Paradise is burning

From @vpa2019’s post #38 above:

"Airbnb’s extenuating circumstances policy is currently in effect for parts of the state of Hawaii, including all of Maui. It allows guests and hosts to cancel penalty-free, and guests with eligible stays will receive full refunds.

VRBO has not yet responded to a request for information about bookings in affected areas."

4 Likes

Road Closure Notifications | Maui County, HI - Official Website says that the road to Lahaina / Kaanapali / Kapalua (Honoapiilani Highway) is closed to westbound traffic other than emergency personnel.

We were in the Big Island until this morning, when we were supposed to fly to Maui
and planning to stay in Lahaina.

We had to pivot yesterday and change all our plans but counting our blessings.

7 Likes

The officials are begging people to stay away from Maui while they are still trying to contain fires and assess damage and figure out next steps. They evacuated people to Oahu for shelter, medical care and more. Please don’t complicate recovery efforts by allowing loved ones to go to Maui until the officials announce they are prepared to receive visitors. Thank you for understanding and making alternate plans.

8 Likes

Another article

Heartbreaking article:

With all due respect, and I do feel for your daughter, to ask this in the face of devastation at a level hopefully none of us will ever experience, is puzzling to me. She may, unfortunately, lose savings that went to a rare treat. She still has time off, but may not be able to spend it at her dream location. But, meanwhile, scores of people have died horrendous deaths, untold more are injured, hundreds, maybe thousands, have lost their homes. The infrastructure is in ruins, and goods and services are going to be severely restricted. How could anyone NOT expect tourists to stay away, no matter how much they spent and would like to be there. It just seems like a very odd question to ask, at such a terrible time.

9 Likes

I assume at this point she will try to pivot her trip. hopefully another island will accommodate her and her friends, southwest will reroute her tickets, and the excursions she booked will be refunded. I agree that this is horrible for the people who live there and she should not be going. A few weeks ago this is not something any one of us could have imagined. It seems like the last few years , no place is safe. Between pandemics, fires, hurricanes, tornados, heat waves, I am sad today for our lives and our kids futures.

At the same time I can feel for her. I have offered to help them rebook everything if they want. I might have to throw in a few dollars as well.

3 Likes

Many parts of the island have NO ELECTRICITY NOR WATER. Many in hospitality industry have lost their homes. The mayor is giving radio updates 3x/day. They are still searching for over 1,000 unaccounted for people. Internet and communication services are not functioning and they are sending residents and visitors off island because they don’t have resources to handle everyone.

Why would anyone come in such a situation when officials are begging people to stay away?

5 Likes

I’m relieved. My friend and I pivoted and will be going to Kona instead of Maui in September. Heartbroken but relieved - Several places I looked at last night that were available were booked by this morning. That doesn’t surprise me, I’m certain many of us are changing plans.

Maybe my February Maui trip will still happen. Maybe.

2 Likes

My son’s inlaws, whose other daughter just experienced a horrific family tragedy, also have a timeshare condo on the beach in Kahana, just a few miles north of Lahaina. This is just too much to bear :frowning: :cry:

1 Like

VERY TRUE @HImom. It is an island and fresh water is hard to get. My sister said that the fire hydrants are controlled and powered by electricity and the electricity is down, so no water for the hot spots, and all water has to be prioritized to go to put out the fires, instead of going to the residents for now. Costco is trying to bring in more water bottles. They may be flying it in from Oahu.

We have officially cancelled the Maui plans and moved over to Hawai’i. I think we beat the rush since the lone SWA non-stop still had seats at reasonable prices.

We are going to wait to cancel the HA flights until we see if they become refundable.

2 Likes

Kudos to several airlines, including Hawaiian, for helping out:

I hope this tragedy ends soon.

7 Likes

Articles on the subject of increased seats on flights out of Maui are somewhat vague on the subject, but having more seats flying out means that the aircraft have to get to Maui first to offer the seats to people leaving Maui. But it seems like the aircraft may not be flying empty inbound, since fire fighters, relief workers, utility workers, and construction workers may need to be brought in and need some of the seats (and cargo space for equipment) on the inbound aircraft.

1 Like

. Memories from Maui - Kahana and Lahaina- exactly 2 years ago

4 Likes

From the staff of Trilogy excursions. If you’ve ever snorkeled with them, you know their integrity: Here’s the latest from them. They were using their boats to pick up people in the water. One staff member gave his truck to a family who couldn’t get out.

"We want to provide you with an update on the current status of our business, the devastating situation in Lahaina, and how you can help our dedicated employees who have been working tirelessly to navigate through these challenging times.

Firstly, we want to praise God that all 168 of our Trilogy Ohana have been accounted for.

