PRISM+Foote Fellow

<p>Hey everyone. I was at the Stamps weekend earlier this month and was really impressed with UM, and since I got the Singer scholarship, I decided to commit. I'm majoring in biochem and am deciding between going to vet school or getting involved in diabetes research. Anyway, one thing I was really excited about was the flexibility the foote fellowship gives you in choosing your courses, since I have a diverse range of interests. For example, I don't plan on doing anything career-wise with marine science, but I'd love to take a class or two at RSMAS. I also want to study abroad, so I'll need some flexibility.</p>

<p>I also got invited to the Prism program. From what I can tell, it definitely has some advantages like small, more research-focused classes, and I'm sure it will look good for grad school. But I'm also a little worried about how restrictive the schedule is. Since you can't really choose your classes, I feel like this undermines the freedom of being a foote fellow. It also kind of bugs me that I can't use AP credits, and I've heard it's a GPA killer. Does anybody have any opinions about combining the foote fellowship and Prism?</p>

<p>Congrats on committing and even more congrats for Singer!! </p>

<p>Regarding PRISM/FF honestly I would email Dr. Green and ask. He did most of the “advertising” of the Foote Fellow program at Stamps weekend so is probably the best one to ask. I remember my mentor saying something about PRISM and FF, I think it might have been that they don’t work well together or something, I’m not sure. Doesn’t PRISM include general education science class requirements? If so, it defeats the purpose of being a FF.</p>

<p>Thanks for the reply! I’ll definitely email dr green sometime this weekend. At the moment, I’m leaning towards just doing ff and holding off on prism, but I’ll see what he has to say.</p>