Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 3)

We have our first complaint, son is finding the food to be bland and overall not that good. I going to ship him some spices and hopefully that helps.

5 Likes

If he does not wear one at home, that robe will never see the light of day.

7 Likes

We had same complaint last year (as well as the wails of anguish at the lack of real maple syrup).

First care package sent had maple syrup, hot mustard, Cholula, Sriracha, Gochujang, and chili garlic crisp. She also had a huge list of restaurants she wanted to eat at come Christmas vacation. Definitely learned gratitude over being raised with food with flavor.

10 Likes

We went to Target and I bought all the sauces. Not sure if he will bring them to the cafeteria but at least will have for leftovers.

2 Likes

You were clearly better prepared that us last year! I wish we had done that :star_struck:

We also sent these with the sauce package:

https://www.amazon.com/200-Sets-Plastic-Condiment-Containers/dp/B07TK3NBLQ/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2LIRQHIDT3F0Q&dchild=1&keywords=2+oz+containers+with+lids&qid=1629915401&sprefix=2+oz+c%2Caps%2C257&sr=8-3

1 Like

We didnā€™t even think of that.

1 Like

@skieurope I am going to see how this works out. Iā€™m 100% sure your hunch is right on but S21 might do it so that heā€™s not carrying old clothes/clean clothes since they will be another thing to lose. There will be no clothes to be found after week 2 if itā€™s like at home.

1 Like

Oh, goodness. My Asian kid is going to be in for a shock. Iā€™m going to have to send him a bottle of Maggi sauce and chilli oil :joy:

5 Likes

Just sent my first care package to S21 today and reading the most recent responses here about food, realized I completely forgot the one thing he asked for - Old Bay seasoning! Ah well, next time. I hadnā€™t planned on sending him a package so soon but he needed a water jug for rugby practice and trying to find one online, even through Amazon, was nuts. Ridiculously overpriced, especially since I have two at home sitting in my mudroom. Plus, I found the pair of brand new shorts that went missing when he packed up his clothes, along with a few other tshirts that had gotten mixed into his brotherā€™s things so was planning to send those soon anyway.

Then last night D23 made chocolate toffee cookies - not for him actually, but it was a huge batch so I ended up putting some in his package and sent it off.

I think S21 might be one of the few here who started classes already. He started a week ago Monday. Other than a few texts the first week when he needed something, I never heard from him, which I guess is a good sign! Then Monday morning he called out of the blue and we talked for nearly an hour (he is a boy of few words, so it was great to have such a long conversation). He is very happy, has made a lot of friends already, is playing club rugby and has his first game this weekend. Says his classes are good except for Philosophy is difficult (my most dreaded class 30+ years ago also!). Though he professed all summer he couldnā€™t wait to ā€œget out of hereā€ and go to college, days before he left he started feeling nervous. So it was a relief that his transition is going so well.

Best of luck to all of you still moving in! I love reading about everyoneā€™s experiences.

8 Likes

Oh man Iā€™m on edge. Covid breakthrough cases at daughterā€™s school are popping up everywhere. 94 percent vax rate (medical & religious exemptions allowed), mandatory masking indoors, and students had to have negative test results to move in and now here we are 6 days in. Also lots of kids with just regular nasty colds. I knew it would happen, but that was fastšŸ˜©.

My son is complaining about the same. Thankfully heā€™s in state and can come home over Labor Day weekendā€¦Iā€™m going to make some single serve freezer meals for him to keep in his room fridge freezer section that he can heat up and eat. Heā€™s missing my cooking lol.

1 Like

On the topic of bland food, we have also given hot sauce to go on a keychain as gag gifts but turned out to be a useful favorite (they have a variety of them available online) :fire:

5 Likes

Dā€™s friends advised her to bring spices and hot sauce. Itā€™s in her genes. Our most successful Fatherā€™s Day gift was a ā€œHot Sauce of the Monthā€ subscription.

2 Likes

I wish there were a product, an anti-seasoning, which could turn spicy food into bland food for D21. :laughing:

4 Likes

If itā€™s Indian food, adding plain yogurt helps. My kids used to do that till they could tolerate the heat (and now they relish).

We actually had Indian last night. D21 had plain naan, plain rice and tandoori salmon. Thatā€™s passable, in terms of spiciness, for her.

Plain yogurt, for D21? No, but frozen yogurt topped with cheesecake bites for sure. :laughing:

3 Likes

Drop off is complete! It went really well. It looks like Bryn Mawr did a great job with the roommate matching - they seem very compatible. She also seems to have gotten into all of the classes she registered for, whew! The campus is beautiful and the food looks to be really good with lots of healthy options - although I know that most colleges make an extra effort for when the parents are there! I canā€™t speak to the spice factor. The town is bigger than I thought it would be and the train station is really close to campus. So far so good! Thank you all for your support from start to finish in this crazy process. I think our kids will all do great things!

22 Likes

Congrats! The towns on the Main Line have gotten so much more interesting than in my days at Haverford. I think the food really is good from what my friends w/kids at both BMC and HC tell me. She has so many great traditions to look forward toā€“Lantern Night, May Day, Step Sing-- anassa kata!

1 Like

That is VERY NICE! It is very hard to get the classes you want. My daughter got some good ones and some not so great. Many classes were full as sophomores register before the freshmen. Do they eat in the dining hall or do they pick up food and eat in their dorm?
And getting a room mate she likes is really the icing on the cake! I am so happy for you!

1 Like

Bryn Mawr and Haverford together established a vaccination mandate back in May or June so the campus population is now about 96% vaccinated. Because of Delta, they decided to reinstate masks indoors except when in your own dorm room or when eating/drinking in the dining hall. At move in they were using outdoor tents for dining, Iā€™m not sure if they are continuing to do so but that would make sense as long as the weather holds.

1 Like