Parents and students concerned with financial aid, please read

<p>each semester (2 in year) with housing, food, books and stuff is like 30k~ (30x2=60k~)</p>

<p>19k~ is JUST the tutuion for half a year lol</p>

<p>I got $46K grants and scholarships and $3K work-study. Thatā€™s a little less than $50K combined and for the remainder, my parents want me to take a little more than half out in loans and theyā€™ll pay the rest through savings. So that would leave me with ~$20K in student loan debt after four years BUT considering the rising tuition cost of NYU year after year, how much would that increase? Is it worth it (communications degree + a double major in something like econ or psychology)? Our EFC is 0 and what I have now is manageable but Iā€™m a little apprehensive about the incremental rise of costs as time goes on. </p>

<p>Also, does tuition rise by year or by semester? Would make a huge difference.</p>

<p>My EFC is 4700, and I received $30,400 in scholarships and grants from NYU. That only covers half the cost of attendance, so I called them to appeal my award. They said that it is impossible to appeal my financial aid offer because they gave me the maximum amount possible. So, cricket123, you could probably get a little more money, but not much.</p>

<p>@erin94, thank you very much, Iā€™ll give them a call and see what they say :)</p>

<p>dreamer2012,</p>

<p>Tuition rises EVERY ACADEMIC YEAR, not every semester. Thank God! </p>

<p>For those fortunate enough to have the money available, paying upfront for the 4 years will enable you to keep the tuition, fees, room and board steady at todayā€™s rate. This is called the Fixed Payment Plan. However, you must not be receiving any form of FA, loans or scholarships. </p>

<p>Moreover, there is a Tuition Stabilization Plan that allows you to hold the tuition rate steady for up to 5 years of study at NYU. However, NYU tags on a fee of $2000 a year for the Tuition Stabilization Plan. Yikes, so no real savings until the last year or two. And you take the risk that the tuition fee might actually hold steady, go down (haha) or not increase as much as you paying into the plan each year ($2000). Generally speaking, you should start saving with this plan by year 3 or year 4 at NYU. I think the only time NYU tuition was held steady in recent years was during the 2008-2009? Deep Recession the country was in.</p>

<p>Here is the link to the Tuition Stabilization Plan:</p>

<p><a href=ā€œhttp://www.nyu.edu/bursar/pdf/tuitionstabilizeplan11.pdf[/url]ā€>http://www.nyu.edu/bursar/pdf/tuitionstabilizeplan11.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Here is the link to all the NYU Payment Plans:</p>

<p>[NYU</a> > Office of the Bursar > Payment Information > Payment Plans](<a href=ā€œBills, Payments, and Refundsā€>Bills, Payments, and Refunds)</p>

<p>Iā€™m an incoming LSP Paris student, and I got about $14K in scholarships and 3K in federal work study, which I think is good given our EFC (about 10K a year I think). Still, at this rate Iā€™m going to take on 100K+ loans after graduation so of course Iā€™d like to reduce my burden. I was wondering:

1. If the scholarships are renewable, is it possible to get more next year if I do well academically (high GPA and involvement in activities)? Or
    would they give me the same amount in scholarships each year even if Iā€™m
    a high-achieving student?
  2. Pertaining to #1, how much will being a academically accomplished student help me get more scholarships and grants- not just within NYU but with outside scholarships and federal aid? If not, how do I try to get more FA for next year?
  3. If I apply and receive outside scholarships, will NYU reduce my loan burden, or will they take away from my in-school scholarships? </p>

<p>I really want to reduce my loan burden and itā€™d be nice if I could do it through studying, lol :P</p>

<p>Your aid will remain the same if your financial situation remains stable. They will not reward you with more money for good grades.</p>

<p>If you are only receiving $17K a year through NYU, that means that your family needs to come up with over $40 to $45K per year. Not sure how you came up with the calculation of $100K in loans with an EFC of $10K.</p>

<p>uskā€¦,</p>

<p>I think fuzzā€¦ was referring to cumulative 100K loans after 4 years (ā€œ100K loans after graduationā€).</p>

<p>The best thing probably is to research outside scholarships. Perhaps start a thread on that. I am thinking that as long as your outside scholarships do not go over the cost of
tuition and fees at NYU, they should not take away from your NYU awarded scholarships and need based federal study money. But I defer to others who have more experience and success in obtaining outside scholarships.</p>

<p>usk is right about NYU not upping your aid money in future years even with strong grades. However, there may be smaller amounts of school specific or departmental awards and monies for outstanding students to do pursue studies or do research in their field.</p>

