OOS Travelers: Southwest Airline 40% off Sale

<p>Excellent fares to BHM:</p>

<p>Purchase must be made prior to 11:59 pm PT on Oct. 11, 2012, for travel between Nov. 28 through Dec. 12, 2012, and Jan. 7 through Feb. 14, 2013.</p>

<p>Promo Code: BIGDEAL40</p>

<p>Note also that other airlines are matching the fares without needing a promo code or flying roundtrip. The fares would be valid for winter break (at least the return) if you fly within the specified time frame.</p>

<p>which airlines are matching? i always look for matching fares, as the airport that southwest uses is not as convenient for us. i always end up having to pull the trigger on the southwest fare before i find a matching one on another airline.</p>

<p>same date restrictions?</p>

<p>Airlines are matching on a market by market basis, usually with the same restrictions as Southwest. Several of these fares come and go throughout the day. American (perfectly fine to fly despite the bankruptcy) is matching a lot of fares, as is United, US Airways, Alaska, and Frontier. Delta is currently staying out of the picture, which makes travel to Birmingham slightly more difficult. From IAH, United is matching at $215 roundtrip ($105 to Jackson, MS), which is better than normal. Phoenix and Las Vegas are $165 roundtrip from Birmingham.</p>

<p>Frontier filed a $44 roundtrip airfare between Phoenix and Denver. If I lived in either of those cities, I’d book a couple of those just for fun. :)</p>

<p>Now to figure out where I want to visit for a day on my way back to UA with the caveat that UA might be playing in the National Championship that day.</p>

<p>If you check your luggage Southwest is by far the lowest fair. American and United may match the airfare but they’ll get that money back for checked baggage.</p>

<p>A lot of airline credit cards give one a free checked bag. Also, some of us fly enough for elite status, so checked bags (and first class upgrades) are free.</p>

<p>If flying on Southwest during the winter, be aware that they will not rebook you onto another carrier in the event that the delay is their fault (all airlines will generally not rebook you on another airline when the delay is not their fault such as weather or air traffic control). Additionally, Southwest does not always have the lowest fare even when baggage fees are considered. I always suggest looking at a variety of airlines before purchasing ones ticket.</p>

<p>Tempted to book return for spring semester. Would only do SW though due to their lenient change policies. Just in case, you know, S will be coming from someplace else other than home :wink: I figure prices won’t get better. Contemplating ATL v DFW for connection. Leaning towards DFW as I think less chance of ice issues in Jan.</p>

<p>Depending on where one is located, prices may not be that much cheaper than normal. </p>

<p>ldinct, the connection choices are likely ATL vs. DAL (Love Field). While I’ve had delays due to snow in DFW in March, DAL might be the better choice. Granted, DTW and MSP are actually very good airports to connect in during the winter despite the snow.</p>

<p>If used effectively, ITA Matrix airfare search is an excellent tool to research lowest airfares. It includes almost all airlines with the exception of Southwest. To book fares one must use an OTA or book directly with the airline.</p>

<p>Also consider that AA has a 10% off coupon in the Entertainment Book.</p>

<p>^^^ Love ITA Matrix. I am the travel manager for a large college and I use it daily. VERY reliable. Word of advice, do not use online travel agency’s for flights. Book directly w/ the airlines.</p>

<p>That way you hold the contract of carriage w/ the airline. When you book w/ an OTA, THEY hold the contract of carriage and if there is a problem, flight delay, bumping situation, any type of customer service issue, the airlines can tell you to deal directly w/ the OTA, and won’t work w/ you. I have at least one person a month come to my office when they have used OTA’s and can’t get customer service.</p>

<p>what’s an OTA? online travel agent?</p>

<p>book with the airline - do you mean call to book (do they even do that anymore) or book thru their website?</p>

<p>OTA=Online Travel Agent</p>

<p>I use ITA Matrix and its mobile app several times daily to check flights. The app is very helpful in case of delays. The desktop website is even better as it allows one to manipulate the displayed results.</p>

<p>By booking with the airline, we mean going on the airline’s website to book. While there are ways to get an airline to “take control” of the ticket from travel agencies before the date of departure, it is not an easy process. The travel agent will want to handle changes even up to the date of departure, which is annoying as it’s easier for me to call the airline directly and get changes made. The only time to book with a travel agent is when the price is significantly cheaper such as with consolidator airfares for international flights (note that some consolidator airfares don’t earn full miles) or you are required to because of corporate contracts.</p>

<p>I cannot stress enough the importance of knowing alternate flights so that when delays happen, you can call the airline and easily be rebooked onto the next flight.</p>

<p>This is such a good deal!!! We just had to buy a one-way ticket to get daughter back to Birmingham last Sunday at the end of the October study break. That ticket was $400. Just bought round-trip ticket for Christmas break for $232.</p>

<p>SEA_tide – where did you see Las Vegas at $155 round trip? Thanks for the info… much appreciated!</p>

<p>The Las Vegas fare has since been pulled, was on American Airlines, and wasn’t available during UA’s breaks. BHM-LAS or PHX has been going for $240 roundtrip for the past few months, with the occasional drop to $155 every month or so for about 4 hours. The generally low fares are in response to Southwest’s daily nonstop service to/from Birmingham.</p>

<p>For those wondering why I know about fares from Birmingham to Las Vegas and Phoenix, I often use those fares combined with a fare to Seattle to save money and earn more miles. For the last 3 years, I’ve had to fly to Phoenix in August to catch a redeye flight to move into my dorm in the morning as the flights from Seattle were sold out due to the Alaska cruise season and other tourism. Plus, both cities are nice warm weather destinations with good public transportation, making short visits very easy.</p>