Pictures of a Freshmen Dorm Room

<p>Thank you SOOOOO much for the information on this room. I have been told that this assignment is only temporary and that I might be reassiged before I ever get to campus or, if not, most likely in the first few weeks. Did you stay in your room the entire freshmen year? Also, a few other questions: I ordered a bed loft, does this work with a x22 room? And is there also a locking drawer in the dresser or do I need to bring something to lock away my valuables when not in the room?</p>

<p>Sorry if this is a stupid question but what is a X22 room?</p>

<p>latestar: It depends on the loft. If the loft is a complete frame, yes, but I really recommend against lofting in a 22 simply because of the extra furniture.</p>

<p>X22, is X is a number. Your housing assignment looks something like:
Pentland 314</p>

<p>What this tells you is that you are in the Pentland tower of Hecht, on the third floor, in the “14th” room. Each floor is set up in exactly the same box fashion. The elevators and bathroom are in the center of the square and rooms line the perimeter. There are 2 staircases at opposite corners.
When you walk out of the elevators and face the hallway, you face directly to the “x22” room. Proceeding to the right, you start at x01, which is the RA’s room. Walking clockwise around the floor, numbers go up.</p>

<p>MODERATOR’S NOTE:</p>

<p>This is a reminder that links to photos, blogs, Facebook, videos, etc. are not allowed. Only links to authoritative websites are permitted. This is because moderators do not have time to click on every link to make sure the photo or whatever is legitimate.</p>

<p>I think the TV is mostly for xbox and gaming…,</p>

<p>What size tv do most students have?</p>

<p>Just one rod in the closet? We have a nice desk chair, a 3-globe pole lamp, a desk lamp & a wastebasket on our Bed, Bath order for pick up next week. Should we not bother with these items?</p>

<p>I would grab the desk lamp, but probably ditch the other 3. They provide a desk chair and a waste basket already.</p>

<p>Enough light in the room that a pole lamp is not needed? I had heard that due to the hurricane shutters the rooms are dark.</p>

<p>Finished loading D into Stanford-Walsh. Here are measurements (taken with a 12" ruler)</p>

<p>CLOSET
4’10" = hanging pole
5’4" = floor to bottom of rail<br>
1’4" - shelf above rail to ceiling
2’3.5" = depth (don’t remember if that was shelf, or to front of closet opening</p>

<p>NOTE: you can arrange to have maintenance remove the accordion doors, but they must be stored in your room (we think they’ll fit nicely under the storage cabinet, against the wall)</p>

<p>2’ = wall space between entrance doorway and one of the 2 closets</p>

<p>3.5" = depth of cement wall between closet and dresser</p>

<p>DESK
1’ 9.5" = front to back
3’10" = width from left to right
2’6" = height from floor to top of desk
2’ = height from floor to bottom of pencil drawer
1’6" = exterior width of the 3 drawer-section
2.5" = depth of top drawer of the 3 drawers
7" = depth of middle drawer
9.5" = depth of bottom drawer (ours did not have built in rails for hanging files)</p>

<p>16.5" x 43.5" = height and width of bulletin board above desk, below first bookshelf
11.5" = height between bookshelves
1.25" = thickness of each shelf (ie, they are thick)
8" = depth (front to back) of each shelf</p>

<p>NOTE: the shelf unit shelves are thick at 1.25" but we didn’t have trouble using a clamp on lamp (that can be angled towards desk, or towards dresser for putting on makeup). Our clamp fan also was able to easily clamp on, but not sure that we needed it at all.</p>

<p>DRESSER
2’5.5" = width from left to right
1’4.5" = depth from front to back
3’5" = height
4" = depth of top drawer (that has a lock)
6.5" = depth of drawer #2
8.5" = depth of drawer #3
9.5" = depth of drawer #4</p>

<p>NOTE: check under the dresser for pre=existing garbage; we found trash (which we expected) and an apple (which we didn’t expect)</p>

<p>TOWEL RAILS (by dresser)
15" = useable width of each of the 2 rails
1’5" = distance from top of dresser to bottom towel rail
2’10" = distance from top of dresser to top towel rail</p>

<p>MIRROR above dresser
20" wide
28" tall</p>

<p>STORAGE CABINET & WALL by the bed
12.25" = distance from back window wall, to the wall that juts into the room
12" = piece of wall that juts in the room
4’8" = wall between jutting out portion and desk
8.75" = shelf above storage cabinet</p>

<p>BED
if the top of the bed is about 2’6.5" high (using 7.5" risers, a 3" topper and duvet), then the top of the bed is roughly even with the weird couch backing and ledge. In other words, once you use risers, and a topper, it does not seem possible to use the storage cabinet for anything you need to access (especially if you put anything, such as a fridge, between the beds). I suppose you could stash stuff there that you might use for packing, such as a canvas duffle bag that’s squishable. The ledge, however, does make a nifty spot for tissues, bedside lamp, phone recharger, alarm clock, books, photos…</p>

<p>WINDOW
if you put something such as a fridge between the beds, under the window, it is unlikely you can put anything else there as well (even one of those narrow/slim storage drawer units would be tight)</p>