<p>You may want to check into that, though even that will be competitive, if they exist.</p>

<p>Thanks guys!! Iā€™ll definitely look into outside scholarships ā€¦Hopefully NYU will be worth the high cost:)</p>

<p>Iā€™m leaving for NYU-SCPS this August. Anyone come together?
Contact and make friends with me: )
bingopx@hot mail. com</p>

<p>Fuzzibunniboo,
14,000 is not a lot of aid given the fact that your EFC is 10,000. Work study is not guaranteed and you will still need to pay that 3,000 upfront for your costs. I dont mean to sound harsh, but taking on that much debt may be quite crushing when you graduate and want to get on with your life. Will your parents be contributing anything? NYU is not the place to do solo financially without parental help!
NYU will give you the same amount every year as long as you remain in good academic standing, however, they almost never increase aid no matter how much your situation may change.</p>

<p>evolving and fuzzi;</p>

<p>I understand you meant that you were talking about $100K in loans in 4 years. But the cost of an education at NYU is at $60K + per year. If parents contribute only their EFCā€“it totals $40Kā€”minus financial aid of $54Kā€“that leaves a gap of $144K over 4 yearsā€“and that is not taking into account any increases in tuition and room and board.</p>

<p>In my case, the EFC isnā€™t the only contribution my parents are going to make- Iā€™m going to be taking the loans out in my name because my parents want good credit rating for my brother when he applies for college, but theyā€™ll
help me pay my loans back once I graduate (so theyā€™ll
help me ā€œoff recordā€, if that makes sense.) Also, Iā€™m a Norwegian resident so Iā€™m eligible to apply for their federal loans and grants, which are WAY better than federal loans here, so Iā€™ll probably take those loans over the US ones. The Norwegian ones are more lax about paying it back, and If
you complete your education they only have you pay back 2/3rd of your loan. Of course, being a Norwegian resident probably didnā€™t help me much during the application process, since my parentsā€™ salaries are high by American standards- on paper, I didnā€™t demonstrate as much need as I actually needed (given how itā€™s way more expensive to live in Norway than the US, my parentsā€™ salaries arenā€™t really that high.) It also didnā€™t help that my grandma, whoā€™s my legal guardian in the US, has quite a lot of money and lives in an affluent neighborhood.
Still, Iā€™m prepared to take on the loans I end up with after college, since the other schools I got into didnā€™t give me much either and I made the initial decision to not go to Norwegian university, which is totally free. Luckily, if things donā€™t work out for me in the US, I can always work in Japan (Iā€™m half Japanese) or Norway as a Plan B.
Itā€™s probably going to be complicated from now on too since my situation is so different from other peopleā€™s, but I believe Iā€™ll be okay :slight_smile: If it really becomes too hard financially while Iā€™m here, Iā€™ll transfer to Norwegian uni, but thatā€™s really a last resort since the opportunities Iā€™ll have there is minuscule.</p>

<p>^ Basically, I have a lot of options for when things donā€™t go well, So Iā€™m willing to take the risk. Sorry my reply was so long haha :P</p>

<p>best of luck mate ^</p>

<p>I got a scholarship of $20k. For someone interested in pursuing a career in journalism, is a total cost of $41k worth it? Iā€™m extremely worried about my financial status and the debt Iā€™ll carry over in the future.</p>

<p>@nocchiz
Taking the stafford loans is ok, but the rest will be too muchā€¦ Are your parents contributing?</p>

<p>^
NYU is giving me loan offers and work study and my parents will be contributingā€¦ </p>

<p>Even though NYU is my dream school, I guess itā€™ll be better for my family if I disregard itā€¦? especially since this small liberal arts college gave me a half-tuition scholarship and will only cost $23k for me.</p>

<p>if your parents are paying for everythign and it wont break them to send you to NYU id take itā€¦ofcourse the lib arts school is a lot more bank-friendly and if you arent loaded on cash would be the better option</p>

<p>Hi guys. Iā€™d like to know your opinion on my prospective financial status if I were to go to NYU.
I was offered $23.5k in scholarships and $3k in work/study. Then they gave me $7.9k in federal loans for myself and a parent PLUS loan for the rest ($27.5k).
My EFC was $10k, so they are definitely expecting my parents to take out more than we had hoped for.
I already tried to appeal the offer but the Financial Aid Office didnā€™t accept it.
Should I still go to NYU, my dream school?
edit: I plan to go to law school after undergrad.</p>