Phi Kappa Phi!

<p>DS received his Phi Kappa Phi invite today! Proud of him for being one of the top 7.5% of juniors invited to join. Question is…should I make plans to go to the induction ceremony? I will be seeing him the week before during spring break. BUT, I will make the trip to T-Town if this is a big thing. Anyone ever attended?</p>

<p>Congratulations!</p>

<p>Congratulations to your son, Bamafama!</p>

<p>My son got this a couple of years ago. We did not attend the ceremony. It is just too far to go. He probably get something during Honors Week, too, but his spring break is the same as ours, and we cannot go down. The younger son has track and field meets and AP exams coming up.</p>

<p>Congratulations!</p>

<p>My D got the email today as well. Is it worth joining … these days it’s so hard to distinguish what is really valuable vs. who’s just trying to collect $$$, right? For example, is Phi Beta Kappa still as prestigious as it once was? I’m not familiar with Phi Kappa Phi … ???</p>

<p>Congrats! </p>

<p>I guess this is one of the “good ones”?</p>

<p>(forgive my ignorance about these things!!)</p>

<p>vlines, my question exactly … Does Phi Kappa Phi still carry the prestige of years past compared to other similar organizations?</p>

<p>Also, if you do not mind disclosing, what GPA usually gets into the top 7.5%. And is it based on their academic status of “Junior”, or the number of years on campus (3)?</p>

<p>thanks!</p>

<p>Thank you everyone! Here is part of the email:
Dear University of Alabama Student Scholar,</p>

<p>Congratulations! You are among the select group of students who are being invited this year to become a member of The University of Alabama’s chapter of the Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi, the nation’s oldest, most selective, and most prestigious all discipline honor society. Membership is by invitation only to the UA’s top 7.5 % of second term juniors and the top 10% of seniors and graduate students. </p>

<p>In joining, you become one of a distinguished group. Our members have served in the White House, the Congress, and the Supreme Court of the United States. They have won Nobel Prizes, Pulitzer Prizes, and numerous other national and international awards for service and achievement in their chosen fields. Phi Kappa Phi is proud to include among its membership thousands of men and women who, for more than a century, have sought to make a difference in the communities where they live and work.</p>

<p>DS is a 3rd year student although he is classified as a senior due to AP credit, etc.</p>

<p>Mom2cks recommended Phi Beta Kappa, Phi Kappa Phi, Mortar Board and the honor society associated with your child’s major. DS has already joined Beta Gamma Sigma which is the Business College’s honor society. With Phi Kappa Phi, I say 2 down and hopefully 2 to go! DS did also join Golden Key. Maybe because it was his first offer and we were excited. Although, I believe momreads son received a scholarship from Golden Key so she would probably recommend! DS has a 4.0 but I’m not sure of the exact GPA required to be invited.</p>

<p>I’ve gotten an invitation to join this honor society every year I’ve been at UA and haven’t joined because I wasn’t sure how it ranked in terms of honor societies. Now that I realize it’s on m2ck’s list of honor societies to join if invited, I’m likely going to join.</p>

<p>Roll Tide Sea_Tide!</p>

<p>Congrats for the invite! I hope your DS enjoys!</p>

<p>Does anyone have any updates on this honor society? My S received his invite this past week for Phi Kappa Phi. He is a 2nd year (sophomore), so I guess they go by credit hours for purposes of invitation. </p>

<p>My daughter just received her invitation. I think she will join.</p>

<p>Son joined this and I went up for the ceremony. I used the opportunity to rent the storage unit and put some things in to avoid the rush at move out. It was a very nice ceremony and this seems to be a pretty prestigious group. As an engineering major, son is not eligible for Phi Beta Kappa, so this was as good as he was going to get. I remember that many of the CC Superstars were inducted in his ceremony and I could not believe he actually was recognized on par with these glowing students. I don’t know if he’s ever gone to any meetings, but he does receive a newsletter/magazine, which he also receives for his engineering honor society. These are the two honor societies he lists on his resume when applying for grad school. Hope it helps! BTW, I need to find out if he needs to get regalia for graduation for these honor societies.</p>

<p>Other than feeling good, and adding a line to a resume, what’s the benefit of these various honor societies?</p>

<p>Chardo, while DD is a freshman at Bama, my DS will be graduating in May from Miami OH with a degree in accounting - Phi Kappa Phi, Beta Gamma Sigma. </p>

<p>Like Montegut’s DS with engineering, business majors are not eligible for Phi Beta Kappa - these are the two best honor societies for business majors. I don’t know how much it helps, but he “ran the table” with admissions to master’s programs including acceptances to the Indiana-Kelley, Notre Dame-Mendoza and Michigan-Ross business schools. He said that during a couple of the interviews, there were comments like " I was Phi Kappa Phi" or " I was Beta Gamma Sigma". Since you need great grades to be invited, I don’t know how much it matters, but it can’t hurt. </p>

<p>Why aren’t engineers or business majors eligible for Phi Beta Kappa? </p>

<p>^ because Phi Beta Kappa is specifically for liberal arts students. So says my PBK wife (math).</p>