Thanks to the heroic acts of our family members — our company President Capt. Gabe Lucy, Capt. Riley Coon, Capt. Denver Coon along with Capt. Travis, Capt. Bobby, and Capt. Nick O. — we were among the first responders with the Coast Guard on Tuesday night into early Wednesday morning.

Around 4:30 pm on Tuesday afternoon, Capt. Gabe gave his truck to a family who couldn’t get to their car and sent them to his home before he ran back to the enflamed docks. Miraculously, he managed to manuever Trilogy V without GPS (only with a compass and gut instinct) out of flame-engulfed harbor and safely into Manele bay on the island of Lana’i.

Capt. Travis didn’t think twice about jumping into the ocean to assist in rescuing people who were escaping into the ocean. Working alongside the Coast Guard, were able to assist and aid in saving 50 people, including children.

Trilogy III, Trilogy IV, and Trilogy VIII were moored outside the harbor and besides being covered with heavy soot, they are now safe at Manele, Lanai. We sadly lost TVI along with the entire Lahaina harbor. Lahaina town is gone as we know it. By some stroke of luck, our office remains intact, although we did suffer the loss of all our transport vehicles.

Current State:

• We have 168 employees that don’t know what their future holds. So many of our friends have lost everything. The death toll will keep rising. It just happened so fast.
  • We are not waiting. We are just doing. We have been around the clock using our boats and resources to get supplies to Lahaina and transferring local refugees.

Next Steps:

• Given the impact on Lahaina harbor, we will not be operating trips out of Lahaina for the foreseeable future.
  • We are committed to resuming trips out of Ma’alaea Harbor as soon as we can. It is important to us to be able to keep as many people employed as we can.

If you have reservations with us, we will cancel and refund all reservations as we know more. Please allow us time to perform the refunds. It is our desire and intent to resume operations as soon as possible. We know for certain that our Lahaina based tours will not be operating out of Lahaina for the foreseeable future. Our team is working diligently to adjust and adapt, and your support means the world to us. Please refrain from contacting us. If you need to reach us, please email info@sailtrilogy.com and we will eventually get back to you.

Trilogy VI was tragically lost in the Lahaina Fire on 8/8/23.

How you can help:

Trilogy Lahaina Fires Relief Fund:

• So many of our crew and staff have been directly impacted by the fires, with many losing their homes. Your generous donations to our Trilogy Lahaina Fires Relief Fund on GoFundMe or Trilogy Maui Fire Fundthrough the Global Empowerment Mission will go a long way in assisting these individuals as they work to rebuild their lives. Your compassion and contributions will be a source of hope during this difficult time.

Vacation Rentals for Homeless Families:

• If you’re a snowbird or fortunate enough to have a vacation rental, consider extending a helping hand to homeless families in need of shelter. Your offer to provide a safe and comfortable space at a reasonable rent can offer these families a much-needed respite during these challenging circumstances. Your generosity will not only provide shelter but also contribute to the sense of community support that Lahaina is known for. If you have housing to offer to displaced families, please fill out this form.

To each and every one of you, our cherished Trilogy ‘ohana, we extend our heartfelt gratitude. Your enduring loyalty over the past 50 years has been the bedrock upon which our company has thrived. Through triumphs and tribulations alike, your presence and support have been our driving force. Together, we are not merely a company, but a resilient ‘ohana bound by a shared commitment to our community and our team.

In our journey, we find solace in our history. It was in the aftermath of a life-changing tragedy that Trilogy was born, and it is through our collective strength that we rise once more from the ashes. The spirit of our ohana has been tested before, and it is this very spirit that will guide us towards a brighter future.

From the depths of our hearts, thank you for being a beacon of hope, a source of strength, and an embodiment of the true essence of aloha. We look forward to forging ahead, together, into a future filled with promise and possibility. Thank you for being a part of the Trilogy family. Together, we will look ahead and continue creating unforgettable memories on the beautiful waters of Maui.

With our deepest appreciation and warmest aloha,

The Trilogy ‘Ohana

"

2 Likes

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/11/business/jeff-bezos-lauren-sanchez-pledge-100-million-to-maui-wildfire-recovery/index.html

8 Likes

AP breaking news… :cry::cry::cry:

“Hawaii officials say the confirmed wildfire death toll on Maui has risen from to 67, up from 55 previously.

Maui County says in an online statement that firefighting efforts are continuing and the Lahaina fire is not yet contained.”

I hope he really comes through. I’ll believe it when I see it. He has always been tight-fisted.

I flashed on Sense and Sensibility and the John Dashwood “brother” who reneged on his father’s request to help his Dashwood daughters and their mother.

3 Likes