Pictures of a Freshmen Dorm Room

<p>Okay so the bed lofts come from this company: <a href=“https://www.bedloft.com/[/url]”>https://www.bedloft.com/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>They told us while we were there that this is the ONLY bed loft you’re allowed to use. You pay the company to rent the loft for the year (it’s pretty pricey, like $200) and they set it up in your room before you get there. Definitely a plus for space, but I was kind of miffed about the monopoly. But whether this applies to bed risers, I have no idea.</p>

<p>Does anyone have the measurements (aprox) of the closet (length, depth and height?) And the height of the space between the shelf above the closet and the ceiling?</p>

<p>Id you decide to use a bed loft, is under the bed against the window wall a good spot to place the TV, with the chair on the opposite end of the bed?</p>

<p>So then where would you place the micro/fridge? Between the 2 beds under the window?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>I don’t really understand the concept of having a tv in a dorm room…</p>

<p>My daughters both watch tv shows on their laptops, or hula or netflix. Are there lounges in the dorms with tvs?</p>

<p>looking for feedback from kids who have already been at school. Did you use a tv if you had one? Did you wish you had one if you didn’t have one?</p>

<p>Mtpaper: I’m not a student at Miami (yet), but from a teenager’s point of view, I’d want a TV so I could watch things on a little bigger screen than a laptop. Plus, although Hulu and Netflix are great, nothing beats seeing a live show right there (not to mention that many shows aren’t available online). Also, you can hook up your video game system to a tv, which you can’t do with a laptop. Just a few things I can think of, I know I’m not a student, but I hopefully will be in a year and a half (UMiami Class of 2016 hopeful :slight_smile: )</p>

<p>Does a tension rod work in the window frame?</p>

<p>Yes, a small tension rod works perfectly. All you need then is a single panel curtain.</p>

<p>They went to the one loft company because someone had a wood loft collapse on them and was injured. It was also chaos having people trying to cart wood, etc. on the elevators while students were trying to move in.</p>

<p>How about light for the room? Are lamps a good idea for the dorm room?</p>

<p>Yes. I would get one for your desk and maybe one for your bed (especially if lofting). If you do not have lamps then your only light source is the large overhead lighting. This stinks when one roommate wants to sleep and the other study.</p>

<p>Are there shades on the windows or are curtains a necessity?</p>

<p>There are big metal hurricane shutters on the outside of the windows. They can be closed and really darken the room. They are, however, unattractive. A light colored single panel sheer on a tension rod works best for concealing them.</p>

<p>Any idea what length rod and what width panel to buy?</p>

<p>I had my daughter measure hers from her freshmen year. </p>

<p>Rod - 38"
Curtain - 42"</p>

<p>Thank you @SVMMom and daughter!</p>

<p>Thanks for all the wonderful input. My son is an incoming freshman and you all gave been so helpful!<br>
I have 2 questions:</p>

<p>How many outlets are in Stanford and where are they located?</p>

<p>Should each room have their own printer or is there access to printers in common areas?</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>Lisafest,</p>

<p>Coming up on 4 years removed but I remember at least two outlets and that there was a communal printer area (son also had a small inkjet we picked up for near nothing as a Black Friday doorbuster for small jobs…not a bad idea as long as it is compact).</p>

<p>Anyone know if there are hooks in the closets, or anywhere? Thinking of something to hang wet towels on. Assuming the over the door hooks sold at BBB are not good, since no actual closet door… suggestions? SVMMom?</p>

<p>Does anyone know the width of the closet in Hecht or Stanford? 5 feet? 6 feet?</p>

<p>There are 2 towel rods on the wall next to the mirror to hang towels, above the chest.</p>

<p>The closet is large, at least 5 or 6 feet wide and normal depth with accordian door. (large enough to put a small refrigerator in the closet on the floor)</p>

<p>There are plug outlets above each desk, as well as by each bed, so 2 per student. We used extension cords, heavy duty, surge protectors. We also had a desk lamp and then a lamp by the bed to read in bed with. (we had one regular lamp and one clip on lamp) Did not use bed risers or bedskirts. </p>

<p>A personal printer in the room is handy for small jobs, but there is wireless printing on campus. Uprint. There is a computer room in each dorm plus the library and you download drivers onto your computer during orientation which allows you to send documents to the uprint system from anywhere. Each student gets 100.00 worth of credits (I think per semester, but not sure about that) , which allows for plenty of free printing because it is 5 cents per black ink page and 10cents for color. </p>

<p>Hope this helps.</p>

<p>Is there an outlet under the window? Thanks!</p>

<p>No outlet under the window.</p>