Precalculus to Satisfy Algebra II Requirement

Incoming senior who failed second semester Algebra 2, but I passed both semesters of pre-calculus the following year. Are there universities that would accept my precalculus course to fulfill the Algebra 2 requirement for admission?

GPA: 3.3UW/3.6W

Interested majors: HCI, cognitive science, linguistics, statistics, economics

Interested schools: UCF, University of Florida, Univ of Arizona, Arizona State, UT Austin, UIUC, USC, CMU, Stanford, UCs and CSUs, Indiana-Bloomington

You should contact the schools and ask if you meet their minimums.

That said much of your list is beyond attainable.

Do you have an SAT/act score? You will need it for the first two on your list.

Why haven’t you retaken the class ?

1 Like

You’ll need to check with each school you are interested in to see if they’ll accept the pre-calculus in lieu of algebra 2. I think you need a revised list of colleges as many you mentioned are out of reach for students with your gpa. Fortunately there are lots of schools out there that would like to have you. If you share your preferences in terms of size, location and vibe I’m sure folks on cc can make some recommendations.

UCs and CSUs allow passing precalculus to validate a deficient grade (D or F) in algebra 2. See page 2 of https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/counselors/_files/documents/csu-uc-a-g-comparison-matrix.pdf

However, that does not mean that you are likely to be admitted to the more selective ones.

Arizona public universities do not specify that passing precalculus fulfills lower level math, but a 570 SAT math or 24 ACT math can be used to fulfill the math subject requirement. See ABOR Course Competencies | Admissions | University of Arizona and https://admission.asu.edu/apply/first-year/competency-requirements

2 Likes

I’m currently retaking a remedial, high-school Algebra 2 course through my school district, along with my current senior schedule.

What does ‘remedial’ mean in the context of this class? Is it the same class that you took in HS? Will it or replace or remove the F from you HS transcript?

As for your school list, I agree with others that some of those schools are unattainable. If you share your HS courses, rigor (proportion of honors/APs, class rank, number core subject courses), budget, and desired characteristics in a college, posters can better suggest schools. Do you have a test score(s)?

Have you taken the SAT/ACT? You can’t apply to UCF/UF without

1 Like

There will be a lot of algebra in statistics.

I was a math major. As a graduate student I took one single course that was not a math course. It was econometrics. There is a lot of math, and specifically a lot of linear algebra (ie, matrices) in econometrics. I still remember taking a couple of Saturday’s to review linear algebra in order to fully understand econometrics and to be able to handle the class, and this was as a math major.

My recommendation would be to put a lot of effort into the class while you are retaking algebra 2. You might want to consider getting a tutor also or asking the teacher for extra help. You want to make sure that you fully understand the concepts.

With regard to precalculus, there is a big difference between “passing” and “mastering”. In my experience people who are very strong in precalculus tend to find calculus straightforward. I have heard that people who have struggled in precalculus can find calculus to be very tough. Precalculus is an area where being very solid can help you in the future (assuming that you will need to take calculus at some point).

Classes at Stanford go very quickly. CMU is also an academically demanding university. I am not sure whether I would apply to either with a 3.3 GPA. The same might be said for U.Florida and UIUC. You should make sure that you have a couple of solid safeties.

2 Likes

Choose your major and school very carefully. Here is why

Back years ago I was Math major at GaTech and TA. I was helping many students from different majors quite successfully from Calc to Differential equations and above. However, once I felt powerless
 For help came a sweet girl - 4th-year Business Major. She failed Math for Business major (I do not remember the exact name of the course but it was not Math for Engineers!!!) - 3 times. I tried my best, but I have a feeling that she failed 4th time. It was the last class she needed for graduation and she could not pass it! I have no idea how she ended up at GaTech
 However, she was missing some fundamental knowledge, so it was impossible to help her without reteaching the whole Algebra and elementary math. I was just praying that the teacher would take pity and give her a D so that she could graduate
 I felt GaTech failed by accepting her
 I am not sure how good or bad she was for her major, but I could not help.
I would suggest to stay away from a major in Statistics. That one requires a lot of advanced Math

2 Likes

As noted by @ucbalumnus that the California UC’s and CSU’s will allow your Pre-calculus course to validate the failed Algebra2 course but unless you retake the exact same Algebra2 course, those F’s will be reported on the UC and CSU applications and will be used in the UC/CSU GPA calculation for admission if taken the summer after 9th through the summer prior to 12th.

Also note if not a CA resident, you need a minimum UC capped weighted GPA of 3.4 to be eligible to apply. CSU GPA for OOS applicants is lower at 3.0.

UC GPA calculator: GPA Calculator for the University of California – RogerHub

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.