Please chance an out of state student for mechanical engineering at Texas A&M

<p>Hi everyone, I'm an incoming senior at a public high school in the northwest Chicago suburbs. My stats are as follows:</p>

<p>Gpa: 4.0 unweighted
Class rank: Either top 1% to 2% (Last terms grades aren't in the ranking system yet)
Act: 31 composite (32 English, 36 Math, 25 Reading, 31 Science)
APs: AP Calculus AB (5) AP Computer Science A (4)
Senior Course load: Calculus 2 at local community college, AP Physics B, AP Psychology, Honors English, Honors Spanish 4, Accounting 1 (needed to fulfill graduation requirement)
Intended major: either mechanical or aerospace engineering
State of residence: Illinois
Extracurriculars: Varsity Baseball two years, President of 3 religious youth organizations, attended a selective leadership training course for athletics at my school, ran a community event website and Facebook page
Ethnicity: White</p>

<p>My real question is do you think that I have a good shot at being accepted to mechanical or aerospace engineering at Texas A&M University. I appreciate all responses. If you need more information to chance me please ask.</p>

<p>Your class rank is great. Your ACT is pretty good too and the math score will really help. The issue is being out of state. You can just through your application in and hope for the best. Out of state applicants have a harder path to a state school then in-state applicants.</p>

<p>Apply as early as you can to help a little more.</p>

<p>Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply. I do understand that it is tough to get into out of state public schools (especially in Texas haha)</p>

<p>Out of state applicants are eligible for academic admission (mine are both OOS). You qualify for an academic admit <a href=“http://admissions.tamu.edu/freshman/admitted”>http://admissions.tamu.edu/freshman/admitted&lt;/a&gt;. You need to apply early to get the engineering major. By early, there are many who actually push submit on August 1st but your comfort level of how long to wait is up to you. You are guaranteed admission to the university but not to your major, engineering is filled to 85% with academic & auto admits(top 10% TX) on a rolling admissions basis then remaining applicants compete for the last 15% on a holistic basis. Last year it filled early, and not all the academic/auto admits were admitted to engineering. Your decision as to when to submit an application determines your chances at this point. There is no guaranteed date, you just have to decide for yourself how quick you can/want to get your application submitted. (FYI in the past 4 years, the date to submit & be admitted has continually been earlier & earlier – this is a well known fact in TX and this school has roughly 94% TX residents) No one knows what the magical cutoff date for rolling admissions into engineering will be, so just apply as early as you can manage.</p>

<p>They now have a general engineering major that everyone starts in, then you apply to your specific major (mechanical or aerospace) after taking some courses. This fall will be the first group of freshman to enter engineering majors with this method. Good luck!</p>

<p>Wow that’s good to know. Thanks for the great information!</p>

<p>I agree with AGmomx2. Submit your application on August 1 for best chances in mechanical engineering. August 26 was too late for my son who also applied for mechanical engineering. I don’t remember exactly how many applications they get on Aug 1, but I think it’s around 100.</p>

<p>Mechanical is one of the most popular engineering majors at Texas A&M, if not the most popular. Apply as early as possible to give yourself the greatest chance of getting in. Make sure you put 1. Mechanical 2. Aerospace
for major choices, or whichever your preference is. I would recommend Mechanical because it is even harder to get into Mechanical after you get here, easier to change your mind and transfer into Aero than vice versa.</p>

<p>And admission wise, my roommate had similar stats from you and he was out of state as well and he got into Mechanical, just apply as early as possible.</p>