Placement tests

<p>when you send a transcript, the whole thing is considered. i am pretty sure the B will transfer whether you want it or not.</p>

<p>you can choose to retake classes that you have AP credit for, if you want. often they advise you not to, but in our experience, retaking was not needed.</p>

<p>randomparent: My son’s transcript has a spot on it with “maximum number of credits exceeded”. It list four APs (physics B and chemistry) and BC calculus that are counted as elective-type credit. (With his AP bio and AB calculus, he satisfied the natural sciences requirement.) He never had to petition the school. Those additional credits are on his transcript – and that figures into the credit totals that he has.</p>

<p>ldinct: Your son does receive credit for English 101 and 102, based on his 5 on the AP test.</p>

<p>Thanks momreads! Do you know if they are counting all those 65 credits toward the total required for graduation. For example, if 120 hrs are required for graduation, will your son be able to graduate after earning just 55 more hrs from additional classes?</p>

<p>randomparent: My son could have graduated after earning the additional 55 hours, but he was not interested in an early exit. Instead, he has been using his time wisely – chossing to be a triple major, a CBHP minor, doing research, study abroad, SGA, community service, joining a fraternity. And of course, watching some great football.</p>

<p>Thanks again momreads. Sounds like you son made some great choices, and its good to know that the option is there for a very early exit if one has enough AP/IB/CLEP credit.</p>

<p>Another thing to consider: students coming in with larger numbers of AP/IB/CLEP/dual enrollment credits are usually also the group who have scored high enough on standardized testing to qualify for one of the automatic scholarships. UA says that these scholarships are for 4 years (8 semesters.) They’re not just until you get 120 credits. Especially for the NMF & Presidential Scholarship kids, it’s not really costing that much to stay and take advantage of the 8 semesters of scholarship. That’s why you’ll see a lot of kids on this board double and triple majoring, or taking advantage of University Scholars to work on their masters degrees early.</p>

<p>Cr*p on the sending of the transcript then, considering he was getting credit for 101&102 anyway with the AP. Maybe it will get lost. So even if he doesn’t use the class he is still stuck with the B, too bad. Oh well.</p>

<p>I took pre-calculus this year and will finish with a B+ or A-, and I took the placement test and got put into pre-calculus…here’s hoping it goes better when I retake it at Bama Bound.</p>

<p>SO do you have to take the math placement before Bama Bound? D is going to have accommodations and I don’t know how we would do that at home online since one of her accommodations is extended time.</p>

<p>You do not have to take the math placement test before Bama Bound. You can take the test at Bama Bound.</p>

<p>*its good to know that the option is there for a very early exit if one has enough AP/IB/CLEP credit. *</p>

<p>Unless money is an issue, I wouldn’t recommend an early exit. If you have a scholarship, it’s a good idea to apply for University Scholars and do some grad school classes. <a href=“http://graduate.ua.edu/info/scholarsprog.pdf[/url]”>http://graduate.ua.edu/info/scholarsprog.pdf&lt;/a&gt; Have your child talk to his major advisor about participating in this. </p>

<p>My older son graduated this semester. He had enough credits to graduate a long time ago. However, he was able to do 2 minors, take extra classes in his major, and take some “fun” classes. I think that the fact that he took extra classes in his major made him an attractive candidate when he applied to PhD programs.</p>