Purdue Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

Thanks! Purdue is a great choice, but on the high end of the price range. I think that will knock it out for him. He’s very open to types of campuses it still seems. Rose Hulman is the same price as Purdue at this point, and I think RHIT would be ahead of where he’ll go. The only big downside of RHIT is the lack of a marching band. And he’s still waiting on Michigan. We were really hoping the rumor of it being Friday was right!

To me it looks like yield protection. He will do very well where-ever he goes.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing. 12 APs is no joke for a 18 year old!

The Presidential Scholarship info was the entire third paragraph of his admissions letter.

Purdue admits are all put into FYE. At the end of their first year they apply into specific programs- ME, chem, etc. Different disciplines have different first year gpa requirements.

Here is a study that tracks University ROI for CS per FreOpp. Obviously factors such as geography play a factor but it does serve to provide some context…

1. CMU $4,125,963
  2. Rice $3,781,869
  3. Brown $3,535,080
  4. Stanford $3,305,484
  5. Yale $3,296,380
  6. Harvard $3,268,145
  7. Caltech $3,102,888
  8. Cornell $2,966,699
  9. Cal Poly $2,920,317
  10. MIT $2,909,266
  11. UCLA $2,853,535
  12. UC Berkeley $2,843,321
  13. Duke $2,546,552
  14. Johns Hopkins $2,515,869
  15. Vanderbilt $2,461,053
  16. UIUC $2,417,724
  17. U Michigan $2,258,080
  18. Columbia $2,130,692
  19. GeorgiaTech $1,966,139
  20. UW Seattle $1,943,759
  21. University of Chicago $1,759,496
  22. USC $1,746,446
  23. UT Austin $1,701,149
  24. UC Davis $1,683,705
  25. UC San Diego $1,595,324
  26. Purdue $1,547,437
  27. UC Santa Barbara $1,530,075
  28. NYU $1,478,390
  29. UW Madison $1,378,374
  30. ASU $1,154,840
  31. UC Santa Cruz $752,320

Here is the link so you can look at individual schools by major…

The student is the most important variable and particularly in CS a T20 or bust mentality is misguided in spite of the range of financial outcomes.

In general terms @CTDad-classof2022 may be correct that a few years out no one cares about what college you went to, there are however (as @legend398 suggests) measurable differences in financial outcomes associated with the choice of schools.

1 Like

Son got in CS for OOS. We didn’t apply honor college (don’t know we have to write extra essay). He submitted application one day before deadline. Anyone knows what’s the benefits for honor program? Different class or have priority to enroll class ?

1 Like

Ironically, some of the very top earning CS professionals never graduated from college at all.

1 Like

Which is why I highlight the importance of the individual. Most individuals however are unlikely to be successful in becoming the next Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg (both Harvard drop outs).

What is also ironic is that while we always hear about the handful of dropouts or non college grads that make it huge, you never hear about the vast majority who based on available data earn far less then they would have had they completed college.

While aspirational to focus on the rare and exceptional case an examination of the actual financial outcomes for the vast majority of students is the relevant consideration. Such an analysis indicates that there is a disparity of results based on the colleges attended.

Honors college had a number of advantages - housing, classes, honors advisors, etc… but since that ship has passed, don’t worry about it. Lots of ways to be highly successful at Purdue without being in honors.

2 Likes

Thanks ! Maybe apply to honor college after the freshmen year

Not many students opt to do that because honors housing is typically just for freshmen and your student would be behind in the honors credits needed to graduate with an honors diploma. IMO, it’s one of those things that isn’t worth it if you don’t start there.

I would encourage your student to look at some of the other living learning opportunities for CS. Learning Communities - Learning Communities. Here is the link to th CS specific LLC: LC Profiles

3 Likes

My DD can’t accept Purdue Nursing. I was a little surprised.
Since her older brother is a sophomore in Computer Engineering Purdue, we expected it to be relatively easy to accept. Perhaps the brothers attending school is not considered a Legacy admission or Purdue doesn’t seem to take care of the Legacy admission.

Also, I heard that this year’s Purdue Nursing has a lot more applicants than last year, but the competition rate was higher because there were fewer accepted applicants.

Fortunately, we’ve already been accepted at five other universities, so we’re getting a hold of ourselves and waiting for the news from the rest of the university.

Congratulations to everyone who was admitted this year!

Boiler Up!

Son accepted to engineering program with Presidential Scholarship.

3.89 UW
8 total AP classes
No test scores submitted

8 Likes

DS Admitted to the Cellular, Molecular and Developmental Biology major, Honors College and Presidential Scholarship. We are OOS and he is beyond happy!

7 Likes

My son was rejected for CS. OOS, 3.91 UW, 1540 SAY, 6 APs, decent EC.

Does anyone know the acceptance rate for deferrals? Specifically CS?

Yes we were hoping for two decisions yesterday as well. I think a lot of this group is waiting on Michigan :slight_smile: Purdue has tons of music ensembles, maybe even the most of any college, which is pretty appealing to S22. I’m sure it’s tough to think about giving up marching band, but RHIT can’t be beat for small undergrad engineering.

1 Like

Where do honors kids live after freshman year? Do they tend to stick together in another dorm or disperse into the larger community?

Those freshman dorms are pretty stunning. I wish it was a four year arrangement!

Daughter got accepted OOS, Biomedical Science major. We haven’t visited campus yet so we might since they have her preferred major. It will all come down to money and if they’ll accept any of her the college credits she has from our state school.

5 Likes