Out of all of the UC's you applied to

<p>… if you were to get into all of them, how would you rank your choices of which UC to actually attend? I hope that makes sense, haha.</p>

<p>I applied to UCB, UCD, UCI, UCLA, and UCSB.</p>

<p>If I got accepted into all of these schools (I WISH!), this is the order in which I’d like to attend:
1 – UCLA
2 – UCSB
3 – UCB
4 – UCD
5 – UCI</p>

<p>You guys probably think I’m crazy for putting UCSB before UCB but I’ve been to the campus so many times for EAOP programs that I’m just not impressed by the environment or it’s surroundings anymore. I know it’s a VERY good school and all, but college is not only about education and I just really need to go to a new place. That’s why I’d prefer going to a UC that’s far, far away from where I live (the Bay Area). I’ve been reading a lot of threads about UCSB on CC and I think that’s the best place for me to go, but UCLA will always remain my dream school. And I come from a high school and city that’s VERY diverse so going to UCI, a college that isn’t diverse, would just be weird for me. Oh, and UCD is in the middle of nowhere, heh.</p>

<p>Anyways, what about you guys?</p>

<p>I'm going to have to disagree with you about UCI. In fact, I think it is probably the most "diverse" UC, but that depends on your definition of "diversity."</p>

<p>As is well known, Asian students make up a large portion of the student body at UCI, about 51.4% in 2007. At the same time, Asians make up about 12.2% of California's population and 4.3% of the U.S. pop. </p>

<p>You might argue that any school with over half its student belonging to one ethnicity cannot really be called "diverse," but then UCSB is really anything but diverse- 53% of its students are white.</p>

<p><a href="http://bap.ucsb.edu/IR/07-08/cp2007.pdf%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://bap.ucsb.edu/IR/07-08/cp2007.pdf&lt;/a>
<a href="http://www.oir.uci.edu/campus/CDS2007_08.pdf%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.oir.uci.edu/campus/CDS2007_08.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>California</a> - Fact Sheet - American FactFinder</p>

<p>True, UCSB isn't any more diverse than UCI is but I also like the fact how it's in a beautiful setting and such. UCI just comes off as a little boring to me. =/ I don't know, that's just me.</p>

<ol>
<li>UCB</li>
<li>UCLA</li>
<li>UCSB</li>
<li>UCD</li>
<li>UCI</li>
</ol>

<p>I live in Irvine, so as far as I'm concerned, a majority white population <em>is</em> "diverse". >_<</p>

<p>I hope you guys actually have a safety, those universities are definitely not safeties and if you've read the results here last Spring, it's common for a student with a great GPA and SAT scores to be rejected by all or most of them.</p>

<p>BirdKillers right, some of you are going to see that the UC's ultimately decided which university you're going to go to, and it might not be one in your top 5 list.</p>

<p>Oh, I applied to other schools too, don't worry. This is just the order in where I'd like to go when it comes to only UC's. </p>

<p>And I'm an ELC student, so I'm already accepted to UCSB, UCD, and UCI. UCSB is one of my top 3 choices so yeah.</p>

<p>^ oh the confidence. Competition for the listed UC's are getting fiercer every year.</p>

<p>Irisaur - its a good thing that UCSB is your 2nd choice because you may very well end up going there.
Competition for schools like UCLA has become very intense, and now they take about 1/5 of the applicants, and MOST of the people in the applicant pool are qualified.
Btw, ELC is in no way a guartantee of acceptance into those schools although it doesnt hurt, and it has a minimal effect on your admissions to schools like UCB and UCLA.</p>

<p>Yes, I understand that UCB and UCLA are EXTREMELY tough schools to get into and I highly doubt that I'll get accepted into them. That is why UCSB IS my second choice.</p>

