Presidential Scholarship applicant questions

<p>1) Is there any real advantage of getting the UA application done now vs. waiting until DD takes her last round of SAT/ACT? She already qualifies for the Presidential Scholarship based upon her current attained scores.</p>

<p>2) How quickly in the year do the Honors Dorms fill up with students who have already committed to Alabama? </p>

<p>3) If DD gets an outside scholarship that covers 100% tuition and can only be used for tuition only, can the Presidential Scholarship be applied toward Room and Board?</p>

<p>4) If, in addition to the President’s Scholarship, additional outside scholarships are earned to the point where there are funds left over after tuition/fees/room and board are covered, is the additional amount forfeited or can it be dispersed to pay for books or travel costs (airfare) to/from school for winter/spring breaks or other miscellaneous expenses?</p>

<p>1) Is there any real advantage of getting the UA application done now vs. waiting until DD takes her last round of SAT/ACT? She already qualifies for the Presidential Scholarship based upon her current attained scores.</p>

<p>---- the advantage is getting it out of the way. You can always send any new/higher scores later if applicable.</p>

<p>2) How quickly in the year do the Honors Dorms fill up with students who have already committed to Alabama? </p>

<p>----------- The issue isn’t just “filling up”, the issue is getting into a desired suite with chosen roomies or with other frosh (instead of upperclassmen). Some people wait til after New Year to deposit, and then when it comes time to pick a suite, they want to room with certain students or they want to only room with frosh. </p>

<p>3) If DD gets an outside scholarship that covers 100% tuition and can only be used for tuition only, can the Presidential Scholarship be applied toward Room and Board?</p>

<p>------- Yes, the Bama scholarship is not only for tuition. You can use it for R&B.</p>

<p>4) If, in addition to the President’s Scholarship, additional outside scholarships are earned to the point where there are funds left over after tuition/fees/room and board are covered, is the additional amount forfeited or can it be dispersed to pay for books or travel costs (airfare) to/from school for winter/spring breaks or other miscellaneous expenses?</p>

<p>Yes…books and travel costs are part of COA. Personal expenses are, too. </p>

<p>You don’t forfeit any merit. You get it all.</p>

<p>Those are great questions … and great information! Thanks to both of you!!</p>

<p>Once accepted with Presidential, what other types of UA scholarships are available? I’ve seen mention of the University Fellows Experience scholarship - is the $8,500 above the Presidential amount? Is there a scholarship related to CBHP? Any other special programs? </p>

<p>Thanks!!</p>

<p>OP mentioned outside scholarships (i.e., outside of UA) such as the ones you would get thru your HS, your community, companies, scholarship websites, etc. </p>

<p>There are limited UA dept-al and Honors College scholarships, but these are usually reserved for those students who do not get full-tuition scholarships already. </p>

<p>I’ll let others post about Fellows and CBHP scholarship questions.</p>

<p>I’ve seen mention of the University Fellows Experience scholarship - is the $8,500 above the Presidential amount? Is there a scholarship related to CBHP? A</p>

<p>The AE scholarship is:</p>

<p>Academic Elite Scholarship recipients typically receive:</p>

<p>$8,500 per year for 4 years
The value of tuition in-state or out-of-state for 4 years
iPad</p>

<p>As for CBH. There isn’t a set award. In the past, the CBH members who didn’t make NMF, sometimes get a small award. Nothing is definite though. It may vary with yearly budgets.</p>

<p>Thanks mom2collegekids. Regarding the Honors suites, if a student doesn’t care about rooming with anybody in particular, when might it still be okay to get the acceptance housing deposit in and get in before they fill up? I’ve seen posts here about Honors students not being able to get into honors house because they committed too late. I understand that UA requires you to accept the admissions offer in order to put in a deposit for housing. At this point UA is our highest ranked financial safety schools, but we realistically will not know about other colleges until 4/1/14.</p>

<p>Slight clarification for OP: this year there were kids placed solo in non -honors dorms, despite having no roommate specific requests. Housing does not let you specify freshman-only roommates when going “random” after January 1st commitment of enrollment and housing deposit – their answer to me was that they would entertain a change request after move-in, but in the end, my daughter was lucky in her placement. This issue has been well-covered in other threads if you search. Perhaps when Presidential 2 is complete, honors housing will again be open to more kids who want it.</p>

<p>Once admitted, submit an acceptance and housing deposit as soon as possible. Part is refundable, so if you choose to attend a different school, I think you would forfeit $250. Meanwhile, if you do choose to attend, you will have locked in an early deposit. Housing selection is based on when you submit that deposit. If you do it early, you should have plenty of good options when it comes time to actually choose your room. So, bottom line, if you’re going to apply, do it early and deposit early. Worst case, you choose to attend a different school and lose a little money.</p>

<p>but we realistically will not know about other colleges until 4/1/14.</p>

<p>If you wait that late, then I don’t think you can be assured of an honors dorm. So, if you’re going to have to deposit before “knowing,” you may as well deposit early.</p>

<p>Is Presidential 2 going to be honors or non-honors?</p>

<p>beadymom, I think the Academic Elite is only given to a few of the Fellows. It is not automatically awarded to everyone in the program.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>True…I should have made that more clear. </p>

<p>Of the 30+ UFE selected, only about 8 get the AE award.</p>

<p>frankly, I think the AE award is nuts. I think all the money should just be divided amongst all the UFE members. The idea that a few would get this big award is just demoralizing when ALL are doing the same work…AND…it’s very possible that the best leaders that emerge won’t be one with that AE award…how cray cray would that be???</p>

<p>I think maybe they should give the AE a year after the Fellows have been in the program - make it even more competitive, and then those who want it (and deserve it) will be very clear, indeed.</p>

<p>DD got her Presidential Scholarship notification letter today! It’s great starting this whole application period knowing that she has this in her back pocket. I’m looking forward to our visit to UA campus in a few weeks.</p>