Penn State Class of 2027 Official Thread

Thanks.

Penn State will not consider mid year grades at all so donā€™t bother with sending them. They evaluate everyone with what theyā€™ve done as of end of Junior year.

2 Likes

I have a question about how rolling EA decisions interplay (if at all) with caps on the number of students admitted for any given major. In other words, my son is still waiting for a decision this week so it seems heā€™s on the late end of the EA process. But, if they only admit a certain number of students to, for example, the college of earth and mineral sciences, could he be edged out by applicants who were reviewed earlier in the process even if he has the same or better in the way of credentials? Or would these caps not really come into play until later in the general admission process?

1 Like

Anyone hear anything today? My son is still waiting and getting anxious :grimacing:

This is an excellent question and my guess is that there is no cap in EA process because some universities donā€™t guarantee available spots in regular decisions period. Not sure about PSU.

1 Like

Thanks for confirming. Thatā€™s basically what they said.

1 Like

We are in the same boat. I could be completely wrong, but based on some of the earlier comments, I was getting the impression that decisions might get loaded into the system at the end of the day and processed overnight. Iā€™m trying to hold off on checking the portal again until after 6 pm. This is stressful. :woozy_face:

1 Like

I was wondering the same thing in your previous comment. My DD is still anxiously awaiting a decision while a classmate who applied to the same major from her high school got in almost a month ago (with less course rigor and slightly lower GPA and TO). The classmate got into UP fall start so I was wondering the same thing - will my DD get summer start or 2+2 because theyā€™ve accepted the max number of fall start applicants for that major already? So thank you for asking the question.

2 Likes

I know how stressful it is for this rolling system and no email just portal. My son and I were checking basically almost every 2 hours before :joy:. The portal usually will change about 6pm where the TO button dissapears, In 2 hours you can check the lionpath.psu.edu to see the communication tab where youā€™ll find the acceptance letter there. Or if you want to see in the portal, it will change after midnight.

1 Like

So EA applicants are the earliest applicants. It is unlikely they would ā€œrun out of spaceā€ during EA admissions. Students are still getting accepted in March and April - but it is significantly more challenging at that late date due to space available. But at this time, I wouldnā€™t worry about being shut out of any majors. Penn State has a yield they are working towards and they accept far more than they expect will enroll each year. Because no one is really ā€œinā€ their major until they finish their entry to major requirements (with a few exceptions), space is as direct an issue as it might be in a more direct entry program. Nursing at Penn State is one example of a direct entry maor. You are either accepted as a freshman or not at all.

2 Likes

So quick question what happens if you donā€™t hear for EA by December 24th ? Do they inform all EA applicants by 12/24? Or do you get placed into Regular decision? Thank you

1 Like

If you donā€™t hear by the 24th they should let you know that they didnā€™t get to your application and you will hear by Jan 31. But they will work through EA requests before they do the RD decisions, so if you donā€™t hear by Dec 24, you should hear early January when they return the office.

4 Likes

Thank you so much for this information :blush:

Thank you.

Our TO button finally disappeared shortly after 6 PM. Couple of hours later acceptance letter was generated at Lionā€™s path portal. Our son was accepted to Smeal. Good luck to everyone!

11 Likes

We still havenā€™t heardā€¦College of Engineering, high stat student tooā€¦got the EA app in JUST by the deadline.

1 Like

I could use your guidance. My Stats are 1550 SAT/ 4.53 Weighted GPA/ 15 AP classes/ Varsity Sports/ Internships and volunteering etc, but I still havenā€™t heard of a decision. All my classmates with much lower stats received acceptance within a week after applying. Is it possible that thereā€™s an issue with my account? I also tried to login using Lionspath with the same username password but I get the error not authorized.

Iā€™m not sure how others have been able to login via Lionspath. Pls help!! Thank you!

you are able to login to lionpath when your TO button disappears.

2 Likes

Once you are accepted ( TO button disappears ), you will get the authorization instantly but letter of acceptance may be posted 2-3 hours later. You stats are good, so you should be fine.

1 Like

Did you apply ea or rolling admission? Application completed? I would give admission a call today.

1 Like