Presidential scholarship

It would be interesting to know the enrolled breakdown of how many of each scholarship is given out. Are there more Presidential’s or do some of the lower scholarships bring in more for example OOS kids .

There is a huge number of Presidential…like 1000 who accept/enroll, but that includes the NMF students as well.

Don’t know how many are awarded.

I would like to see a larger award for OOS ACT 28. I imagine that the yield isn’t great at that level simply because the award doesn’t make much of a dent. Previous years it’s been $4k per year. I’d like to see it at $8500 per year, at least. That’s about a 1/3 tuition discount.

In the past, ACT 29 has been given a half tuition discount. The difference between an ACT 28 and 29 shouldn’t be that huge … $13k vs $4k. That just seems crazy.

The new oos scholarship requirements are posted.

Still awaiting the engineering scholarship guidelines.

http://scholarships.ua.edu/types/out-of-state.html

ops was my browser…

So glad they didn’t change the 32. Since UA is DS’s top choice right now.

It is sort of weird that going from 27 to 28 only gets you an extra $500 per year, when going from 28 to 29 bumps you $9000 (and going from 29 to 30 only adds another ~$5k). Its like, whats so special about 29?!

I’m just glad it’s all still in place. Now back to work on him getting that magic 32, but I won’t complain about a 30 either !

@STEM2017 right there with you at a 31(2nd time) and 30(1st). Third time with the ACT hopefully will be the charm:)

I am still only seeing the postings for 2016-17. Is there something that I am missing? Is a 30 still 2/3s tuition? Any info would be great!

If you have the old page saved and you’re going off that then that may be your problem.

Go straight to the alabama website. Start from there.

For oos a 30-31 is still 2/3 tuition.

@Wisconsinite99

Try a different browser. I could see the changes using Internet Explorer but Firefox was showing the old page still. Clearing cookies didn’t make any difference.

@jeepgirl Will your DD also take the SAT?

Happy dance here. DS still qualifies for Presidential. Application in and waiting on school transcripts. Good luck to everyone still trying to get higher SAT/ACT.

I’m sure this has been answered 10,000 times already but can you go ahead and begin the application process without sending act scores and transcripts? And if so, are there any benefits to doing this?

Yes. and Yes. That way you can get the scholarship application filled out.

Thanks for the response.

@mom2collegekids she has taken it and did not do as well. Luckily for her, we can afford UA with the UA scholar, but Presidential means she can do sorority with out having to pay for it herself. Our deal is if she gets the 32, we pay, if not she pays or doesn’t do it. She went in blind to both tries on the ACT, so we are hoping by actually studying this summer she can get it up to the 32. It has been a hard lesson for her to learn. We encouraged her to study for her second time, explained what the 32 meant, but she took the easy way out. She totally has the ability and is now spending 5 hours a week paying the price:)

My son has already completed the online application and received login info to complete the scholarship application. Is it ok to delay doing this until he returns to school in late August to include additional volunteer or potential leadership positions? UA has his ACT scores as they were sent automatically when he tested but transcripts won’t arrive until at least September from his high school. I thought I read somewhere that the scholarship cannot be changed after submitted which is why I prefer for him to wait.

@mom2collegekids A 28 on the ACT is in the 89th percentile. A 29 is in the 92nd percentile. That’s a pretty big gap. I think Alabama is being very generous in trying to bring the best and brightest from around the nation, but they have to draw the line somewhere. Those who know where that line is can retake the ACT as many times as they wish. You would think kids would be taking the ACT six or eight times, but they don’t. I guess Momma and Daddy are paying.