Parents of the HS Class of 2023 (Part 2)

I don’t think we will have a tuition deposit. It is 100% residential.

3 Likes

She decided she wanted to take a broader approach and was not willing to commit 100% of her energies to MS - and they were pretty clear with her that CCS is uniquely for students ready to run with their major. This will give her an opportunity to study the ES field more widely - and if she decides in a couple of years that she does want to focus in that direction, she’ll likely apply there for grad school.

Thank you again for your help @lkg4answers :blush:

1 Like

So, update.

D23 got off the WL at CWRU this am!

Really leaning towards Mt Molyoke - but the $$……36K more over 4 years, they define ‘need’ differently. Money isn’t the ONLY consideration - but if it was 36k less for MHC she’d absolutely be going that direction.

It feels great to have the ability to choose between top options! But also stressful.

She took a big step tonight, and withdrew from Grinnell, Sarah Lawrence, and Stevens - she will let those spots be filled by someone else.

Still on the WL for 2 more. I think Bryn Mawr she would likely turn down (as she never got to visit), but Wesleyan would be another hard choice.

23 Likes

We made a decision! My daughter is going to Brandeis!!!

This is a case of admitted students day being really important to the process. Short version: the school that was her frontrunner did a mediocre job on admitted students day, while her second choice really embraced her during the visit and it made all the difference.

Longer version:

Admitted students day at George Washington was cold and boring. Watched powerpoint presentations for 4 hours in an auditorium with very little useful information. They did a terrible job selling the school. Literally refused to answer questions that came up about housing in those 4 hours and then had us tour a dorm with someone who knew literally nothing about freshman housing (How do they find roommates? Ummm…I don’t know. When can they sign up for housing? Ummm…I think the deadline already passed?). All this plus the fact that financial aid office completely ghosted me for a month gave us the overall sense that they really didn’t care if she goes there.

Brandeis had a more warm and welcoming admitted students day. The students were all friendly and willing to share their experience and had wonderful things to say about their professors, classes, and friends. It feels like so many kids mentioned how they are close with their professors, which is something really important for my daughter. Lots of opportunities to ask questions, meet students, staff, and other prospective families. She felt included and could picture herself there. My husband and other family members had wonderful experiences there as undergrads which also helps. It’s been a long ride, but just submitted the deposit for Brandeis Class of 2027!

22 Likes

We have a decision! Are we the last? :joy:

UMD is the winner. :tada:

23 had applied undeclared and is itching to get the major updated. Professors in the program are doing cool work.

Their dorm will be near the fitness center, sports fields, theater for plays and concerts, the barn with horses, and an outreach club they may join.

They are already friendly with staff who work there, will work on campus this summer, and can’t wait for Maryland Day to happen this weekend! The whole campus opens on Saturday with access to robots, the insect zoo, horses, the helicopter, the wind tunnel, free veggie plants, concerts, free books, and so on.

They NEVER went to an admitted students day because they could probably lead it themselves. :joy: They did take a tour.

They’ll be in a scholars-honors program that will offer a small community that lives and takes classes together—and takes trips to NYC, etc.

They’ve already been to their first college party with UMD students, because they work there. So they have a level of comfort and know what to expect.

23 will dread telling a soccer coach they won’t be coming to the SLAC. Time to have that convo and to let that school know we won’t be using the Tuition Exchange. That will be done today and, hopefully, someone else will get a nice surprise of free tuition at that school. :smile:

This took a long time. 23 was a bit dismissive of the home state option and began to see that they should feel fortunate because friends were not getting accepted. I casually mentioned the rankings, because this seemed to matter to my kid.

23 also said, “A lot of the very smart kids from my school are going to UMD,” and I think that helped. My kid is a bit cohort focused and likes to run with people who have focus and care deeply about learning.

We had saved enough for a state school and I might surprise 23 with a car in a year or two. I also thank teachers for talking openly about paying college loans 20 years out, because that helped 23 see they wanted NO debt.

Thank you to all of YOU. It’s been amazing to watch the journey of your children (now adults!) and to hear of their successes. I can’t thank you all enough for the mantra of “love the school that loves you back.” :heart:

:turtle: Go Terps!!

26 Likes

Congrats! There is so much to love about Maryland. Have enjoyed your thoughtful posts, one potential tuition exchange parent to another. Wishing 23 and your family all the best in this next exciting chapter.

And no, ha, you are definitely not the last. My D23 is still on the fence and will likely not decide until April 30. Deep breath:)

7 Likes

Congratulations! Great choice.

2 Likes

I can understand that. It is hard to talk to people who aren’t in the thick of college applications with children as they don’t know all the details with what is currently going on. I was that way 5 years ago and 2-3 years from now I will fall behind.

I also know Bama has some kickers in terms of stipends etc.

