Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 3)

What’s worked for my kids in regard to the topper being hot is to put a mattress pad over the topper. Also, put the gap in the topper at her feet and it won’t be an issue.

1 Like

Is this what you would consider a mattress pad?

Amazon Basics Hypoallergenic Quilted Mattress Topper Pad Cover - 18 Inch Deep, Queen https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KBKI1NG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_Z62Z0A5B6J7Q8YZ4C4CM

Yes, but it may or may not be very cool, as it is 80%polyester20% cotton…May not matter much where your son is going though, especially if there’s a/c on the dorm.

Yes, anything like that. They’re pretty inexpensive. Check depth. Memory tells me that dorm mattresses are about 6 inches, plus the topper’s height. I like the ones with elastic all around the edges because they stay put better when sitting on the bed. I noticed the the one you linked to can go in a hot dryer, which is a good thing. Sigh - I’ve melted mattress pads before, back in my younger and dumber days. Oh - waterproof would also be good so spills don’t wreck the topper.

ETA: For what it’s worth, I’ve ordered all the kids’ sheets and mattress pads from this company. We live on a budget and these fit our needs. Very satisfied with the quality.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/California+Design+Den/page/FC8F9A6A-B0C9-4BB1-8448-AD997FC29EB4?ref_=ast_bln

1 Like

OK, so I went to the source…the tempurpedic phone rep said that the cooling mattress itself is made with a gel material, so it’s not just the cover. However, she said it may also feel a little cool in winter as well (which my D wouldn’t like at all) and is best for those people who generally tend to feel too warm year-round. So, I think I’ll just go with the regular twin XL mattress (there’s a sale on now and add a thick mantras pad. FYI, the rep said stock for the cooling topper is expected back in sometime in June.

4 Likes

Okay, I’m slowly dipping my toes into the pool of college dorm purchases thanks to many of you.

Just called my local “Tempur Pedic” store retailer to order the 3” Twin XL mattress topper (Manager claimed they can get it in 3 weeks versus the usual 6-8 weeks if you order directly from Tempur Pedic.)

On sale $179 (from usual $299).

Am excited! First thing purchased now for his dorm. :partying_face:

4 Likes

@3SailAway, what does your D19 do about mattress toppers (if at all) at W&M…is there a cooler alternative? I noticed there are cotton ones but can’t imagine they could feel as good on your back as memory foam…

Thank you! I just got the 600 CT bedding set and the bamboo mattress pad cover. I had gotten a deep pocketed 400 CT bedding set but it doesn’t feel as soft and my kid has a texture/skin issue (for the longest time he could only wear dri fit material or sueded cotton). I got him a flannel set for winter. He’s going to Brown and there is no AC. Had he gone to UCI, they wouldn’t have had AC, either (it’s CA!).

1 Like

My D just got a similar email. An additional $10k merit per year from Furman. Assuming that you are talking about another school, that is interesting. So much conversation about little waitlist movement from many schools but obviously others, like Furman, still have space.

7 Likes

We put a 2 inch topper with a zip around cover over it over the dorm mattress and then mattress pad and then sheet 2 years ago. We got one from Lucid on Amazon and he said it was very comfortable. Might do the 3 inch this year. My oldest son’s dorm had a humidity problem so we threw it away at the end of the year. Expect to do the same so I think we will stick with Amazon level quality!

Had she withdrawn her application?

An interesting thing is that many schools would hit the WL for extra students or even softly allow other friends of Furman kids to come in late. However, in this situation, Furman seems to either have extra funds or realize that its stats are coming in light and needs to lean in to grab some more high stat kids. According to their website, they had already extended their RD deadline to April 15 from January 15. Maybe next year they focus more on stats and less on the holistic piece.

2 Likes

Is this the one you got? I am willing splurge on a topper it is helps her sleep better.

1 Like

Yes! Just make sure your student likes the memory foam feel! Mine loves it!

Thank you so much

Thank you for the memory foam reco! I just ordered this for S21. :joy: It’s a pillow of our dog. That dog loves him to the end of the universe.

5 Likes

If you are thinking of packing memory foam in luggage, keep in mind the weight for size, as its denser when it’s shrink-wrapped - For older sib, I had it shipped to the hotel, this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZYC8955/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1, says 7.5 lbs. I had planned to unroll it there but I don’t remember if I actually did. For S21s, I’m hoping they won’t need memory foam - I guess I should start sniffing around their colleges’ forums to see,

@SammoJ I’m only about 45 minutes from Georgetown so if your son ever needs anything, I’m happy to help! Same goes for anyone else here whose kids are going to school in DC.

My oldest is across the country but we have a friend in the same city and relatives only 90 mins away. S19 is a 5 hour drive but S21 will be an 8 hr drive or 90 min flight. D23 wants to go to school in Ireland, England or Scotland! None of my kids want to be near home-glad they want to explore new areas but would be nice to have at least one nearby!

4 Likes

Costco sells a regular topper and a cooling topper by Novaform. They usually go on sale for back to school in July or August. We purchased and had it sent directly to the school. It lasted her all four years.

3 Likes

S19’s topper is a regular twin and it’s fine. He has a backrest (affectionately called a husband when I was in college) at the head of his bed so we place it so the gap is at head of the bed and is not noticeable. It has never been a problem. He’s moving up to a full size bed so S21 will take this one to college.

1 Like