<p>WALL AT HEAD OF BED (on either side of window)
2’8" = side wall to odd vertical strip of wood
3" = odd vertical strip of wood running from floor to about 12" from ceiling
1/2" = depth of odd vertical strip of wood
10.5" = distance from vertical strip of wood to window
2’10.5" = width of window</p>

<p>I don’t have pictures, but if you have a loft bed and there are sharp parts you can hit your head on, I have a simple fix! Buy a pool noodle, slice it down the long side, slide the sharp edge in and tape it to your bed. We did this my freshman year after my mom banged her head on my bed while moving in. It sounds tacky, but it really didn’t look that bad. Tons of people commented on it and copied us :)</p>

<p>We also had a large piece of carpet to cover our tile floor. It was nice in that the floor was not so cold in the winter and we could lay on it and study. It was dubbed our “best piece of furniture.”</p>

<p>Just back from moving daughter into Hecht. Miami and the RA staff did an outstanding job. The dorm lobby was decorated great, with huge balloon bouquets, welcome signs, etc. It definitely got you excited to be there. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. They had huge rolling bins, so you could put lots of items in them. Refreshments readily available. They just did a phenomenal job, and the orientation schedule looks great. Also, we were very pleasantly surprised by her dorm room. She has a small single, and it was not small at all. It has 3 windows, was freshly painted, and mattress was new. We were told by one of the staff that she lucked out, as it was the largest small single and not typical. A great experience so far!</p>

<p>UPDATE on my post from the other day. When we tried to make the appointment to have the closet door removed, we were told that option is not possible. So I guess I got wrong info from the first time I called…</p>

<p>Maybe a silly question but I can’t see the link to your video. How do I access that?</p>

<p>The administrator of this site does not allow links to pictures and videos. I do not agree with this. Nothing we can do though. Too bad because the pictures and videos were really helpful to people.</p>

<p>If anyone wants the links to the pictures you could always PM me.</p>

<p>I’ve messaged CC admins several times over the last week about the current pic/video policy and they said:

</p>

<p>But they also stated in the email that we can create three different types of albums (with different levels of privacy) to share pictures, as explained in their Help section here:</p>

<p>[College</a> Confidential - FAQ: User Profile Features](<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/faq.php?faq=vb3_user_profile#faq_vb3_signatures_avatars]College”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/faq.php?faq=vb3_user_profile#faq_vb3_signatures_avatars) </p>

<p>but the link for creating an album gives me an error message so I wrote them again and was advised that if I am unable to create an album (no explanation was given for the missing link) then pictures should be uploaded to the trip report site where I already have pictures from our scholarship weekend trip. So, I am reposting the very helpful and completely appropriate :slight_smile: dorm room pictures (not sure if these are from Hecht or Stanford?) that SVMMom took here : </p>

<p>[University</a> of Miami - Videos, Photos, and Visit Reports](<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/vibe/university-of-miami/#]University”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/vibe/university-of-miami/#)</p>

<p>And the youtube video of a decorated room kimaples posted last year is here :</p>

<p>[University</a> of Miami Hecht dorm room - YouTube](<a href=“http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkU916kyZe4]University”>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkU916kyZe4)</p>

<p>Another update - ClassOf15Parent just PM’d me to say that she uploaded photos from their visit to the _ which seems to have bumped the dorm room photos off from view since apparently CC’s Vibe page (where they told me to upload photos) will only display the most recent 25 or so? </p>

<p>Zinc - it really seems that CC could use some website development help with all the info that I read about features we don’t actually seem to have and picture hosting pages that delete older photos from view as new ones are uploaded :stuck_out_tongue: Maybe some freelance work there for you?</p>

<p>So I can’t use that page since I’m certainly not going to go bump ClassOf15Parent’s pictures off, even though she generously suggested I do that! We need more than 25 pictures at a time for this whole thread - counting those from trip reports, etc. </p>

<p>The new link for SVMMom’s dorm room pictures is here, hopefully it will stay up :</p>

<p><a href=“https://picasaweb.google.com/108411225038842699948/SVMMomSPicsHechtDorm?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCOv8q6aqr5qjGg&feat=directlink[/url]”>https://picasaweb.google.com/108411225038842699948/SVMMomSPicsHechtDorm?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCOv8q6aqr5qjGg&feat=directlink&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Questions:<br>
I will be living in Hecht Hall - Freshman dorms. Anybody know what size the carpets can be at most to cover a big portion of the room??? Dont know what size to buy due to built in desks on either side of the room. Want to get one before getting to the dorms.</p>

<p>DO you get a ladder with the lofted beds?</p>

<p>Hi gggg75</p>

<p>I got your PM. I do not know the size and would measure the rug but it is in storage in Miami and I am in NJ. We bought ours from a truck on campus after we got there. That allowed us to measure the room and for both roommates to agree on a style of rug. The price was reasonable. </p>

<p>The lofts come with a ladder, no worries there!</p>

<p>I also went back and made a few comments on the pictures in the link. If anyone has questions, let me know!</p>

<p>Go Canes!</p>