<p>AHH, I will be freaking out until I get those acceptance letters.</p>

<p>But until then, it doesn't hurt to dream right? Haha.</p>

<p>@tommybarsett: Actually, ELC IS a guaranteed acceptance. UCD, UCSB, and UCI's school policies specifically state that they will guarantee admission to all that are ELC. As for Berkeley and LA, it can always help. The acceptance rates for ELC is triple that of regular students for LA, and more than double for UCB.</p>

<p>My own rankings?
1. UCLA
2. UCB
3. UCSD
4. UCI
5. UCD</p>

<p>ELC students probably are more likely to be admitted not because they are ELC, but because they have the higher grades and SAT scores you might associate with being in the top 4% of your class.</p>

<p>i only applied to three UCs. this is probably what the order is... </p>

<ol>
<li>Davis</li>
<li>San Diego</li>
<li>Santa Cruz</li>
</ol>

<p>although they're all pretty close.</p>

<p>tommybarsett and sndebrosse, ELC actually IS a guarantee of admission to UCD, UCI, UCM, UCR and UCSB. Guaranteed. If an ELC student submits an application to one or more of them, completes their testing and A-G courses, they WILL be admitted.</p>

<p>From the UC website:
**Which UC campuses are guaranteeing fall 2009 admission to ELC students?*
UC Davis, UC Irvine, UC Merced, UC Riverside and UC Santa Barbara are guaranteeing fall 2009 admission to ELC students who satisfactorily complete the subject and examination requirements.</p>

<p>UC Berkeley, UCLA, UC San Diego and UC Santa Cruz are not guaranteeding fall 2009 admission to ELC applicants; however, these campuses do take students' ELC status into consideration during comprehensive review.* University</a> of California - Counselors</p>

<p>So Irasaur has every right to be confident about UCSB.</p>

<p>even if you're top 12 percent you can get guaranteed to ucr and ucm.</p>

<p>tocollege, I understand. I was responding to Mercurial's claim that ELC increases your chances at Berkeley and LA. I'm saying that ELC students are more often admitted to these schools not because of their ELC status, but because they tend to have higher grades and SAT scores.</p>

<p>toocollege, I could not find that statement on the UC website, where is that? </p>

<p>Its kind of a shame that someone who does mediocre at a terrible high school should be guaranteed admission to those schools while someone who does average at a good high school doesnt get that kind of guarantee.</p>

<p>tommy, click on this link: University</a> of California - Counselors and SCROLL down about 1/4 page (if you click on the question, it takes you too far down the page, but you can just scroll up a bit).</p>

<p>It is in the counselor section - theoretically California high school counselors are supposed to have this information and advise their ELC students to apply to the guaranteed campuses, but when I asked my counselor about it last year, she had NO idea. She gave me the statewide guarantee information: "guaranteed to a campus, not necessarily the campus of your choice..." and had no idea there were five specific campuses giving ELC guarantees. I had to find it myself.</p>

<p>And to address your concerns about the "mediocre" student having an advantage: There are many low-performing high schools in California where NONE of the students would be able to achieve statewide eligibility. As a freshman, a student would see there was no hope of being considered for admission to any UC - there would be no incentive for that student to do well. With the ELC guarantee, even students at the lowest-performing inner-city high school know that if they achieve higher than anyone expects (and they are often in circumstances that make what you call their "mediocre" performance nothing short of amazing) they will be accepted to a University of California. Having hope and opportunity is often a literal lifesaver.</p>

<p>As for the good high schools, yes, only 4% qualify for ELC, but at the top-performing high schools, often nearly all graduates qualify for statewide admission and are guaranteed admission to a UC (though not necessarily the campus of their choice...). They also tend to have the higher SAT/ACT scores (due to their better high school, access to prep materials and opportunity to take multiple tests) that give them better "shots" at the non-guaranteed campuses such as UCB, UCLA and UCSD.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<ol>
<li>UCB</li>
<li>UCLA
UCSD and UCI im not attending for sure... lol... i just applied for the heck of it XD</li>
</ol>

<p>applied for engineering.</p>

<p>1) UCD
2) UCSB
3) UCSC</p>