Parent Statement?

<p>Sorry if there is a thread on this already--tried search, found nothing.</p>

<p>So my parents aren't the best writers---nor will they have much else to say besides a ton of bragging because they think that's how you get into college (e.g. Mother looked at my essay and told me it was terrible because it doesn't mention my accomplishments enough. "No, mother. That's what the activity sheet is for. The essay is to convey a sense of voice." She replied that that was ridiculous.)</p>

<p>I've tentatively asked my mother to write it---she hasn't looked at it, naturally, and won't unless I really pressure her to.</p>

<p>Honestly, I think it would be a waste of the adcoms time to read such a letter, since they don't appreciate redundant info. Additionally, I'm not that close with my parents anyway. But if I don't send one, will it seem like I'm not "showing interest?" How much weight is it given anyway? Anyone really know?</p>

<p>Not required that they send one. If they don't want to and you don't want them to, let it go.</p>

<p>I don't know what to tell you. When I visited Geneseo, when speaking of the parent statement the adcom said "It is not required but I do wish you to consider that many of our applicants choose to submit one". That kind of gives you the idea that he strongly suggests it. Then again, shortly before that(alluding to embarrassing statements) he said that it would not hurt your admission decision. Definitely a tough call. I wish I could be a bigger help.</p>

<p>We submitted the parent statement regarding my son.
Our topic was based on his major of choice and how it is perfect for his interest and abilities. Likely embarrassing for him. Went through the years.</p>

<p>-For you, lsd87 is correct, it is optional
-Why not pick a topic and write an outline for Mom to make it easy for her
-Choose a sibling or Aunt/Uncle/Grandparent to write it instead.</p>

<p>I'd suggest that if you are going to send one in you do it soon as the admis. office must be going through applications at this time.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>The only downside to preparing the parent statement is that sometimes guidance counselors ask parents to write "brag letters," which serve as the basis for the guidance counselor's own letter sent in support of the student's applications to various colleges. One wonders if the parent statement for Geneseo ends up sounding oddly reminiscent of the guidance counselor letter in support of the application to Geneseo.</p>

<p>My parents wouldn't write one because they thought it was a ridiculous idea</p>