Please Chance a Senior for the UC System

<p>Here is goes…</p>

<p>My Stats:</p>

<p>Iranian Male
Weighted GPA 10-11 Grade: 3.67
SAT I: 1820
SAT IIs: Bio M: 570 and US history 540. <— Very very low
ACT: Not Taken Yet</p>

<p>I realize there is nothing I can do about my GPA, I know I screwed up big time. A few Homework assignments here and there and I could have easily been sitting at a 4.0 GPA. Whats done is done, and I have learned from these mistakes. If I want to have any chance at the UC’s I know I need to improve on my SAT(s). I am taking the SAT I in October and retaking the SAT IIs in November…these two tests are realistically my last opportunity to improve my chances as a candidate. </p>

<p>EC’s + Awards + Leadership:</p>

<p>secretary treasurer for the tock Market Analysis Club - 3 years
School Volleyball - 3 years
Club Volleyball - 1 Season
Model UN Captain
National Honors Society
Helth Occupation Students of America
Summer Bio Technology Camp
Completion of the Health Sciences Career Pathway at my High School
Youth Action Council Volunteer (Various activities/projects around the Bay Area aimed at helping the poor and underprivileged)</p>

<p>I have also organized study groups and personally tutored a good friend through the last three years of high school…I can comfortably say I have dedicated more than 150 hours to helping this student. The one problem with this is it was not done through some organization, so how exactly would I prove this to UC?
I am a contributing writer/editor for ivwriting.com…this is a student founded and run social networking website designed to express peoples opinions, thoughts, beliefs regarding a certain issue at our high school and community. </p>

<p>I am a contributing writer/editor for ivwriting.com…this is a student founded and run social networking website designed to express peoples opinions, thoughts, beliefs regarding a certain issue at our high school and community. </p>

<p>NCS Scholar Athlete Award
Volleyball Coach’s Award
Academic Achievement Award (11th Grade)
Most Improved Student Award (9th Grade)
Outstanding Achievement Award from the Bio-Tech Camp </p>

<p>I hold the title of “Manager” as the store I work at…I consider this a position with a big leadership role.
1 year of leadership at my high school</p>

<p>I have taken three college courses at my local community college (General Psychology, Nutrition, and Bio 101)</p>

<p>My summer project includes starting up a Charity with Micro-financing by incorporating the school’s Stock Market cub. This is a large project, my friend and I have spent hours on end filing paperwork with the state. Our goal is to produce a self-sufficient charity which could help finance the goals of small business entrepreneurs in developing countries.
I am also going to be a basketball coach for 7th and 8th graders this fall through the city I live in. I was a member of this basketball program throughout middle school, and I cant wait to get back onto the court as a coach. </p>

<p>I am looking at majoring in Bioengineering and Health sciences, my ultimate goal is to enter the medical field. I know my GPA is the biggest setback in the admissions process. Is there anything else I could do to lessen the blow for an admissions officer? The UC system is one of the few options I have, the JC route is not an option, and most of the CSUs do not provide the same quality research and internship opportunities as the UC system. Judging from the info provided, which UC’s are a reality at this point? Are there any schools you could recommend that may fit my profile? Thank you for all of your help. </p>

<p>Esentially, Which UC is going to accept me? Thank you.</p>

<p>anyone…thanks for the help.</p>

<p>Your ECs are pretty good (especially the managing position), I would say you have a good chance for Merced, Riverside and Santa Cruz. If you retake the SATs or do well on the ACT you have an okay chance for Santa Barbara and Davis. Maybe Irvine.</p>

<p>My first realistic choice is UCSC…I am really worried my GPA is going to hold me back. If I can get 1900+ on the SAT, raise my SAT IIs to 650+ what are my chances at UCSC?</p>

<p>I say good chance. I know lots of people going there. </p>

<p>I know you said you don’t want to go to a CSU, but you still should apply. Cal Poly SLO is a top school for engineering (don’t know about bioengineering), and SDSU, Chico and CSULB are the other top CSUs. I think you would be definitely in at LB and Chico.</p>

<p>I know a girl going to UCSC with only a 1680. With that said, you’re still going to want to raise your SAT score because she had a ton of Girl Scouts involvement, but other than that I think UCSC is definitely realistic.</p>

<p>I really like Cal Poly SLO, they have a good biomedical engineering program…its just I feel the UC system gives me more opportunities in research and internships. I feel like I have a good shot at UCSC, but I don’t want to leave anything to chance. Thank you for all of your help…anyone else have any tips or opinions? Should I be looking to do anything else besides raise my SAT Scores?</p>

<p>The obvious best choice here would be UCSD for bioengineering. Unfortunately, the competition is extremely fierce (especially since bioeng is impacted) and I sadly have to say you might not have the stats for it. But your ECs are fairly impressive. And I’ve certainly known people with low stats to get in (not really sure why). The point is, try everything, and try to raise your SAT as high as possible. SLO is a good option as well.</p>

<p>I’m going to say that you’re probably going to get into SC, R, and M (although I’m less sure about SC. Their acceptance rates have been dropping a lot lately), and you have a decent chance at SB and UCI. I can make no promises about Davis, because they make the most random decisions ever. One of my friends got in with 3 Ds junior year, while another had a high SAT, high GPA, and was the #1 Math department award recipient, and he got rejected. It just mind boggles me.</p>

<p>Just shows you how little our predictions will really matter in the end. lol.</p>

<p>Thank you everyone for all of your help.</p>

<p>To be honest, Cal SLO acceptance is really strange. I know a friend who had a 21-ish ACT score and a GPA thats worse than yours and got in for engineering.</p>

<p>Thanks HelloAll…that gives me some hope!</p>

<p>I think just apply all UCs and just hope for the best :). I’ve hear the most random people get into some UCs(UCB, UCLA, UCSD) that i didn’t think they would get in. UCSC isnt exactly the hardest UC to get in, but I do know there is a guaranteed transfer program from UCSC to UCB from engineering(I think it was civil but I dont remember). UCR also has a transfer program to UCLA for something Bio related. Sorry I’m not that knowledgable about these transfer program since I’m just gonna apply to all and think about transfers if I dont get into the schools I want</p>