Penn State Class of 2027 Official Thread

Smeal Management. Had no idea how competitive it was.

Daughter was accepted to Schreyer. Any feedback on the program? Nice to get some $$ - just wondering how beneficial the honors college has been for anyone that has experience with it?

Your daughter could look through PSU majors to see if there are any others sheā€™d be interested in in less competitive schools (such as Agribusiness Management or Energy Business, and Finance, or Economics), but youā€™d have to ask admissions whether theyā€™d consider a second reconsideration request. DUS has become a lot more competitive over the past few years, as people have realized that it is an alternate way to get into the even more competitive Smeal and engineering schools. If your daughter is set on a business degree and wonā€™t consider the 2+2 path, she should probably choose another university. Hopefully she has other schools to which she has been admitted to the business school.

Thank you. This is super helpful and great major suggestions! I am going to call today and give it a go. She does have other options but PSU is her top choice.

Another major to consider is Environmental Resource Management, in the Agriculture school (one of the least selective schools).

1 Like

Do you have any other admissions? Please do not keep all your expectations on Penn State UP.

From your previous messages, I am unable to find whether you are from PA or OOS. If you are from PA (specifically central PA), Harrisburg is a good option. I have been to Harrisburg campus many timesā€¦it is not UP, but it is a good campus.

Thank you! OOS. I called admissions and they were very kind and said after reconsideration the only option is appeal, which is usually done to explain an extenuating circumstance. So we are moving on. It wasnā€™t meant to be. DD does have some other good options, but this was #1 and wanted to exhaust all possibility.

As an FYI for everyone else and the future, they did mention it is best to get reconsiderations in by December. That is the first review round and best chance. We requested in mid January and they said they were limited on what they could do at that point.

1 Like

Lots of kids so transfer in. If she has her heart set on Penn State, itā€™s still an option. I donā€™t know how often the 2+2 can be a 1+3, but when we visited there were also transfer kids from other schools on our tour.

Itā€™s good advice to get excited about a school where you have an acceptance, but I have seen instances where kids knew what they wanted, didnā€™t get it, persevered, and ended up there eventually.

1 Like

Well, it seemed to take forever, but tonight we have been accepted to penn state university park!!! My daughter has not stopped dancing and I think we will have no sleep tonight

11 Likes

We are tornā€¦ but of course we are silent to our DSā€¦ will only offer guidance if requested!!!

I will say thisā€¦ PSU SHCā€¦ if one is diligent, applies themselves, seeks out opportunitiesā€¦ and does activities, gets good grades and so onā€¦ at the end of four yearsā€¦ PSU SHC will kick open doors.

I have a very close mentor who sent TWO children thereā€¦ one graduated and was one of two kids selected to a premier medical schoolā€¦ and the other graduated and was selected all expenses paid to a top graduate school (not med school, its what this one wants to do with a passion).

So, in MY PERSONAL CASE, for me as a Dadā€¦ might a poof out my chest a more at HS graduation to say going to a top5 engineering school for DSā€¦ yes, but, I think the PSU SHC ā€¦ should my DS choose thatā€¦ I can sleep well knowing high likely chance of huge success in 4 yearsā€¦like bowling with the guide rails upā€¦ there absolutely will be no gutter ball!!!

THEY LOVED LOVED LOVED itā€¦ weā€™re signed up for the Mar 25th SHC visit dayā€¦ but before anyone accosts me as the fatherā€¦ caveat we are silentā€¦ separate post should DS choose another schoolā€¦ such is HIS choiceā€¦ but has the choice.

GOOD LUCK! As a parentā€¦ I know first hand from touring SHC last year, talking to the Dean, talking to a student who walked us around for 3 hours just because she caredā€¦ AMAZINGā€¦ like literally the live right next to the Deanā€¦ its like college circa 1940ā€™sā€¦ these 300 kids are the schoolā€¦ and they get to develop as a whole person, maybe if like piano ā€¦ hey, cool, the get them in performancesā€¦ it is so individualized its NUTS!

1 Like

Congratulations!!!

You only need a 2.0 to stay in Fisher business and Isenberg Umass does not appear to have a minimum GPA. Penn requires a 3.5 to get into finance. Could be stressful trying to achieve that. Itā€™s definitely something to weigh when considering all the factors of choosing a school. So many things to consider when choosing the right fit.

1 Like

Anyone else received an email yesterday asking them ā€œhave you made your college decision?ā€

1 Like

Yes. Only college we have gotten a survey like this from. Since there is no housing priority I bet a lot of people havenā€™t enrolled yet. I wish more schools would do this to gauge who is coming.

2 Likes

We were up last week for admitted student day. I believe they said theyā€™ve had over 115,000 applications this year.

3 Likes

Yes, and also got one a few weeks ago from Purdue.

1 Like

Penn State is never ever referred to as Penn. They take it pretty seriously :slight_smile:

( Penn is the Ivy League school in Philadelphia. PSU , regardless of campus, is nicknamed as ā€œPSUā€ or ā€œStateā€ )

3 Likes

Wow! How many were admitted?

Anyone attended Admitted Students Day for Computer Science yet?

I canā€™t remember if they said that. I wish Iā€™d written the information down. I think they said they plan for at Freshman class of around 9,000.

3 Likes