Foote Fellows

<p>Has anyone received notification / information about the Foote Fellows program? As it was explained to me, if you attended Singer Weekend, you would qualify for this program. Has anyone from the February Singer weekend received an invite yet?</p>

<p>I attended the February Singer, and I received notice that I was a Foote Fellow when I heard back about the Singer Scholarship results in my email/letter.</p>

<p>My DH also attended the Feb. weekend and was under the same assumption. After many emails, it was revealed that you must be invited and have minimum standards...my DS did not make the cut unfortunately. Seems unfair that they led the group to believe that and it did not turn out that way.</p>

<p>I got the 4,000 Gables and was invited. I believe most who received additional money to the 24,000 were invited to be one.</p>

<p>DS also got the Gables extra $ and was not invited to be a Foote Fellow...I believe there were 3 levels, Singer, Gables with Foote, Gables...I may be wrong, but that seems to be the consensus.</p>

<p>Did she get 2,000 a year?</p>

<p>In my letter, it mentioned that the program was for students who have taken a very broad course load.</p>

<p>I've taken an AP or two in just about every discipline. Science, Social Science, History, Math, Computers...</p>

<p>And I did pretty well in them all. It's not a punishment being rejected, I don't think. It may just be that your son or daughter seemed to have made up their mind and didn't need the freedom of the Foote Fellows program in order to fulfill their academic interests.</p>

<p>Yes, he got 2,000/year and will have 7 AP's upon graduation. 4.875 GPA (straight A's throughout high school), salutatorian of class out of 450. 33 ACt. I was told his ACT was too low and that the average was 34, but he had the rank and GPA above their averages.
Not a big deal, but the flexiblity of Foote would have been nice. He is still going to Miami and is excited about it. When I asked them to reevaluate his application, they said no.</p>

<p>Well congratulations on the accomplishments so far! Maybe becoming a Foote Fellow after freshman year is possible? I'm probably in the same boat with going there. It would take a lot for me to end up elsewhere.</p>

<p>Oops! I read DS and thought you were talking about daughter for a second. I forget these college crazy abbreviations sometimes!</p>

<p>I received the extra $4,000 and was given Foote, and I had a 33 ACT (super score 34), 4.4 GPA (4.0 UW), 8 APs, and #1 in my class. But I also think that my extra-curriculars were very, very good.</p>

<p>I'm posting this here since I figured some of you might be in the same boat as me. Right now I've got my final list of schools down to Northwestern, Vanderbilt, and Miami. I was leaning towards NU or vanderbilt until I learned that Miami offered me $24,000/yr + 4,000 gables scholarship and Foote Fellow membership. At NU and Vanderbilt I get to pay over 30K/yr. Now I'm faced with the dilemma of choosing an elite university where I would be one of many or a barely ranked university where I would be one of the elite. Does the scholarship money and the advantages of being a foote fellow outweigh the prestige and expense of the others? Any advice or opinions would be appreciated :)</p>

<p>I definately think that the scholarship money outweighs going to a more prestigious university. Last year I was deciding between Miami with the Singer Scholarship and being a Foote Fellow versus a prestigious University. I chose to attend the University of Miami and couldn't be happier. It is very nice to not have to worry about being in debt. Secondly, the Foote Fellow program is great. We have more individualized advising, no general education requirements, and a nice community of other Footes. As Foote Fellows we also have different events throughout the year to get to know each other and to get to know professors. First semester they offer a class for Foote Fellows taught by multiple professors, most the deans of the different colleges. It is really cool to know the Dean of the Music School on a first name basis even though I will probably never take a music class.<br>
I struggled with the same decision last year and couldn't be happier to be a Cane!
If you have any more specific questions feel free to ask.</p>

<p>my son and I attended the March Singer. He had gone early decision and was admitted in Dec. We got the notification yesterday that he got the extra 4000, not the Singer, and was named a Foote Fellow. It was my understanding that all Singers are Footes and some additional kids are asked to be Footes. He had 35ACT. All the kids invited (@300 total in 3 meetings) got the university scholarship and the invitees were based soley on ACT and SAT. Of each group 20-25% were to be given the Singer.</p>

<p>ilak1551-
As a parent of a student at Miami- Singer scholar/Foote fellow (and was valedictorian of his competitive high school with 4.0 in every class and 13 AP’s and 1 college credit course) I take offense at you calling Miami a “barely ranked university”.</p>

<p>Don’t have a clue what you are basing this on. If you leaning toward prestige at NU or Vandy, then go to one of those schools, and both are great, for sure. It is obvious to me that you know very little about Miami and what it offers, in a very broad sense.</p>

<p>I am very proud of my son, and my husband and I could not be any happier with a school than we are with UM.</p>

<p>Son got invited for Singers but could not make it for the interview, so they conducted it over the phone. He did not make it but got offered Foote’s. My question is about the program for Engineering, will it help to have this? He also got Merit aid.</p>

<p>The Foote Fellow program varies based on what school you are in. In engineering he will not have as much flexibility as a student in Arts and Sciences would have, but he would have more flexibility than other engineering students. I have some Foote friends who are engineers and they are waived on gen eds such as english or liberal arts classes. The Foote Fellow program also has a freshman seminar open just to Foote Fellows which involves reading a book and discussing it. We also have Foote Fellow events such as lunch at the Rat, attending the play Rent together preceded by Brunch, and other cool things that vary each semester. It is a nice community and being a Foote never hurt anyone.</p>

<p>Thanks ^^. Is it such a big deal that one should come to Miami because of that.</p>

<p>So Foote is for the genius, genius, genius kids? Like you have to get the Singer scholarship or at least interview for Singer to have a shot?</p>

<p>About how many Foote Fellows are there every year?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>I’m seeing a lot of posts that say a 34 ACT is mimimum threshold for Foote Fellows invitation. I’m wondering if that is the composite ACT score or if UM superscores the best of the individual ACT scores? </p>

<p>My daughter scored:
Science: 35
Math: 34
English: 31
Reading: 31
Composite: 33</p>

<p>Would her ACT be a 33 or a 35 (superscore of the parts)?
Thanks!
~Zinc</p>