Potential Nursing School Applicant

<p>Hi,
I'm currently a junior in high school and hope to get into the nursing field. This April I plan on visiting the following schools and was wondering if i have any potential chance to get in. My current gpa is 88/100, i have two varsity sports, no APs yet but next year will be in ap euro and lit. I got accepted into a summer internship at westchester medical center (summer 2011), I currently volunteer after school and am spending a week in the summer building houses so my community service hours will be high. I've always had good relationships with my teachers and know I can get solid recs.
1) quinnipiac
2) university rhode island
3) endicott
4) northeastern
5) umass boston/amherst
6) BC
7) drexel
* i have yet to take the SATs however my practice tests have been in the high 1800s and low 1900s</p>

<p>Other people have written on this board that apparently Drexel will not let you graduate until they are convinced you will pass the RN exam on your first try. That is how they keep their unusually high pass rate.</p>

<p>You have a very good list but make sure you include at least one financial safety. If you’re in NY, that would be a SUNY although they can be very hard to get into (esp. Binghamton).</p>

<p>^I’ve found that SUNY schools are very hard into and don’t belong on anyone’s list as a financial safety, mostly because if a school would be a financial safety, it should also be a school you can get into. If you are in Rhode Island, I’m afraid I don’t know many nursing schools there, but I do know quite a few people who attended Adelphi (in NY) and came out all right. Quinnipiac is a bit of a reach, but if you nail your essay, you’ll have a decent shot.</p>

<p>Are all the SUNY schools hard to get into? What about Plattsburgh? I think the OP may be instate for NY and that’s why I mentioned it.</p>

<p>yup i’m in NY and am also looking at SUNY Brockport and Stony Brook. Some of the SUNYs have become increasingly competitive however I think these two are possible options for me.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>No, all of them aren’t. If you’re talking about the bigger universities (Stony Brook, Downstate, Binghampton), then yes, they’re rather hard to get into. However, nursing programs in general have fairly competitive admission, so I don’t know if the overall competitiveness of admission paints an adequate picture.</p>

<p>I know that SUNY Buffalo’s nursing program underwent big changes last year. They eliminated their nursing guarantee for freshmen, and announced an over-enrollment of nursing students. There was an article in the school’s newspaper that reported that nursing students were unable to get required classes. The article reported that many students were desperately trying to apply to other nursing programs after the school sent out letters that their guarantee would not be honored (UB switched to competitive admissions for its 2+2 program, at the same time that it announced the over-enrollment). Combined with a move of the school to new facilities, my UB student warned D away. The school’s 2020 plan looks great for its medical sciences programs as they develop the downtown medical campus and complete the new School of Pharmacy building, but right now I’d be cautious.</p>