Pitt Nursing Wait List?

I absolutely LOVE University of Pittsburgh and really want to be in their nursing program. I just got a letter from them saying I was put on the wait list for fall 2015 admission in the nursing program. I’m not one of those people who are in a ball crying their eyes out in the corner because they didn’t get into the school they wanted, and I’m happy because at least this isn’t a rejection. However, I wanted to ask if anyone knew what the chances of getting a spot off the wait list is?

I don’t know the answer. However, even if you had wait list data from last year, it might be different this year. Colleges vary their admissions each year depending upon variations in their yield rate. For example, one year, more students than expected accepted offers of admission, so the following year, they cut back on offers and rely more on wait lists.

In any case, make sure Pitt continues to know you are very interested. Make sure they get upgraded grades or test scores that would help your case. However, in the meantime, assume you are going to a different school, and prepare for that school - including putting down a deposit when needed. If the wait list comes through, think of it as a bonus, not something you expect.