Private/Public dorms? Which are you choosing?

<p>Your odds of actually getting Ogg are very slim. If seeing where you want to live is important to you, or at least having some idea, you should probably look at private options.</p>

<p>I don't have statistics, but ogg is the most requested dorm every year. Not even a quarter of those who request it get it.</p>

<p>Read the Res Halls brochure- look at the tables. You can find this online. Use Google Earth and Google Street View for Madison to look at the dorms and campus. Make lists- of different factors. location. building size, age, type. You can see a lot on the UW website. Check links for each dorm that you like. The biggest decision is lakeshore or southeast. You may not get your first choice but are most likely to get the area. Except where noted, and higher rates, all of the dorms have the same basics- the heating, plumbing and everything have been upgraded in recent years so there are no horrible dorms. For every thing better in one dorm there is something better in another- and which is better is dependent on who is talking. Don't worry too much about your choices, you will be able to change them before the May (June?) assignments are made. The important thing is to decide if you want to live in Res Halls. You are renting, not buying, it's only for 9 months, every dorm will be at least 1/2 freshmen, all will be UW students...</p>

<p>The new replacement Ogg was just built- newest on campus now. 3 years ago Smith was newest and Liz turned coed, that year they were the overwhelming favorites.</p>

<p>Yeah, MN Badger is right, Ogg is virtually impossible to get a room in unless you are a returning Housing resident (meaning you've lived in housing for a year and will return for at least one more, thus you get to pick your room on campus). You can't count on getting into Ogg. I would suggest considering the other Southeast dorms and ordering them in your order of preference - do put Ogg down as #1 if you really want it, though, you never know what might happen. I would suggest taking a look at Smith, Sellery, and Chadbourne if you want to stay that close to Grainger.</p>

<p>Remember that they reserve 1/2 the spots in every dorm (except the one non freshmen one) so the most popular dorms will only be up to half full when they do the assignments. Put down your top choice first, you might get lucky- just be prepared to get one further down on your list.</p>

<p>Is it just me or are some of the private dorms the same price as regular housing?</p>

<p>University</a> Housing - Billing & Payments</p>

<p>Compare</a> Lucky 101, Regent 101 and Highlander House | Campus Connect | Student Housing at UW-Madison</p>

<p>If the private dorms are nicer, and similarly priced to boot, why wouldn't more people live there? Is there some kind of large drawback to private housing (i.e. less campus interaction, less parties, etc.)?</p>

<p>My D was in the dorms last year (Witte) but knew people in the private dorms and also some from the "premium" UW dorms. While people from the Coast (I live in CA, but am a Badger alum) wouldn't blanch at the premium you pay for a nicer room at Ogg, some of the Wisconsin and Minnesota people may. This means places like Witte and Sellery (I assume the same for some of the more "established" Lakeshore dorms and Liz Waters) will likely have a diverse group (socio-economic) of students from MN and WI. Ogg may have a higher percentage of out-of-state students and kids from the more affluent suburbs of the feeder cities. Private dorms clearly had the image of Coastie enclaves. They usually cost more and have a little more of the upscale amenities. I am not sure if I could generalize about the personality of the different living arrangements but I encouraged my D to experience the Midwest...there is a special character...just good and sincere people. From what she heard the private dorms were a little different. Somewhat of an "entitlement" attitude.</p>

<p>When comparing costs be sure to remember that Res Halls food service is available to everyone but that prices are 60% less/more for dorm residents/nonresidents (not sure which way it goes- but it is significant either way). Also- if you share an apartment you need to provide all sorts of cooking/eating stuff (pots, pans, dishes...) and food, plus cleaning time/materials- unless that is provided. The cheapest double in Res Halls is $6,039 before any food purchases, with typical food they quote $7,179. Lucky charges $7,550 for its cheapest double, without any food. The others listed are further away from campus. Also- are all utilities included in private dorms?- that is another consideration. The Res Halls figures are used for computing expenses when financial aid is calculated- if you spend more you don't get additional funds to cover the additional expenses.</p>

<p>Alright, thanks for the insight wis75.</p>

<p>Some of the Lakeshore dorms are of the same vintage- circa '60's- as the Southeast towers. They chose low rise dorms for one area, highrise for the other. I wonder if some OOS students from urban areas choose Southeast because they are more used to the city like atmosphere? There are people from all over in all areas of campus. You can find the history of each dorm on the UW Res Halls website.</p>

<p>I have heard that greek life is very prominent in private housing areas, however I have not heard anything about its significance with people in public housing. anyone care to elaborate? (excuse my ignorance...)</p>

<p>Stated percentage for Greeks is 10%, many will come from OOS and live in private housing from what I hear on CC. It is not significant for public dorm residents- some will join but most ignore them.</p>

<p>If I go to Madison, I'm going to live in Lucky...and no I'm not a coastie, I'm a Sconie...and I know plenty of other Wisconsinites from just my school alone who are planning to live in Lucky 101...the coastie thing isn't as prevalent as many on these forums make it out to be...and not all of them are super rich...and I know I'm not rich either, but my parents agreed I could live in Lucky because 1) I get in-state tuition, and 2) I got a lot of scholarship $</p>

<p>Any others considering Lucky 101? I'm excited!!!</p>

<p>I have seen no figures but doubt there is a majority from the private housing as private housing is only a small portion (10-15%) of freshman housing. Here's a good overview of Greeks at UW.</p>

<p>::Go</a> Greek::</p>

<p>I've been studying the Residential Halls packet I received a week ago. As far as the Southeast vs. Lakeshore issue, I have narrowed it down to Lakeshore (even though I think Ogg and Smith are really really nice). I like Lakeshore because it is more open and it feels less "urban" than Sutheast. I would most likely be a pre-business major, taking the requirement classes, so I don't think I'd be taking classes in Graiger Hall when I'm a freshman. </p>

<p>What my dorm priorities are:</p>

<p>-close to classes
-nice green space nearby
-good food nearby</p>

<p>Other ammenities I like (But I obviously doubt I get):
-low student-bathroom ratio
-carpeting
-air conditioning</p>

<p>Read the Res Halls brochure. You pay extra for air conditioning- not useful except perhaps early Sept and late May. Most dorms don't have carpeting- students bring rugs- sizes in Res Halls info. All of them have the same food service, you can eat anywhere. You can't count on getting your first choice, be prepared to walk the campus. Do your homework- everything can be found on the UW website.</p>

<p>i went around campus yesterday and visited a few of the dorm and other housing. my friend accurately described adams/ILC as a bomb shelter on the lake; also visited chadbourne and the CRC and was very pleased with everything but the communal bathrooms. it seems the benefit to choosing a hall where there is and established "community", is that the extra you are paying is all put into a general fund for social events that groups of students can acccess (guide gave a red hot chili peppers concert with reduced ticket prices as an example...). also visited lucky...if my parents okay it and i decide to go, i will be staying in lucky</p>

<p>I signed up for University housing but now I want to switch to private. I heard you can't do this but is there anything I can do. I really want to live in private housing?</p>

<p>You have to ask in writing ASAP to have it terminated. If they can fill the space they probably won't charge you--but they could. I'd write and call to see what they say. Before you sign any new contracts.</p>

<p>I'm going to visit next Thursday so I'll speak to them in person. Do you think that's enough in advance?</p>

<p>And what's the best way to get out of it?</p>