Presidential Scholarship

My son has received the Presidential and engineering scholarships. If he receives ROTC to Alabama, can he has the other scholarships for living expenses?

Thanks!

I don’t know the particulars involved with ROTC.

However, the Presidential is written as equivalent to Tuition. It isn’t written where it can only be used for tuition. Many use the Presidential to cover other expenses if they already have tuition covered by some means.

Here may be your answer for UA and ROTC. Otherwise call them - Military Science Dept number is given:

https://catalog.ua.edu/undergraduate/academic-enrichment-opportunities/military-programs/army-rotc/

Also can see what the Scholarship office says on ‘stacking’:

https://catalog.ua.edu/undergraduate/about/student-financial-aid/

Please give feedback to this thread, so others can learn what you find out.

I know with some other programs, like other scholarships or pre-paid college tuition for AL, funds do get refunded (for example to my DD who lives off campus and has the two scholarships OP mentions plus PACT - the prepaid AL college tuition fund). When she lived on campus, she still had a little excess money refunded.

I reached out to a parent that herself had a ROTC scholarship. She knows of a student at another school that had other University scholarships and was then awarded ROTC and here is what she said “It doesn’t say on UAs website but I know of a student going to a Texas University with similar situation who lost all the grants and scholarships from that university when he applied and was awarded a three year ROTC scholarship. I think it’ll be school dependent. I was a three year scholarship winner back in the day and parents were able to keep my loans but no grants to pay for my R&B. These scholarships are about as competitive as getting into a top 10 school! Not as easy as when I applied that’s for sure!”

I believe the ‘problem’ will not be on the UA side, but on the ROTC side. Some military scholarships stipulate that the student is not eligible for govt/military money if a full-tuition scholarship is also offered. Check with depts/links above, as suggested. Good luck!

Bama reworded its scholarship a couple of years ago to avoid a problem with military awards regarding “tuition” so that students could stack.

It appears it is stackable but need to find out for sure. He is contacting the office to determine the particulars.

Son is a 3Q, nominated candidate to USMA and nominated but waiting on a waiver from USNA with a nomination. Hopefully he finds out if he receives an appointment to an academy sooner than later. It’s been a wild ride his senior year. Would love to know where he will be this fall. It’s a Momma thing.