Out Of State Tuition Waver?

Can someone please explain to me how the Out Of State Tuition Waver works?
It says that if i get $1000 in scholarship money i will get an instate tuition instead of an out of state tuition.
But i dont understand what they mean when they say $1000 from the department.
Can someone please explain?
Thank you!

The tuition waiver is based on a qualified scholarship of at least $1000. You will be informed if a scholarship offered to you is eligible for the waiver. My youngest has one that is qualified and one that is not (you only need one). You can combine eligible scholarships to total $1000 ( my oldest did that), both have to meet the qualifications to be counted towards the $1000 total. They have to come from TAMU ( not an outside source) and have to be designated as eligible on your award letter. It does not have to come from a department (it can be from a college or the financial aid office). You do not apply for them, nor do anything special to be considered. All students are eligible that filled out the scholarship portion of the application and you will hear by spring if you do get a scholarship as an incoming freshman (later for continuing students) & on the last page of the award letter it will state whether or not it is eligible. Hope that helps. Good luck!