College of Engineering Early Decision Deferred

<p>Hi I was recently deferred from the College of Engineering at Virginia Tech which I applied early decision to because it is my top school. I wanted to get an outside opinion on what I need to improve on in order to better my chances. Here is my current info:</p>

<p>GPA: 4.0 weighted (ranked 94 out of over 450 in my class)
SAT: Critical Reading - 730 Math - 600 Writing - 690
Extra-Curricular: I have been in many clubs and held officer positions as well as volunteered as a tutor.
Essays: I wrote all three personal statements and I think they are pretty strong.
Current Classes: I'm currently taking two AP classes - Calculus AB and AP Computer Science as well as Spanish 5.
Previous AP Classes: AP US History, AP World History

<p>Do you think I have a good chance in the regular decision pool? In what area am I weak and how can I improve? Is getting deferred good in that it means they think I am in the right ballpark or bad because they didn't already accept me? Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>You got deferred because Eng is more competitive than general admission.</p>

<p>Your SATs look fine, and you’re in state. Without knowing more, I’d guess the weakness is in your transcripts. Did you take all the hardest math and science courses available to you? Did you get at least as good grades in math/science as you got in your humanities courses? Was there any trend (upward, downward, or flat) in your grades from year to year?</p>

<p>I have no doubt you’ll be offered admission to the university in the RD cycle; the question is whether you’ll specifically get in to Eng. I think you have a real non-trivial chance for Eng; I don’t know whether you have a great chance.</p>

<p>Almost the only thing you can do now is get A’s for your midyear grades, especially in math and science. That is, unless you can get an actual STEM job between now and Jan. 15.</p>

<p>I think your math score is low for Eng. If you math will be around 700 you will be fine. </p>

<p>On first read I thought your Math SAT was 730 not 600. Yes, that Math score is too low for VT Engineering. My guess is they offer you University Studies regular admission.</p>

<p>Also, does your school offer AP Physics? For Engineering, they like to see that, but I realize it may be too late for that. Agree, Math SAT could be holding you back. Hang in there</p>

<p>Sorry, I also misread your scores. The above posters are right, you need to bring up the Math score.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the helpful replies! Unfortunately I haven’t practiced for the SAT in a long time and I doubt I would be able to improve upon my math score. I will follow your advice and work to improve my GPA and possibly take up a computer science internship (my school offers lots of engineering internships from local companies). If I get an offer for University Studies instead of the College of Engineering I will most likely attend and try to transfer over. Once again thank you for all your help!</p>