Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 3)

@MommaLue if you are wearing a closed shoe, like a sneaker or something similar that gets wet, if you stuff the shoes with crumpled up newspaper and let them sit over night, they will be dry the next morning.

I have lots of experience with that - kids who play sports in pouring rain!

5 Likes

My husband said the same thingā€¦ but good luck finding a newspaper in a hotel during covid!

Why is that? We had newspapers available in our hotel lobby. (DC.)

Miami of Ohio. https://www.miamistudent.net/article/2021/08/vaccine-mandate-612d654391f6a?ct=content_open&cv=cbox_featured

5 Likes

Thanks! Iā€™m sticking to my Archie flip flops. Good grip, itā€™ll dry, and I will deal with side eyes from hubby who is a stickler for wearing closed toe shoes for moving things. But really, itā€™s luggage and totes Iā€™m moving. Itā€™s no big deal.

I feel guilty for not having faith in the samsonite bags. All the amazon and this groupā€™s reviews said they will survive the check in process. My control freak nature took over. Went to Walmart tonight and got two luggage straps for each tote-a-ton bags. I may not be able to control the weather and lost luggage, but my luggage will keep it together, darn it! 6am PST flight tomorrow for us. Iā€™m excited. My son is out. Working out. Maybe last in-n-out run later tonight with buds. I feel like it could be a bad bachelor party parallelism where dude will just show up at home at 4:10am, in time for airport departure.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s great that your hotel had them. Havenā€™t seen them in years, now that I think about it. There was no lobby in our hotel, just a swanky bar. And no ā€œUSA TODAYā€ left at the door like they did back in the day.

Flip flops are perfect! Everything will work out. Youā€™re very well prepared and the ā€œbachelorā€ can sleep on the plane. :laughing:

I will admit that I had no desire to pick one up (I read my news online) but DH asked me to grab oneā€¦:so I reluctantly did. And of course, he then never bothered to read it. (Which annoyed me!!!)

Butā€¦. Maybe I will next time if itā€™s rainy out, hahah!!!

Next time Iā€™ll bring newspapers or maybe just bring more appropriate shoes! This was an NYC (all on foot) adventure, and a surprise weather change. I did, however, bring bandaids everywhere we went and everyone in our party were happy to have access to them.

1 Like

Speaking of bandaids, when we moved my oldest into his dorm a few years ago my husband managed to cut his hand in the process and bled all over the new sheets :roll_eyes: Luckily it came out with cold water and of course the trusty first aid kid came in handy right off the bat. Ay ay ay

4 Likes

Dropped off D21 today. We left home in the morning with a lot of anxiety since she was not impressed during our visit in March. It was a gorgeous day in New England. Pulled the car up to her dorm and 7-8 tall and strong girls took everything out of the car and carried it right to her room. Everyone was so cheerful and helpful, and there was plenty of activity on the stunning campus. She set up her room in a leisurely way till she was satisfied. She made friends with a group of students who were waiting for their Covid tests and made plans to meet up for lunch, time permitting. We were all very relieved today. Itā€™s a good start. Hoping it continues.

26 Likes

Dropped off D18 at Amherst College for her senior year. She wonā€™t even say that as she hates that her time is coming to an end there. Parent lunch outdoors was cancelled and move in was a bit off, but all in all we managed.
Drove up to Williamstown to drop off D21 at Williams College and it was love at first sight. Beautiful campus. Roommate was a class act. She left her a gorgeous bouquet of flowers and a welcome note since she was at a first gen event.
Life is good.
And the nest was empty.

24 Likes

S21 all moved in at Brown. His roommate seems like a great kid. Roommateā€™s mom got S21 a matching rug so we also lucked out in that dept, too.

I had skeptics in the fam with my 3 samsonite tote-a-ton bags fill and secured with luggage straps. All 6 bags and suitcases checked in. Spreadsheet show where things are and suggestions to son on where they go at the dorm. My husband complained the entire time that I overpacked. ā€œNo one will have this much.ā€

We got everything organized and squared away in less than two hours from the car to the part where i lounged outside to soak in the fresh air (we are from CA and their air quality has been crap for weeks). Hubby wouldnā€™t leave sonā€™s dorm because the tempurpedic topper was so comfy. Son and roommate both had fans so they had it going on. RA kept popping in but I think he liked the fans. S21 asked for a shoe rack afterwards so we attempted Target, Walmart, Home Depot, Home Goods. Shelves literally all empty. Perhaps I was a little smugged about my point of not shopping here due to out of stocks. Iā€™m just undefeated vs dorm move in now.

Thank you to this CC tribe for all the tips!

17 Likes

Honestly my biggest concern about move in was having a rental car issue. We grabbed the 7 suitcases and Mr Meddy left to grab the car. The agent asked everyone without a reservation to step out of the line as they were out of cars. We prepaid for an suv and they had none so he was offered a 15 passenger van. He told the woman at the counter, ā€œI have to drop off two teenage girls at college. Theyā€™ll kill me if I show up with that.ā€ She had mercy and managed to find him a pick up truck :rofl:

13 Likes

For those late shoppers like me/us, the Temper Topper is 40% off thru Monday.

3 Likes

Your hubby is a really good dad!!! Love that story!!!

4 Likes

My daughter loves her Tempur-Pedic Topper. Yep I bought is 40% off.

2 Likes

Thank you for the Tempurpedic topper suggestion because the dorm mattress support was a spring platform that Iā€™m sure have had a lot of monkey jumping on the bed stories because it was kinda loose. The mattress at S21ā€™s dorm was plasticy (so I guess less bug bite issues but i did have a zipped cover around it. The topper was so comfortable that hubby lounge there even though it was past time to leave. The topper didnā€™t emit any smell. I had kept it compressed but out of the box for a few months so not sure if that helped. I had plans to unwrap it at the hotel to vent just in case roommate had smell sensitivity but we had hurricane Ida threatening buckets of rain so I ended up keeping it wrapped up.

For those who have yet to move and using the samsonite tote-a-ton bags, I recommend luggge straps. Ours was so packed that the straps likely helped ease the stress on the zipper. We checked in our bags so I didnā€™t want to risk worst case scenario of everything I packed strewn apart.

If you think it will rain, put the content in a garbage bag before you stuff it in the bags.

We used the tip of keeping sons clothes on the hangers and putting them in garbage bags and then in the duffel bags. It was so easy just hanging his clothes on the closet.

5 Likes

Yes! Thanks so much for this group who mentioned the 40% tempurpedic sale a while back. My daughter is obsessed with how comfy cozy her bed is. Only problem is it keeps sliding off, Iā€™ve actually seen a lot of tik toks about that issue but she doesnā€™t care because of the comfort!

1 Like