Penn State Class of 2027 Official Thread

Our FA package was loaded and they offered loans. sigh

1 Like

Daughter admitted to Erie campus nursing a few months ago (not UP as hoped), yet received financial aid package today with Provost Award ($24k over 4-years, in-state)! She’s planning to pursue becoming a Physician Assistant (5year BS/MPA program) elsewhere, but PSU-Erie + Provost would have been a tough choice vs Pitt nursing if she was still pursuing nursing!

1 Like

Does anyone know the email for the office of student aid? It does not directly say it on the website?

If you requested summer and were admitted summer, then that is the only option for going to UP campus. They have already denied him for fall. Only he can decide whether he wants to give up his “last summer”, but I’ve never talked to a student who didn’t love summer LEAP. I had three kids do it - one was accepted for fall and STILL chose to start in the summer. Search this thread for tons of information - but in my opinion, it’s a terrific option if you have the budget for it.

2 Likes

This is not about “room” for the fall. Penn State wants your student to be successful. They feel, based on his application, that he would benefit from a slower roll out to college and summer gives that opportunity. It would only be a money grab if he didn’t get anything from it - but he gets 6 credits out of the way and the ability to make friends and get acclimated to the campus before 50,000 students come in the fall.

Why did your son put summer as an option if he could not attend summer? If he was given summer, after a reconsideration, he was already denied fall at UP. There is no ‘reconsideration’ for fall again, because they’ve already done that. Unless you change the reconsideration request in some meaningful way, the reconsideration process is over.

For each student, they have to determine if the school is a good fit. This is the way Penn State does their admissions. In my opinion, I love that Penn State gives many avenues to admission and eventual graduation from UP campus - which opens many doors - rather than being rigid and exclusive. But you have to decide if that is something your son can live with.

For what it’s worth, summer is an amazing program and I’ve never heard of anyone not thoroughly enjoying it. If he can’t attend due to a planned trip, it’s likely his UP options are non existent or at least very limited. What major was he accepted to originally for the 2+2? And what major for the reconsideration?

1 Like

Were yesterday’s decisions only “positive outcomes”. Kid had everything in by December 1st but we haven’t seen anything yet. Thought we would have heard something yesterday 1/31.

@kidzfirst101 I would call admissions tomorrow and ask. Maybe he didn’t get everything (SRAR, test scores) in by Dec. 1st and was pushed to “rolling” ?

Same here. Still waiting on a decision. Seems very odd

Thank you so much!

1 Like

me too, daughter still has under review as status

my daughter is waiting too, same status report, had application in nov. 1 and srar in nov. 3, they originally accepted her in the world penn state, she called admissions to clarify this mistake and they placed her back into what we thought was early action then regular decision, still have not heard

The comparison tool below from Parchment is interesting. I know there’s more to it in selecting a college and my son will ultimately decide what feels right to him, however I’m curious why Penn State seems to be a much lower choice for admitted students when compared to other schools. I wonder if it’s 2+2 acceptances that distort these results or there’s some other large margin of error. Just doesn’t seem right knowing how reputable Penn State is. I need more hobbies! :rofl:

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. I also compared Penn State with ASU, and I see 62% pick ASU over Penn State. What could be the reason?

1 Like

Also 63% choose Rutgers over Penn State.

Anyone here who could shed some light on this? Not sure Parchment can be trusted a 100%, but still trying to make sense of these comparisons.

My guess
 Many students in NJ apply to Penn State and Rutgers. I suspect other than PA, NJ has the highest amount of applicants
to Penn State. The Schools are Similar as far as size and academic level. Ultimately, NJ Students choose Rutgers because of not wanting to do summer start or 2+2 and more importantly the in - state tuition in NJ. Much more economical for NJ applicant to attend Rutgers. Plus Newly implemented Scarlet Promise eliminates tuition for Jr and Sr year for those that qualify. Rutgers is also a much more diverse campus ( one of the most diverse in the nation). That could also play into students decision to attend Rutgers.

3 Likes

A student that has applied to Arizona State and Penn State and accepted to both is most likely from Arizona. Ultimately, that student will choose to stay in state. Pay in state tuition for a very similar education and experience. Additionally, those from Arizona accepted to summer start or 2+2 would most likely not accept.

2 Likes

Exactly this - many people apply and don’t get main campus so they go elsewhere. A school like ASU doesn’t have the same split - there’s just the one campus or maybe 1-2 satellites. Penn State has 20 campuses so everyone applying is most likely getting accepted to one of them which skews the numbers when they don’t accept. If the comparison was to university park only I’m sure it would be a completely diff picture. Its similar to doing a search online for Penn State avg acceptance rate/stats. They aren’t representative of main campus and instead 9 out of 10 times shows a combined set of statistics across all PSU campuses skewing acceptance rate higher and stats lower.

1 Like

Do we know if anyone got Provost award and was accepted at University Park?

1 Like

I know someone second hand who did, but she is not my child so take that for what it’s worth.

Thanks. I am sure everyone would appreciate surprise email, but I don’t think they give many.

1 Like