Presidential Scholarship 'full tuition'?

The Presidential says it covers full tuition up to ~$25K per year, but it seems like tuition with out-of-state included is ~$35, so does that mean the presidential really only covers ~ 3 years, or am I missing something?

Presidential covers 8 semesters – full tuition. It’s wonderful! My son is OOS and has this scholarship, and we are very thankful! (If you are seeing $35-38K somewhere, that would include course fees, housing, and meal plan.)

This is taken directly from UA’s FAQ on the Financial Aid website, so I’m not sure what you’re missing…looks like you’re NOT missing ~$10k! http://financialaid.ua.edu/faq/index.html Do not be confused where elsewhere it appears to ‘additional’ or ‘other’ costs for credit hours 1-11…that is not in addition to your OOS tuition of 12-18 hours. :wink:

How much will school cost?

All students are encouraged to utilize the Net Price Calculator for more detailed information. The table below shows in-state and out-of-state tuition and fees for the 2014-2015 academic year:
In-State Description Out-of-State
Direct Cost Direct Cost
$10,626 Tuition and Fees $25,750
$12,716 Room and Board $12,716
$23,342 Total Direct Cost $38,466
Indirect Cost Indirect Cost
$1,200 Books $1,200
$1,272 Transportation $1,722
$2,191 Miscellaneous $2,147
$70 Loan Fees $70
$4,733 Total Indirect Cost $5,139
$28,075 TOTAL (Direct + Indirect) $43,605

Amounts shown above reflect the 2014-2015 estimated costs for a full time dependent undergraduate student. For current information, visit cost.ua.edu.

I see, I was adding OOS tuition to in-state since that’s how most schools show it, thank you

^^^Are you from Calif? Calif schools do this, but most schools don’t.

Yes in fact we are. Do you happen to know if one semester of the presidential scholarship could be used for study abroad? thanks

Short answer- yes.

Take a look at http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1734637-using-scholarship-vs-self-pay-for-summer.html for a more complete discussion on this topic.

@TerryB15‌

Yes, it can. Will your child be graduating early?

I think its possible given all the AP credits, thanks for all your quick responses!

Just check thoroughly…Depending on the major and AP credits, some of those credits may end up being “extras”. For instance, my kids had a lot of extra history AP credits.

What will your child’s major be?

@mom2collegekids, I’m curious about this as well. My son is a high school junior who is about 20 points shy of the Presidential on the SAT. He’s hoping to make the cutoff level on the ACT. In any event, he will be majoring in History and will probably come in with about 30-33 hours of AP credit. I believe most of those credits will be in courses within the College of Arts and Sciences so I was wondering if he could use one of the scholarship semesters to study abroad - which is something he has a great interest in doing.

@fatherof2boys‌

Yes, if you’re certain that he can graduate in 7 semesters, he can use a semester for study abroad.

Check to see if history majors can use their AP History credits.