Placement Test given at Bama Bound

<p>I know that Math and Foreign Language placement tests are available for students during Bama Bound. Are there any other tests beside those? Also if a student tests well in any subject, are they given credit for a course?
Thanks!</p>

<p>There are Foreign Language placement tests. </p>

<p>If you score well, you’re not given credits at that point, BUT…if you take the recommended level and get at least a C, then you’re also given the credits below.</p>

<p>So, if you take the Spanish placement, and you’re placed into Spanish 3XX, then if you get at least a C, then you’ll also be given credits for Spanish 103, 201, and 202.</p>

<p>If you get placed into 3XX, but prefer going to 201, then if you complete, you’ll still get the 103 credits.</p>

<p>However, you can bypass this by taking a CLEP test instead.</p>

<p>Do you have to register to take the Spanish placement test?</p>

<p>^^
I don’t think so. I think you just show up. </p>

<p>You could contact them and ask, but I doubt you register ahead of time.
<a href=“mailto:testing.services@ua.edu”>testing.services@ua.edu</a>
205.348.6760</p>

<p>And there’s also a CS placement for those who want to bypass a certain class.</p>

<p>[Placement</a> Assessments - Bama Bound Orientation - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://orientation.ua.edu/details/placement.html]Placement”>http://orientation.ua.edu/details/placement.html)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>From what I understand, any credit given for ‘under’ classes after successfully completing the class a student is placed into (for foreign language) is not counted against the 45 credit AP/CLEP limit. However, credits granted through CLEP are counted against this limit. </p>

<p>We’ve thought it through and it seems that if you are concerned about maximizing your AP credits and you have more than 45, you may want to go the placement test route IF your student wants/needs to actually take the foreign language class assigned. But if they do not need more than two or four semesters of FL, they would be able to obtain that through the CLEP (assuming they score high enough) and be done with it. But those 8 or 14 hours would count toward the 45 credit limit. As a reminder, the most a student can get from the AP FL exam is 3 credits (which, of course, cannot be combined with CLEP or placement). </p>

<p>M2CK, are we thinking along the right lines?</p>

<p>Thanks for the link.</p>

<p>*From what I understand, any credit given for ‘under’ classes after successfully completing the class a student is placed into (for foreign language) is not counted against the 45 credit AP/CLEP limit. However, credits granted through CLEP are counted against this limit. *</p>

<p>Right. </p>

<p>As an aside…I hope Momreads posts to say how her son’s 60 credits were handled when he came into Bama.</p>

<p>BTW…unless you’re a history major/minor, many AP kids will come in with excessive history AP credits, so not having all those count isn’t really an issue. But, I do think the credits sit on the transcript.</p>