Picking courses/required courses

<p>hey everyone,
I was accepted to the College of Arts and Sciences for the anthropology major but now I want to major in english--creative writing and minor in music business. 1) do I need to tell miami that I'm not going for an anthropology major? Also, what are the required courses at miami? Are cognates the only things that are required? It would be great if someone could explain what the requirements are because I'm pretty confused. On my ACT, my math section was a 28 and I read on one of the posts that a 28 or higher places you out of math? Is that true, or is math even required at all for the college of arts and sciences? </p>

<p>If you google umiami majors you can see the requirements for each major. Some majors will require more than just two cognates. I’m not familiar with the majors you mentioned, but to give you an example; a B.S. is Psychology requires a foreign language through the 200 level, math through calc II, a minor in a science, and a cognate (3 classes) in a humanity. </p>

<p>Scroll down on this page (hope the link works) and open the various tabs. Most of your questions will be answered there. The 28 Math ACT score gets you out of some math but not all, there is still math requirement, the same with English, so read everything carefully. <a href=“http://www.miami.edu/.../accep.../new_freshmen_registration/”>http://www.miami.edu/.../accep.../new_freshmen_registration/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>^ I think that link is broken… try this… <a href=“Undergraduate Admission | University of Miami”>Undergraduate Admission | University of Miami; </p>

<p>Jazz1005,
In addition to the Gen. Ed. (Cognate, English and Math) requirements here are the requirements for English CW with a minor in Music Business…
English : Students majoring in English must earn 30 credits in English courses (36 credits for
Departmental Honors) and must meet the requirements for one of the tracks described
below:
Credits earned for courses in freshman composition (ENG 105, 106, 107, and 208) may not
be applied toward the total number of credits required for the major.
CREATIVE WRITING CONCENTRATION

1. Admission to the Creative Writing Concentration is based on a writing
    sample submitted to the Director of Creative Writing.
    (For information about the writing sample, see the English
    Department Web site, <a href=“Department of English | College of Arts and Science”>www.as.miami.edu/English</a>).
  2. Completion of one of the following workshop tracks:
    Fiction track: ENG 290 3 credits
    ENG 390 3 credits
    ENG 404 (to be taken twice) or
    ENG 404 (taken once) plus ENG 408 6 credits
    Poetry track: ENG 292 3 credits
    ENG 392 3 credits
    ENG 406 (to be taken twice) or
    ENG 406 (taken once) plus ENG 408 6 credits
  3. One of the following courses: English 201, 202, 205,
    211, 212, 213, 214, 215, 260, 261. (N. B., ENG 210 may not be used toward the fulfillment
    of this requirement.) 3 credits
  4. Four more literature courses numbered 300 or higher, at
    least two of which must cover literature earlier than 1900.
    Two of the four courses must be 400-level.
    12 credits
  5. One more literature course numbered 200 or higher.
    3 credits
    Total: 30 credits</p>

<p>Music Business Minor:
A minor in Music Business and Entertainment Industries consists of 12 credits:</p>

<p>• Multinational Recorded Music Industry (MMI 173) 3 Credits or (for Music Majors only)
Music Business Essentials (MMI 310) 3 Credits
• Introduction to Music Copyright Law (MMI 274) 3 Credits
• 6 Additional Credits from the following choices:
o Artist Development and the Live Entertainment Industry (MMI 273) 3 Credits
o Entertainment Industry Contract Basics (MMI 378) 3 Credits
University of Miami Bulletin, 2013-2014
Undergraduate, Frost School of Music
o Recorded Music Operations (MMI 537) 3 Credits
o (For Music Majors only) Entrepreneurship for Musicians (MMI 530) 3 Credits</p>