Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 3)

There is definitely over enrollment. My D’s college sent an email earlier this week notifying that they have extended the deadline to take a gap year.

1 Like

Maybe it’s just not time yet, but I wonder if the “experts” (e.g. @Jeff_Selingo ?) will talk about the overenrollment at selective colleges generally, throughout much of the top 100, well beyond just t20s. My money’s still on test optional as the main factor disrupting yield prediction.

5 Likes

My guess is TO as well, and there were trickle down repercussions. Both GT and UGA took people off the waitlist - not many particularly given the size of the waitlist - but they did not fill up their class with initial admits so are not overenrolled. Clearly, however, from their comments they were expecting to take many more from the waitlist this year. GT is somewhat understandable with their large international component (a freshman parent just asked on the parent page this morning about how to register for a gap semester, and there have been several inquiries of that nature on that page) as to why their waitlist is still in play.

The “delayed actions by deposited students” by UGA has me stumped though. Hoping Selingo or someone similar will digest all this and explain it!

My son was on two waitlists, but is now only on one as UVA closed taking almost no one (less than 10 I heard speculated).

1 Like

It’s getting real y’all!! S21 for his dorm move in time slot…Sat 8/14!! Only 32 days left with him at home full time :weary::weary:

12 Likes

Moving in the same day :slight_smile: 4 miles away :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: but I count 44 days! It will be here before we know it!

1 Like

my math sucks lol…i had someone point that out on my facebook post as well :rofl::rofl::rofl:…I think the adrenaline rush of sign up is messing with me!! He’s going to be 5 hours away, might as well be 5 planets away, I’m going to miss him so much!!:cry:

4 Likes

There is definitely something up that has schools nervous about their yield. Graves at UGA has always been a stand up grounded person so he’s not posting stuff for clicks.

I do know a few kids that have recently decided to take a gap year, so maybe schools also don’t feel like the ones they have are fully committed. Things like signing up for orientation or checking their college email might be lagging. Just a thought.

fwiw, My D was offered a spot at GT off the WL a week after the regular decisions were released. Made us think they were using the WL to see if she was serious about GT. She declined the spot, and they got their answer. I think GT is methodically working through their WL to be full but not over enrolled.

Definitely think that was what was going on at GT earlier in the summer but they haven’t let anyone off for a month so my guess is they are full, right now. Just saw Graves mention that they are seeing some withdrawals and internationals with visa issues, and like you say he is upfront and not saying things just to say them. Love how they are so transparent! If UGA is seeing them with their smaller number of international admits, they are an issue other places as well.

Congrats on to your daughter on getting off the GT waitlist - it was a tough year!

At our school it seemed like UVA went overboard on the ED acceptances (more of a sure thing yield-wise), which limited who they could take from the other pools. Stronger applicants were denied from EA than were admitted ED in general, but I guess that is the perk of putting all of your eggs in one basket from the student perspective.

1 Like

@inthegarden I’m sorry you and your D are stressed about her Spanish placement, and what a shame about Spanish at her high school :confused: .

It really seems like she should take the Spanish placement exam according to the college’s website:

If it helps, my D19 has taken Spanish classes at the college in question. She took three years of Spanish in middle school (counts as one high school year) and four in high school with AP Spanish senior year. She also spent two weeks in an immersion program, living with a Spanish family.

She has taken three 200 level Spanish classes, and says that they would be challenging courses in English, yet all instruction, participation and writing is in Spanish. For examples of projects she wrote one paper analyzing the attitude of Jesuit missionaries towards indigenous people in Peru (using the original 16th century writings), and another about perspectives on the drug war as seen in Mexican short stories and TV crime dramas. It was a lot, despite the fact that her conversational Spanish is very good.

I bet your daughter would learn very fast and well in an intermediate Spanish class with a good professor. A student study group would be great also, and maybe she could study abroad in an immersion situation when her Spanish has a better foundation👍🏼

(Post edited to remove course numbers, which I did not realize would be school specific.)

1 Like

Hopefully, she gets the Spanish level class she is looking for. My big question is whether your daughter understands (and wants) the pace of foreign language instruction at the college level. It goes really fast and the expectation of out of class self study is enormous.

While I know she has decided she wants to learn Spanish, it might be less stressful (and more productive) to keep the fulfilled language designation at her college, and take a Spanish immersion intensive next summer (that would give her a full year in 6-8 weeks of a summer program). Filling her gaps, giving her confidence and setting her up to not stress about Spanish her 1st year of college. It also wouldn’t slow her down in terms of Spanish class selection the following year (if she decided to continue with Spanish).

(Posted edited to remove course numbers, sorry!)

1 Like

THere is no downside to the daughter taking the spanish test if she is able to on July 5. It doesn’t matter what the advisor said and the test will confirm whether that advice was good or not.

One of the beautiful things about this new platform is that instead of editing another user’s post, I can send it back to them to do the editing.

If a poster does not want to name their daughter’s school, putting a course name that when googled brings the school’s website as the first option is probably not what they want. :grin:

1 Like

They make free and clear pods now. Seems like the best option

2 Likes

I would have her speak with the head of the modern language department rather than the professor. Seems like that is the person with the authority to override the policy.

2 Likes

Sometimes the pods don’t fully dissolve in dorm washing machines. You may want to inquire on a school-specific thread to find out.

I just ordered these detergent sheets based on a friend’s recommendation. We’ll give them a test-drive at home. I hope they work b/c they’re eco-friendly and take up almost no space. Tru Earth Eco-strips Laundry Detergent (Fragrance-free) - 64 Loads - Tru Earth

6 Likes

Those look good, too. Report back!

1 Like

Ok, thanks everyone who replied (or just put up with all of this). My D did go ahead and take the test today. She said it was not as much of a train wreck as she feared but (as I would have predicted from her poor high school preparation) she scored a number that places her squarely in the second year of college Spanish (what would be expected of a student who had completed two or maybe three years in a well-taught high school Spanish program). The class she tested into (if they allow her to take it) is accelerated…it compresses what would be two semester of college spanish (that which would represent the high school levels 3 and 4) into one semester. The class that she was originally told to take based on her high school record is the next class up in the series.

I think she will do OK with the faster pace if she works hard. It will definitely be a challenge but she’s conscientious and very verbal (always tested several years above grade level in reading, for example). It’s not that she struggled in Spanish class, it’s that Spanish was THAT class she never had to spend time worrying about while she was slogging along with honors chem and APs in Calc, Physics, history, Lang, etc. (which were reasonably demanding, even at her high school). She just pushed back a little at yours truly, who tried to get her to do what her teacher didn’t, but she will want to perform well for a professor and with her college peers. I think if she takes a relatively light load her first semester (she probably won’t take a math or heavy science class) she can put a lot of steam into getting thIs foundational Spanish right. If she hates it, she can quit after one semester, knowing she did at least achieve that intermediate level. We’ll see what happens. Her test result was not borderline…she was not at the bottom but not near the higher end of the scoring rubric for Inclusion in the class so don’t see how they can force her to take the higher class (or quit Spanish altogether) unless they assume she was dumbing down her test responses on purpose.

10 Likes

For the people at the WL bar…

It does look like colleges are tracking data points to predict their summer melt. It’s hard to get your HS counselor to send a final transcript to more than one college…
https://twitter.com/drgravesUGA/status/1410958123485974530

2 Likes