Penn State Class of 2027 Official Thread

Congrats again! Please post his stats on the decision thread and happy Thanksgiving!

1 Like

Did you figure this out? My son is having same issue today trying to get these essays put into the mypennstate Schreyer app.

My DS emailed Schreyer and asked about it. They told him that they were aware of the issue and not to worry about the formatting, and they would not penalize the applicant for it.

1 Like

Thanks! Itā€™s a messā€¦ā€¦I wonder how they read it on their end! Your message is from a couple of months ago. Hard to believe they did not resolve by now.

Yeah. if you view the source of the page in preview mode and see all the content intact you should ok as once you submit it most likely will get converted to pdf or something on their end.

FYI. We had the same issue with penn state main app too (did not apply through common app) but he was accepted so I am guessing they were able to read the content as expected.

1 Like

This process has made me pretty skeptical of all the stats the schools post, though Iā€™m relieved that theyā€™re not reliable, actually, because my kid isnā€™t a great student and he really wanted to go to PS main campus. OOS. Only has a 3.1 GPA, no scores, no real ECS. He was accepted. I see all these kids with 4.5 GPAs and top scores applying from OOS, and I donā€™t really understand why theyā€™d choose PS over, say, Michigan. But Iā€™m super-happy my DS got in. Such a relief.

5 Likes

oh, and no advanced class at all, so even though he school (private) is very rigorous, he didnā€™t take any of the top classes. But he is so excited and so are we

2 Likes

Wow gratsā€¦we havenā€™t heard yet still. What major?

Congrats! Maybe he took the right subjects for the program he was interesting in. Some schools in some regions suffer from grade inflation. Thatā€™s another factor they consider.

1 Like

SATs scores at all schools the past 2-3 years are of course inflated. Since most are now optional to send score in it goes to follow that only those with very high / impressive scores will send them in. So for example, while a school 5 years ago may have had 5000 Nursing applicants send in their scores for an average of 1300 now only those above the former ā€œaverage/medianā€ will send them in thus inflating the average SAT score for admitted students. UNLESS of course they only admit students who send in SAT scores which in not the case we have been told over and over.

Liberal Arts, I assume, maybe sports journalism (I wasnā€™t that involved). Re TheSlash_07, his school DEFINITELY is not grade inflated, but he was in the bottom quartile with no ECs or leadership position, except for sport team, and guidance people told us he wasnā€™t likely to get into PS, so weā€™re really happy. Got rejected from Pitt, accepted to MSU so far. I am starting to think that most of these schools, which have really low yield, lie about their average GPA.

1 Like

today

Iā€™m sure Penn State and other schools are aware of your high school, its rigor, and the fact that its grades are not inflated.

1 Like

Iā€™m actually pretty surprised that a 3.1 GPA with no weighting was admitted to UP campus, especially already. If true, itā€™s likely that your school is well known to be very rigorous or there was some other hook. A 3.1 GPA is almost always a commonwealth campus admit. Thatā€™s awesome for your son and congratulations are in order, but itā€™s not the norm and applicants shouldnā€™t expect that same outcome. This is why we always say that GPAā€™s are difficult to compare.

2 Likes

Believe me, I was surprised. His school is indeed rigorous, but he didnā€™t take a single advanced class or even a language (he has ADHD, so they school exempted him). He is probably near the bottom of his class, and the guidance people were very discouraging. So far, he was rejected from Pitt, accepted at MSU and Butler. EDed Syracuse, waiting on IU and UDel. If he gets into those, I will fully declare that this system is phony. Frankly, I wish we hadnā€™t sweated it as much as we did. But weā€™re super-happy.

2 Likes

Congratulations to your son! That must be a relief to have that acceptance. Just out of curiosity, did your ā€œchange my test optional answerā€ tab disappear before you saw the acceptance? Also, did the decision come through just after midnight like so many others have had? Totally understand if you donā€™t know the answers. Congrats again!!!

Your kiddos stats are very good for nursing. The fact that she has an EMT certification indicates a strong interest in healthcare and should really help her stand out. Nursing is the toughest program to get into at UP. They get 3K+ applications for about 150 to 170 spots. We were told you have to have a near perfect GPA to get in.

(My daughter is a BSN alum and loved the program. Tough programā€¦cried through itā€¦but Iā€™m hearing thatā€™s not uncommon with nursing programs because they have so much content to learn. Iā€™ll just say sheā€™s working at one of the top 5 hospitals in the U.S. so the penn state name took her far.)

2 Likes

If he has ADHD, please reach out to Penn Stateā€™s disability services as soon as your decision to attend Penn State is finalized. Youā€™ll want to submit paperwork so that he can have accommodations in place for his first semester.

2 Likes