Pros & Cons vs University of Florida

<p>I had called UF last week and they have yet to return my call. Grrrr.</p>

<p>We were at UCF too and that is true. Fortunately, we have Fl prepaid and so are willing to assume the risk because our older S attends UF and is extremely happy there. UCF’s deal is hard to turn down, though, for sure.</p>

<p>@saismom I emailed Max Mauney at Student Financial Affairs.</p>

<p>@Cshecmia Can you clarify your statement regarding finalists receiving letters from UF. Are you saying they already were accepted and told UF would give an institutional NMF award so they would qualify for the Florida Merit Incentive program? Really curious because I was told (albeit a couple months back) UF would not be offering any NMF scholarship but would be part of the incentive if you became a scholar in one of the other mentioned categories. Doesn’t UF also wait till Valentine’s day to release acceptances? Thx</p>

<p>Sorry I wasn’t being clear. Yes, acceptances will not be released until Feb 13. I have received confirmation that last year, accepted National Merit Finalists did receive the Fl Incentive Scholarship, and that this will continue for 2015. I was advised that the UF website wording “Only Scholars” was an error and it has since been changed to “Finalists”.</p>

<p>@Cshecmia Thanks again for contributing. One follow up. Do you happen to know if the three you refer to had been named as “scholars” by winning in any of the other categories? If UF did just step up treat any of them as the other state schools would, (give them any NMF merit) so they qualify for the incentive program, my son’s situation would be much brighter and we’d already have a solid plan. Other schools could then be compared to this excellent starting package. Cheers.</p>

<p>My understanding is that the 3 students were Finalists and that the only award received was via UF/Fl Incentive. 1 of the 3 did accept and attend, the other 2 went elsewhere. I am happy to forward to you the email that I received from UF, but they stopped just short of coming out and saying, “Yes, your kid will get it- relax!” Remember that UCF does guarantee the award for 4 years, regardless of funding, while UF does not.</p>

<p>I’ve communicated offline with @Cshecmia and an individual at UF’s Scholarships department and can state that UF has stepped up and created a NMF scholarship for any student that does not win other awards needed to become a recipient of the Florida Incentive Scholarship. This will permit any NMF that chooses UF to qualify for the scholarship and bridge the difference between Bright Futures and a full ride. Prorated payment might come into play if too many students choose this option but it is still a great bonus for any family that was considering UF! It looks to be about a $15-17K/year bump.</p>

<p>Go gators!</p>

<p>Has UF actually posted the name of this new scholarship on their website? Yes, we have a friend who was NOT named a scholar and she is now getting credit on her account for the FIS. Parents are very happy. This is a girl from class of 2014.</p>

<p>@Saismom It is not posted on the UF website though I expect it will be updated soon. Best wishes to all future Gators!</p>