this question at an info session last June and was told there is no difference of the criteria for in-state vs OO? While there is a cap on OOS students, they are no where near it.

I think that may be different for UVA and William & Mary, which are very competitive for OOS.

All, thank you for your replies. Much appreciated. Frankly given the wonderful reputation of Virginia tech I am surprised more students from MA don’t go there (only 57 last year). I guess the true test comes this Friday!

Re: the localized baby boom – I guess you can actually scratch that; I looked up the #'s for MD and VA and they both actually show a big drop off in births after 1992-ish; there is a slight uptick in VA in the 1996/1997 timeframe, but not much, and in MD, the #'s just keep going down until ~2000. So, case in point for how local experience <> overall facts. Our experience in MD has been that this class was bigger going through the school system than the ones before or after it. Every year, they typically added a classroom of kids for whatever grade this cohort was going into (e.g., 5th grade went from 5 classrooms to 6, etc.), and then the # of classes required would shrink the following year. So, apparently everyone who had kids in this timeframe moved into our county…