Pre-College Creative Writing

My daughter is very interested in the Emerson Pre-College creative Writing Program. Can anyone tell me how competitive admissions is? How likely it is a rising Sophomore (current Freshman) would be admitted? She is working on her portfolio material now. She has top grades in Honors (but only 1 semester worth by application time). Her teacher recs will be excellent. She has spent the last 2 summers writing at JHU-CTY camps, so it’s pretty clear where her passion lies.

bump

i attended the program the summer after sophomore year (it was absolutely awesome, i’m actually hoping to attend Emerson next year!) i definitely think your daughter to get in, there were a few rising sophomores when i went, and even a lot of students who didn’t even have the best grades in school. the common thread for everyone was a passion for writing, so as long as your daughter shows that in her application, i think she’s good to go! the program was the best 5 weeks of my life so i hope she’ll love it too!

Your daughter has a good chance of getting in, but she might want to hold off. Most of the people in the program when I went were rising seniors (only a few rising juniors, no rising sophomores that I knew of). As long as her application’s essays are good, she should be fine!

Hi I just got in (I’m a rising junior), and I’d love to connect if she ends up getting in and going!!!

She decided to wait on Emerson (the schedule didn’t really work anyway) and is going to do the Loyola Marymount screenwriting program this summer.

Sorry, you remembered the portfolio, I am also a beginner student, and I wonder what kind of portfolio is needed and what should be in it? Should it be beginners in writing?