Please please, chance me? Thank you!

<p>Hi everyone :)
Well I'm kind of stuck between UM and UF. In your opinion which one is better for a pre-med major (I want to be a doctor)? I know that UM has the Miller School of Medicine and everything, but it might be harder for me to get into it. Also the environment, I think I'd like a more peaceful college town-but then it's such a big school and that's a disadvantage. </p>

<p>Anyway:
I don't have much, especially EC's, I just don't have the time and i'm trying to focus on academics. Plus, i'm not really into sports.</p>

<p>Hispanic, born in another country but i'm a citizen.
bilingual, hopefully (tri)lingual by next year.
3.79 Unweighted GPA -> by next year I can get it up! hopefully graduate w/ 3.9?
4.6 weighted
500 service hours which will continue to increase.
NHS -> too typical but I'm in it.
SHS--> spanish honor society
AP SPAN LANG - 5 on AP test
AP SPAN LIT - taking this year
AP ENG LANG- taking this year
all honors except french II class
Taking two Dual Enrollment classes, B for 1st class.
ranked (at this moment, it's gotten better each semester) 9th out of 422.
SAT II (Span w/ list): 730 :( I did so bad in this because I got really nervous I guess and couldn't concentrate. but it's decent. </p>

<p>next year i will take:
AP ENG LIT
AP PSYCHOLOGY
AP FRENCH (?) I'll try to see if I can get it, if not another AP. </p>

<p>SAT: This is by far my worst part. I'm trying to practice as much as I can without my GPA suffering, but it's difficult.</p>

<p>I'm taking the SAT Mar 10th.</p>

<p>PSAT: 10th --> 131 (39 M, 47 CR, 45 WR) first time ever taking it, guess almost the whole thing. </p>

<p>PSAT 11th--> 156 (46 M, 55 CR, 55 WR) didn't really study much but just my classes helped i'm guessing. </p>

<p>My goal would be at least a 1800, maybe not in my first try...
I know that in the upcoming SAT i'll get at least a 1600 because I made dumb mistakes. </p>

<p>THANK YOU SO MUCH to whoever helps me out. :)</p>

<p>Chance me for?
- UM
- UF</p>

<p>Ranking in the top 3% of your class should count for a lot. Many students score lower on the PSAT than the SAT, but you should try to score as close the middle 50% range on the SAT.</p>

<p>You could study with the most challenging SAT Prep Books or even share a tutor’s time with a few friends if you need to keep costs down. A tutor is able to challenge you appropriately while focusing on your weaknesses.</p>

<p>Consider taking the ACT which focuses on knowledge learned in the classroom rather than the SAT which focuses on the reasoning skills learned through your coursework.</p>

<p>Thank you, I appreciate your response :slight_smile: So would you say a 1800 is enough for UM?</p>

<p>A good mimimum goal for your SAT would be 1200 (CR and Math only - UM does not look at the writing score). I’ve seen people accepted with scores in the 1100’s and there are even a few with lower scores than 1100 according to the CDS (common data set). </p>

<p>Refer to this thread - there are some links in there you could look at: <a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-miami-florida/1281619-repost-chances.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-miami-florida/1281619-repost-chances.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I would take the ACT, take as many AP courses as you can, but try to keep your rank in class as high as possible. Class rank and rigor of schedule seem to be very important to the admissions folks - especially if you need a merit scholarship.</p>

<p>If you can manage a visit to UM and meet with admissions folks and professors from the school you are interested in - those things help to show interest in the college - also applying EA seems to be beneficial in terms of rate of acceptance.</p>

<p>Not sure if I understand your comments about the * “more peaceful college town-but then it’s such a big school” * - if those pertain to UM or UF. UM is in Coral Gables and except for the traffic on US1, it’s pretty peaceful. I also don’t think UM is particularly big school? Maybe you were talking about UF?</p>

<p>I cannot help chance you with UF - you should also post on their threads within CC if you haven’t already.
Hope this helps.
~Zinc</p>

<p>Thanks Zinc! Yeah I was talking about UF being a big and quiet college town. Miami’s different. But thanks for the stats, just need to keep studying :)</p>

<p>As a School Counselor, many students score better on the SAT than the PSAT having studied, knowing the format, and knowing the types of questions. Even so, UM is really competitive so do your best without compromising other parts of your application.</p>

<p>Many SAT classes focus on timed exams every few sessions showing that familiarity with the test and your endurance through the test is important.</p>