Penn State Class of 2027 Official Thread

check out the Penn State Decision thread, you will see the stats of who was accepted and to which majors

1 Like

Does anyone know when rolling admission decisions tend to come back? I applied on the 17th of November, any idea when I will hear back?

Daughter applied rolling on August 22nd, acceptance letter date November 18th.

Ohio state will release on Dec 9 and Jan 21 in two batches. Maybe the poster was talking about Ohio University?

Not admitted yet, but looking ahead at Sapphire Leadership at Smeal business. I read that 2 recommendations are required for Sapphire application.
Does anyone know if there are essays?

assuming OOS, i think its gotten considerably more competitive to get into OSU than PSU the last several years. Some majors could skew chances but overall its easier to get accepted to PSU.

My son was admitted to Smeal business last night at midnight :blush:

6 Likes

Do you know when he applied?

October 3rd

1 Like

Has anyone heard back from the science majors like biology?

Congrats!

1 Like

My son was accepted to Pre-medicine UP 2 weeks ago.

1 Like

Penn State historically has determined admissibility by GPA and rigor (2/3 of the decision), with test scores accounting for only 1/3 of the decision. In 2014 my daughter was admitted DUS with a 3.5 GPA with high rigor, but she did have to attend LEAP in the summer (which she loved!) - but DUS has only become more competitive since then.
If you look at last year’s decision thread you can see where a lot of the 3.5 and 3.6 GPA’s were admitted. Many of them were deferred to a commonwealth, but many also got in to UP. It really depends on your rigor and grading scale.
I know none of that helps, but basically, if you’ve applied with summer option and undecided, that has historically given you the best shot at admission. Reports that they are advising people to choose a liberal arts major instead of DUS are new and not really confirmed.

1 Like

This is my weekly reminder and info for new folks!

1. Penn State decisions are random. It doesn’t matter when anyone applied so knowing when someone applied means nothing to your application. They don’t go in order. They don’t make decision by college, major or application date. The applications get moved into so many different buckets and there are so many different admission officers who get the files randomly, that decision are random - EXCEPT that those that hear early (think November for EA applicants) are generally high stat or low stat applicants - the obvious yes’s and the obvious no’s. BUT, not all high stat applicants will hear early.

2. GPA’s are very tough to compare because of the wide variation in grading scales. One 4.0 is not equal to another 4.0 nor is one 3.5 comparable to another 3.5 if one of the applicants took all AP and honors classes and had a very tough grading scale.

3. Summer LEAP program is universally loved by those who attend. It is an additional cost so there is always that to consider. If you say you will go for summer, and you are admitted for summer - then you must attend for summer if you accept your admission. You will not be able to ask to move to fall, as they’ve already made a decision for fall and it was a denial. Summer admission is the second decision on your application - after they’ve already determined you are not eligible for fall admission. The ONLY way to change any decision is to ask for resubmission with new information on your application that substantially would change it -such as major, campus, and start date.

4. Regarding commonwealth campuses - don’t immediately dismiss them. Penn State is very good at seeing who can be successful at Penn State and who needs a little slower roll out. Same with summer by the way. I’ve seen countless kids change their major etc to get in for fall and then flame out. Penn State UP is VERY RIGOROUS. If you are a borderline applicant, you may be much more successful doing the 2+2 program, ESPECIALLY in the early “weed out” classes in Engineering and Business that PSU is famous for. Over 50% of all Penn State graduates started at a commonwealth. You can read about the 2+2 here: 2+2 Plan - Undergraduate Admissions

5. All Commonwealth campuses are not equal. Some are run more like a community college - and others have dorms, student life and 4 year degrees that can be completed at that campus making it a 4 year college in it’s own right. There is a pinned thread about the commonwealth campuses on the main psu page here. You can also read about each campus on Penn State’s web site - but IN GENERAL, the campuses most considered to be a regular college environment are Altoona (40 min from main campus), Erie (3+hours from main campus) and Harrisburg (90 min from main campus).

What’d I miss?

6 Likes

Thanks for your help!!

My son’s portal says “ Sorry, we are updating your application record. Please check back later to view your application details.” and the TO button is gone. Has others had this same message prior to a decision being released? Thanks!

Does his page also have Information for Accepted students?

Yes it does.

Congrats you’ve been accepted! This happened to us. Take a look up on the thread where I provided instructions on how to find your acceptance letter by logging into LionPath.

2 Likes

Thank you soooo much!!! He got in!!!’

6 Likes