When there is a COA of $15-30K still left to pay it is different than a true full ride that has a COA of $0. D19 was having a discussion freshman year with a friend and this person was counting their loans into their scholarship money. I have also heard sports parents talk similarly about scholarships when most likely because of the sport the kid didn’t get a full scholarship. I have never called anything out anyone. Over the years I have heard full tuition and full ride used interchangeably. Same goes when some news report will say a kid got a full ride to an Ivy. We all know that isn’t true.

I know all that can sound nitpicky but $25K of costs is still a big number to deal with even spread over 4 years.

And before anyone says I am only bringing this up because my D23 is taking a full ride just know I thought this way for many years.

5 Likes

Welcome to Terp Nation!!

2 Likes

We had a similar experience at GW admitted students day. S23 felt like they just assumed he’d be attending and that they didn’t really try to woo him at all. And he’s not the type to care about that, so if he noticed, it must’ve been pretty pronounced.

6 Likes

@Kombucha22 yes she did. She had an interview last December. Her interviewer was VERY interested in her local volunteer organization she formed, and she ended up receiving a leadership scholarship. Syracuse is VERY big on demonstrated interest. She also got into the honors college.

That’s great news!

1 Like

Case Western looks to be the one but my son hasn’t officially committed as we have a few more questions to ask for clarification, but he’s pretty close!

Am I the only one with a kid who seems anxious for high school to end and ready to start this next college chapter? I don’t see the struggle with leaving home, aside from him saying he will miss the dogs so much and it will be hard to see his GF less (she will be attending Binghamton.) No mention of how much he will miss mom and dad. Lol. I shouldn’t be shocked. We raised our kids to be very independent (my daughter chose Loyola New Orleans, 19 hours away by car and she was the one calling me daily after she left for college to see if I was ok :joy:) My son already spent 2 summers in Mexico solo (stayed with my husband’s cousin and his wife) doing gymnastics so he is definitely adventurous and self-sufficient-which is a GOOD thing. I should be happy but I am definitely having a hard time embracing our upcoming empty nest chapter. I take solace in the fact that he will only be 3 hours away. As for the pandemic, he was one of the rare examples of a kid who didn’t mind the remote learning and doesn’t feel he missed out on too much in high school, just bounced right back in when things reopened. But he tends to be pretty resilient and just goes with the flow. It’s really going to be tough letting go, but he is ready to spread his wings for sure.

7 Likes

I am glad to hear that you had a similar experience at George Washington and it’s not just in my head. I know it sounds a little crazy to dismiss a school based on admitted students day, but I felt like it was a proxy for how they would (mis) handle other things down the road. Throwing a fun admitted students day is easy (Just give me some snacks!!!) - and the fact that they couldn’t meet a low bar felt telling. What would they do if my kid attends and has an actual problem?

4 Likes

For us, coming from California, 3 years of room and board, in Alabama, frankly feels like pennies, especially when there’s some stipend money as well. I would assume if someone said they had a “full ride” from Alabama it’s one of these scholarships we’re all familiar with. UC Berkeley will cost me 160k, as an in state public school, so Alabama feels like an incredible value… even though my son won’t be attending.

4 Likes

@Kombucha22 and @bxgirl
So happy for you both and I am glad your kids found their happy places! I am amazed by colleges that really don’t seem to try to woo their prospective students - especially on admitted students day!!
I guess the coming plunge in college-age kids doesn’t concern them …seems very very short-sighted to me.

3 Likes

Also worth remembering that for a lot of people, “full ride” means specifically all tuition and fees, with room and board not within the scope of the definition. Yeah, that’s not precisely accurate, but outside of a technical context (which, weirdly, I would argue includes CC for this topic) words are defined by the way people use them, not by technical definitions.

2 Likes

We also haven’t pressed the “commit” button yet—though it seems like it’s definitely going to be Occidental. I’m trying to rein in my regrets at letting go of a more prestigious/recognizable name, and embrace all the real upsides to Oxy for my kid.

I’m glad to hear about the experiences with GW’s admitted students day. It was one that we never had a chance to visit, despite D23 getting an audition-based scholarship. She was never a fan of the urban campus or the vibe she got from afar, but not checking it out in person is another regret I’m trying to let go of!

3 Likes

I have a kid who is definitely like yours. She is ready to move on from high school… very ready. She’s been ready for at least a year now. I know she will be fine on her own. I will miss her as I missed our earlier two, but we have a special needs child that will be with us indefinitely. So, I guess I am in a different spot than you. I won’t necessarily find it difficult to let go, but I do realize what a shift it will be in our lives and that is a little hard for me. Hugs to you.

2 Likes

Well, to be sure there are some kids going to an Ivy on a full ride. The poorest kids who qualify for full financial need being met.

Just wish that was made clear in the reports.

4 Likes