Penn State Class of 2027 Official Thread

I am not saying there are not any out of state students at ASU. I was answering the question about the fact that 62% of accepted applicants choose ASU over Penn State.

My twin daughters both accepted Penn State University Park. Would be OOS. excellent GPA etc
 No merit aid given to either, only student loans. I would have thought there would be some financial need with two going in at the same time, but I guess not. Other applied schools more generous. Umass Amherst, U New Hampshire, waiting on Purdue F/A and whether accepted to UCONN. acceptance to Northeastern, but not to her requested Boston location accepted to the Oakland Ca. campus. She will most likely decline that acceptance to the Northeastern Oakland campus, as she wants to stay closer to home (among other reasons)
Pens state was in their top three choices, and they are quite saddened about the lack of merit aid from Penn state.

PSU UP is not known to give merit. I believe the Honors College gives a little. Most attending PSU are paying full tuition.

1 Like

It might be helpful for people to look at Penn State’s most recent Common Data Set to get an idea of the amount of aid to expect
and the rarity of it.

The financial aid section starts on page 20. There is also a chart that shows how many students get any non-need based institutional aid. Last year, 476 freshmen out of a class of about 8,500 freshman received merit aid. That’s under 6% of the class. They certainly offered some more and those applicants didn’t matriculate, but this gives an idea of how rare merit at PSU is.

From the same chart, the average merit award is $5,786. In the past, about 300 freshmen are in Shreyer and they were given $5,000 each. If that remains the case, it means that only about 2% of the non-honors incoming class of about 8,500 will receive any merit.

9 Likes

What if a student had originally been admitted to the College of Health & Human Development, but then completely changed paths over the summer (prior to Fall start) and had an interest in eventually going the business route. How would a student transfer into DUS so they could get the required ETM classes, to then eventually get into Smeal?

Interesting. Is there a route then to get into Smeal from that College/Major?

What if a student had originally been admitted to the College of Health & Human Development, but then completely changed paths over the summer (prior to Fall start) and had an interest in eventually going the business route. How would a student transfer into DUS so they could get the required ETM classes, to then eventually get into Smeal? Is it even possible for them??

@Charlie257 The student would then transfer into DUS. (undecided). There are kids every year who change colleges at NSO - that doesn’t mean you can apply to HHD and move to Smeal at NSO. But you can most likely move to DUS. And if you can’t move at NSO (new student orientation - takes place over the summer - when kids schedule classes) - you can move later.

The key thing is to pay attention to those ETM requirements.

For Smeal, the ETMs are:
Math 110 (Calc). — Engl 15 ---- STAT 200 ----- Econ 102.
(there is some variation allowing you to take Honors English, but that is the most common path above. read the links above).
=> these are usually taken freshman year

Mgmt 301 — Mktg 301 ---- Fin 301 — Acctg 211
=> these are usually taken sophomore year.

So, if a kid is HHD - but thinking Smeal is an option, don’t take Math 26 or Math 22 if you don’t have to. Go ahead and take Math 110 - which can be taken by anyone. It might be too “hard” for an HHD major, but opens up flexibility. Take any of the first four - go into DUS - then you can take the second four from DUS. Pay attention to your gpa - some of those freshman classes aren’t easy.

That is extremely helpful. Thank you so much. So very good chance that the student could move into DUS(undecided) during the NSO, but if not, probably after the 1st semester freshman year. But be sure to focus on ETM requirements, no matter which college the student is in. Assuming no issue for a HHD student to take Math 110, etc. Would guess not? Thx again. You are a wealth of knowledge.

@Charlie257 exactly right. Can probably even move into DUS at beginning of freshman year if not at NSO.

No issue for HHD to take Math 110 - in fact, an advisor would probably say “that’s smart to offer you flexibility. but know that it is a harder math class”.

Also -have the kid track their own classes. don’t rely upon an advisor. google “MAJOR suggested academic plan Penn State” and you can follow the links - tailor if it any AP/DE credits.

happy to help - glad I could answer questions -

1 Like

The below is from the Smeal website “Entrance to Major”. If interested in pursuing a business major is there any advantage to applying/being admitted as a business major vs going in as undecided? Seems to me the answer is no but not sure if I am missing something.

1. Be enrolled at Penn State as a pre-major in the Smeal College of Business or the Division of Undergraduate Studies (DUS).

@RTC0608

advantage of pre-major in Smeal:

• Smeal advisor (DUS can go to Smeal drop-in advising if needed)
  • option to apply for Sapphire Leadership program if enter as Smeal pre-major.

other than that? no.

which is what we’ve been saying.

4 Likes

Was originally thinking of doing the same thing. Did you have any luck with that switch?

For anyone that was accepted to Penn State, but not UP campus, and appealed for reconsideration, how long did it take for you to hear back?

Requested reconsideration 12/10. Heard back 1/27.

1 Like

Requested on 12/19 and heard back on 1/27.

1 Like

Requested 12/10 and heard back 1/27.

Requested reconsideration on 12/12 and heard back 1/27.

Submitted App on 12/1. SRAR on 12/4. Still waiting to hear back on basic admit decision.

Feels like even if we got moved into Rolling due to SRAR delay, we should have heard back by now.

I think if application complete by 12/1, you heard by 1/31. It seems like most of those kids have heard. Sounds like you didn’t make that deadline and even though they say x weeks (8?)
 reality is, you are probably in line behind admissions getting through that pile first.

Have you called to find out when you can expect a decision? I would encourage you to do that - if nothing else, you will get a better sense of when you will hear-

Good luck.