<p>Hi All,
Just got deferred until RD,
White Male from Northern Virginia
Non-ranking private high school
GPA 3.86 W
Engineering
ACT Comp 32, English 34, Math 29
No SAT yet, taking in January</p>

<p>My GC talked with the Admissions Office and they said they will consider me for Engineering during RD, contradictory to what the application stated that the only consider you for your second choice if you get deferred. </p>

<p>My question is, should I stick with Engineering and hope for the best, or try and change my first choice to University Studies and have a higher chance of getting in? Will they consider me for both Engineering and US during Regular Decision?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>First I would advise you to call the Admissions office personally with a list of questions.
But from my experience with people I know (not many to be statistically significant :slight_smile: )
if you are not admitted to Eng you may still be admitted for University Studies. If that happens then you can pursue a transfer to Eng. </p>

<p>Again-I would call them yourself-my son did several times and the staff was very helpful.
Good Luck!</p>

<p>I know someone who two years ago was deferred at ED, then got in at RD for University Studies and not Engineering. However, soon thereafter a spot opened up in Engineering and he was able to start his freshman year in the engineering school. He is a sophomore now and still in engineering. Don’t give up. It can still happen for you!</p>

<p>Someone please answer him because I am in the same postition. I got deferred with a 3.6 w.gpa and a 1130 sat score. I need to find ways to impress them more. Since the class of 2013 has a lot of students, its going to be harder to get in.</p>

<p>Based upon previous applicant’s experience it seems that if you are denied for Engineering the university still considers you for University Studies. </p>

<p>Novavthopeful - I don’t think you need to change anything in your application. Per your GC you will be considered for Engineering and by default University Studies (if prior experience from other posters is indicative). If VT goes to the second choice then you will be considered first for University Studies. If accepted you can switch over to Engineering later. I think VT will give you a fresh look in RD once they receive your Jan SAT scores. </p>

<p>sunnyboi21 - you can’t impress them more at this point unless you take the SAT in Jan and suddenly score much better. If you accept that you are a long-shot for initial acceptance into Engineering then you need to look at your alternatives. I don’t think changing to University Studies will help getting into VT but you might as well try. Look into other Virginia colleges (including community colleges) where you can take the basic prerequisites for your desired engineering major. Make sure that the credits will transfer to Tech. After you prove yourself at the other college apply to VT as a transfer student. Keep in mind that it doesn’t matter what route you take if you still graduate from VT Engineering. Best of luck.</p>

<p>Similar situation here with DS - he was deferred from Engineering. I am confident he is a strong candidate for University Studies in RD and he is in that 25% stats for Engineering (again during the RD). I did not think he’d get ED for Engineering, but thought they’d look at his second choice (although now that I reflect on it, it makes sense that they don’t do that until RD).<br>
I almost wish DS had applied University Studies as his first choice or COS since he is not 100% about engineering. This way he may have gotten in ED and we’d be done! Right now he is having to prepare applications for three other schools as his back-ups. Deadline is 1/15 so he’ll be doing some of this over winter break (just a pain in the neck and more fees!!!). He’s not interested in other schools which makes it an even harder process to get him motivated for. And…as Murphy’s Law will have it, he’ll get in Tech RD anyway!!</p>

<p>We are looking strictly VA Public Universities due to his 529 prepaid tution plan (GREAT value since we locked in rates when he was 4/5 years old!).</p>

<p>Stats: GPA 3.9 - Chesterfield County
SAT Math 630, CR 630 Writing 560
Top 10% of large 500+ school
Honors and AP courses - heavy in Math (all A’s)</p>

<pre><code> Current schedule is challenging and should be all A’s for the semester with the exception of AP Government which may be a C+ (80-83) - she’s a notorious tough teacher and the class is heavy on critical thinking, analysis, writing, etc. Different from the usual Social Studies classes that focus on facts and memorization.
</code></pre>